[OB] Lift worships Odium!?!?

theRoyalDingus

Now, I know this really isn't true, but just pretend it is for a minute and let's see how far we can take it.

I was just making a list of the ten types of pancakes in Yeddaw for someone, when I realized something suspicious about them pancakes. There are 9 physical pancakes and 1 imaginary/spiritual pancake. Now, these here numbers sound just a bit familiar. Yes, indeed, it is now quite obvious that these pancakes are a representation of Odium and his 9 Unmade! In Oathbringer we learn a lot about the nine Unmade, powerful spren of Odium.

Perhaps I can explain it through this overly complex and detailed chart which only the wisest of the wise and discerningfulest of the discerningfuls will be able to understand:

1 imaginary pancake - Odium*

9 other pancakes - 9 Unmade*

*Storms, just look at the complexity!

It all becomes clear now, the universe explained through pancakes! But I am sure there is still much to learn and discover, which is why I ask for you, fellow sharders, to help me in the quest for evidence and information to support this theory. Perhaps you could help ascribe certain pancakes to certain Unmade, or find other things which support this theory. I have a list of pancakes here: 

I dunno what we can find, but I can assure you that this will become the strongest theory to ever pervade the Shard!

The 'real' explanation probably has to do with the tenth pancake being symbolic of one of the Heralds. Given what Oathbringer told us about Ishar as both the 'Binder of Gods' and his current activities, the Tashi in whose memory the tenth pancake is dedicated could well be him; he's mentioned as the Binder of the World for example. Somewhat less likely, it could be Taln (the obvious 'Herald left out') but OB makes me suspect Ishar is the most likely candidate. Of course, if you think that Ishar is knowingly or unknowingly working for Team Odium then it doesn't hurt your argument any.

However, I am entirely in favor of explaining Life, the Cosmere and Everything via Pancakeology. There is the in-universe Palates of Personality which indulges in jam-based psychoanalysis, after all. So I'll start on some Pancake=Unmade correlations:

- There's one with sugar in the center. I submit that this is the Pancake of Ashtermarn. His whole thing is mindless indulgence. Clearly he is the Unmade who would encourage you to overeat sweet things and thus, develop hardened arteries. And what is Ashtermarn's appearance? A heart. QED.

- The one that's covered in crunchy seeds must refer to Chemoarish. She's the 'Dustmother' and the seeds are actually symbolic of the grit implied in that name, thus the pancake is eaten in memory of her.

- There's a pancake that's eaten for prosperity in the coming year. What can this be other than the Pancake of Moelach, the Unmade so associated with seeing the future? Eating this pancake is an attempt to symbolically become closer to the Unmade by invoking his aspect.

- The pancake that's salty and contains chopped vegetables must be Re-Shephir's pancake. Why? Because she's known as the Midnight Mother who gives birth to abominations and that pancake sounds storming disgusting. xD

- My last thought is that the one that's fluffy and almost insubstantial but comes with a dipping sauce must be of Yelig-Nar. The 'insubstantial' comment makes a clear reference to the Unmade's smoke-like form while the separate dipping sauce is in recognition of how he works by possessing a host, thus two things becoming one.

8 minutes ago, Weltall said:

The pancake that's salty and contains chopped vegetables must be Re-Shephir's pancake. Why? Because she's known as the Midnight Mother who gives birth to abominations and that pancake sounds storming disgusting. xD

Japanese savory pancakes, okonomiyaki, are delicious thank you very much. 

Now, I shan't question Okonomiyaki, as I've never tried it (but now I know to do so), but...

"dense variety, with mashed up paste in the center that was too sticky and salty" - this pancake obviously represents Nergaoul, the Unmade who causes the Thrill. Why? It sounds kinda wonky (Lift thinks the inside is a bit nasty, being too sticky and salty) and Nergaoul is described as "ancient and evil." Plus, being the creator of the Thrill, he would be associated with war and death, and the inside of the pancake is "sticky and salty." Like... blood. Ok, maybe they don't' fill their pancakes with blood (That's be real wonky), but they at least represent blood with some other mixture of ingredients, giving reverence to Nergaoul.

• theRoyalDingus changed the title to [OB] Lift worships Odium!?!?

Threads like this are literally why I come to The Shard.

Of course, these are just the 10 known pancakes. Sometime during Dragonsteel or Mistborn Era 4, we will discover there are really 17 pancakes. One for each Shard, and the Unseen Pancake for Adonalsium. Each pancake is a perfect illustration of the complex nature of one of the 16 Shards, and only by eating all 16 in one bite, can you reach nirvana and become one with god.

So if these ten smaller pancakes are really just unmade and Odium, would that mean that they are minor pancakes? If we combined the 9 Unmade could we get actually make the Odium pancake? Maybe that's why the tenth pancake isn't physical! Nobody has combined the nine Unmade physical pancakes, and until that happens, the Odium pancake will remain nonexistent! Perhaps Preservation has sixteen minor pancakes! I wonder what they are...

Sja-anat, Taker of Secrets.

The Creator: Her twisted creations are her beloved children. Her admiration of the breakfast cakes of our world inspires her.

The Corrupter: She seeks the children of Waffle and the children of Crepes.  With one touch she corrupts.

.....and syrup is.....a perpendicularity....uh....bridging the realm between pancakes and man.

Edited by Zellyia

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there's definitely some real theories about the Fools being connected to the Heralds so let's go with that. The Tenth Pancake that is only symbolic thus stands for the Tenth Fool, Sir-Not-Appearing-On-This-Menu, ala The Man Calling Himself Taln, aka the Fool who dreamed he was a Herald and believed it to be true, but he was actually a butterfly dreaming he was a man dreaming he was a Herald.

• Chaos locked this topic