Black Panther

Archer

Marvel's much hyped movie Black Panther is finally out. Costing over $200 million to create, the movie is one of the biggest releases of the year. What I want to know is does it meet expectations? If you've seen it, share your opinion below. I'm excited to hear people's reviews! 

Edited by Archer

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

It's awesome. One of the best in the MCU. Shuri and Killmonger were standouts. Andy Serkis is great too, as is Martin Freeman, and Danai Guiria and Winstone Duke, and Chadwick... everyone is great.

It is great.

See it.

Now. 

Amen to everything he just said. I saw it last night and it was FANTASTIC. 

Definitely in the top 3 MCEU movies, and I could see  convincing arguments being made that it is the best one. 

It definitely has the most substance and the best development of an antagonist out of all the movies (in other words, they do a lot more in one movie. Loki required two movies before becoming a memorable antagonist).

It also helps develop the MCEU towards Infinity War without being beholden to it at all. It fits perfectly in the timeline and is essential to setting up Infinity War, but if every other Marvel movie disappeared it would still stand purely on its own merits. One does not have to see any other Marvel movie to understand and enjoy Black Panther. 

As far as how it fits with other comic book movies? Only Logan gives it any real competition. 

40 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Both GotG volumes, the first Avengers, Ragnarok and arguably Civil War gives it a run for its money, I think. Logan is kinda overrated...

Any sequel I leave out of the running because it can not stand on its own. So for example, Civil War you need to watch both previous Captain America's, both Avengers, and really almost every other Marvel movie for it to make sense. So though I thoroughly enjoyed it, it can never be the best because it's a development of the universe and not really defining or creating the universe. 

In a Sanderson example, The Emperor's Soul is his best work in part because it actually stands on its own. 

That's my thinking anyway. 

13 minutes ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Any sequel I leave out of the running because it can not stand on its own. So for example, Civil War you need to watch both previous Captain America's, both Avengers, and really almost every other Marvel movie for it to make sense. So though I thoroughly enjoyed it, it can never be the best because it's a development of the universe and not really defining or creating the universe. 

In a Sanderson example, The Emperor's Soul is his best work in part because it actually stands on its own. 

That's my thinking anyway. 

Then we just think really differently :-) I count everything and anything. 

5 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

So is this movie just a good superhero movie or it is a platform to promote black rights/grievances. I have not seen the movie and the question is asked in earnest.

You should see it. Talking further about it might be considered spoilerish.

I will say that the director stated he made the movie to be enjoyed by everyone. 

Saw this Saturday with my two kids 9 and 10. I absolutely loved it and thought the casting was top notch. I mentioned bringing my kids because I was prepared for the violence and language but not the social messages as well. I won’t get in to it too much other than it was a little more adult than I thought it would be. 

Other than that this was an extremely successful adaptation in my opinion. I was really intrigued by the Black Panther in Civil War and happy to see the stand alone so successful.

Just saw it today. A very excellent movie!!

All the fight scenes were awesome, especially with so many women kicking chull without anyone blinking an eye or thinking it was unusual. I also appreciated T'Challa's reluctance to kill. (I think that's vague enough that it doesn't need a spoiler tag.)

It was good.  It seems like with every new MCU movie, everyone says it's one of the best ones yet.  Is it recency bias, or do these movies keep getting better?  I'd say the former.  I bet if I tried to rank the MCU movies, this would fall in the middle, which is by no means a bad thing.

It least the villains are getting better.  Michael Jordan stole the show, and made the lead look unimpressive by comparison.  

Spoiler

I just wish that more villains aside from Loki would stick around for longer than 1 movie.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:07 AM, Ammanas said:

So is this movie just a good superhero movie or it is a platform to promote black rights/grievances. I have not seen the movie and the question is asked in earnest.

It was brought up but it was not dwelt upon or used as a bludgeon to define the movie. It was really well done.

On 2/18/2018 at 7:59 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Both GotG volumes, the first Avengers, Ragnarok and arguably Civil War gives it a run for its money, I think. Logan is kinda overrated...

I agree with this though I would put Black panther above the second GotG

My question is do the events in this movie happen before or after his part in civil war in the timeline because I couldn't tell.

@MonsterMetroid I would say after. All the stuff in Civil War happened in a relatively short span of time, and the blurb waaaaay at the end of the Black Panther credits confirms this.

(Further explanation in spoiler)

Spoiler

After the credits we see Bucky under the care of T'Challa's sister Shuri. Bucky didn't go to Wakanda until the end of Civil War.

I saw "Black Panther" last Tuesday & only now have time to post.

I absolutely loved the film. Casting, cinematography, costumes & sets - all top-notch. It seemed like there was a little less CGI - or maybe less scenes that were mostly CGI - than many other superhero movies, and having more live-action worked well. I think it might legitimately get some Oscar nods next year for more categories than effects & makeup - the acting and directing, and the script too, were that good.

I didn't sense any heavy-handed "message" in it - just the same kind of moral dilemmas and characters working through them that we see in Brandon's books.

One of the things that heightened my enjoyment even more was the crowds! The family next to me had driven 15-20 miles because every showing that evening - EVERY showing - at the multiplex near their home was entirely sold out - that's 7-8 theaters, 3-4 showtimes each, at the biggest cinema in town.

BP is really a cultural phenomenon in a positive way, and I hope to see it at least once more in the theater ... especially after reading @Sunbird's comment! Aaarrrgggh!! A friend at work who's a total Marvel geek assured me that there was only 1 post-credits scene, so I focused on talking with the lady next to me & left when she did, evidently before the other post-credits scenes! Storming CJ and his storming "assurance!!" Last time I trust that Voidbringer! ;)

I saw Black Panther last night, and I am quick to second everything that everybody else has said. It was AMAZING!!!! There were a few moments, small plot points, and unnessisary camera jumps (they escape me right now) that could have been developed further, but this is probably one of the best MCU movies they have ever churned out. The amount of non-sexualized female characters was breathtaking, there was a lot less swearing than most Marvel movies, and the Wakandan culture they created was vibrant. They also have the much-needed message of "be a responsible adult when you mess up", which is a good balance to GotG and CW.

Plus, his younger sister is freaking awesome. And canonically the most intelligent person in the Marvel Universe.

Conclusion: Watch. This. Movie. I say that it is the best that Marvel has put out.

Oh, and Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman (Golum and Bilbo) are the two Tolkien white characters.

Edited by I am Witless
Made a bad pun, and I'm not sorry at all.

I might have thought of something that doesn't quite make sense in BP - help me out fellow Sharders & tell me if this is a real plot gap or maybe I just missed something.

Spoiler

How did Killmonger know that the Wakandans were looking for Klaue, and know that it would mean something to them if he showed up with the body?

Related questions: Was he able to figure out something that the CIA didn't? If he knew that Klaue stole the vibranium years ago, did he also know that his own father had played a part, and had betrayed the Wakandans? and if that was the case, why would Killmonger be loyal to people who had turned their backs on his father and especially on him? Why would he want to rule Wakanda? - - wouldn't he more likely want to destroy it?

I just saw the movie again yesterday - every bit as good as the first time. Definitely one to see on the big screen!