Black Panther

Archer

3 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

I might have thought of something that doesn't quite make sense in BP - help me out fellow Sharders & tell me if this is a real plot gap or maybe I just missed something.

Hide contents

How did Killmonger know that the Wakandans were looking for Klaue, and know that it would mean something to them if he showed up with the body?

Most Likely explanation is Klaue himself told him.  Klaue was very free with what he knew in his CIA interrogation, and he's not exactly balanced enough to keep a lid on himself when he knows more than someone else.

Related questions: Was he able to figure out something that the CIA didn't?  Given the CIA knew nothing of Wakanda's capability I'd say the answer is yes...

If he knew that Klaue stole the vibranium years ago, did he also know that his own father had played a part, and had betrayed the Wakandans? and if that was the case, why would Killmonger be loyal to people who had turned their backs on his father and especially on him? Why would he want to rule Wakanda? - - wouldn't he more likely want to destroy it?

If you assume as I do that Klaue told Killmonger himself of his theft and all, then Killmonger certainly knew what his father did, either through Klaue or from his father's own  mouth.  I lean to the latter, as Killmonger knew his Wakandan name and descent.  Note, it's pretty obvious Killmonger never told Klaue that he was half Wakandan - he wasn't nearly as forthcoming. The whole purpose of Killmonger taking the crown was to use Wakanda's power to change the lives of black people around the world - and probably to wreak some havoc along the way and settle some scores.  Loyalty isn't what he is showing. It's only when he is dying that he reflects on what his dad told him of Wakanda.  Destroying Wakanda wouldn't have made his goal possible.

my thoughts are in blue in the spoiler tags.

Just saw it last night. Definitely one of my favorite Marvel movies and overall superhero movies. It was fast paced enough to not lag but gave a number of slower moments to let the audience breath. The different culture that the movie portrayed was really cool and discussed some interesting messages that were interesting to think about after the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a really good superhero movie. Definitely very well directed and the ending scene of the climax was beautiful. I have a couple of issues with the story though:

Spoiler

In hindsight, the whole part with Erik working with Klaue to steal the artifact was kind, non-sensical to his motivations. His drive was to get to Wakanda and use their technology to help black people everyone. While delivering Klaue to them surely would've helped him get admitted, if the whole "royal blood" card was insufficient, that feels more like it should've been a secondary goal. For instance, if he had gone to Wakanda straight, then get on their good side, he had offered information that he had gathered on Klaue, then maybe teamed up with T'Challa to go after him, with the coup happening afterwards. 

Second part is why the 5th tribe refused to help them with their warriors only to help the anyways. Also, I feel like their assistance didn't even do anything, as regardless of the people up-top losing, T'Challa and Erik were still fighting in isolation and it feels a bit unlikely that others could've intervened in their fight in time, so T'Challa would've still been made king anyways. As it's unlikely that the border guard would've done any permanent damage to the others, he would've instantly fixed things anyways.

On 2/20/2018 at 11:44 AM, MonsterMetroid said:

My question is do the events in this movie happen before or after his part in civil war in the timeline because I couldn't tell.

At the start of the movie, the news broadcast playing said that it had been a week since the bombing in Civil War. Also, considering he's using the old suit in the entirety of Civil War, and the reference to Bucky in the middle, it's pretty much certain that it's after, also considering the speed at which the events of Civil War happened.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

I'm not a big action movie fan but even I was impressed with what I saw.

One concern: it's established that Klaue got hit arm-cannon from Wakanda, so why don't we see that kind of firepower again? They could have seriously put that kind of tech to use in the final battle, but instead it's just modern-looking versions of medieval swords and shields for the most part.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Ammanas said:

So is this movie just a good superhero movie or it is a platform to promote black rights/grievances. I have not seen the movie and the question is asked in earnest.

I don't think it was used as a platform at all.  At least not for rights or grievances.  If anything, I would say that the movie's message is that black people of wealth and influence should be doing more to help their lesser privileged people.  

But it really is a fantastic movie.  One of the best in the MCU as others have said.  One of the best superhero movies period, right up there with The Dark Knight.  When I heard all of the praise that it was getting at first my thoughts were that it was because of the current political climate and that no one wanted to say anything bad about a movie that was comprised mostly of black people.  I thought Wonder Woman for instance was a little over rated.  

Much to my very pleasant surprise, Black Panther though was really, really good.  Definitely a must see.

Edited by Wolven

On 2/18/2018 at 9:46 AM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

So for example, Civil War you need to watch both previous Captain America's, both Avengers, and really almost every other Marvel movie for it to make sense.

Not true; I watched Civil War without seen only Captain America 1, Avengers 1, and practically nothing else in the MCU up to that point, and the whole thing made pretty good sense to me. 

Edited by Quickbronze

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2018 at 5:34 AM, Elenion said:

I'm not a big action movie fan but even I was impressed with what I saw.

One concern: it's established that Klaue got hit arm-cannon from Wakanda, so why don't we see that kind of firepower again? They could have seriously put that kind of tech to use in the final battle, but instead it's just modern-looking versions of medieval swords and shields for the most part.

Because...

Klaue said that the arm was a repurposed mining laser. We don't get to see Wakandan mines. We do, however, get to see scaled up versions of that laser, on the ships.

As for why they don't use them in personal combat, because, tradition, maybe? Tradition being a major thing in Wakanda it seems.

I also have to agree though. Black Panther was brilliant.

Infinity War this weekend, then Ant Man and the Wasp comes out soon. I am so looking forward to that one.