On 21/02/2018 at 8:49 PM, randuir said:

@Drake Marshall, can an elim that also has a role sue both the role and submit a kill at the same time?

So, can a player both take an action, and cast a vote? I assume the answer is yes, otherwise you would have people using their abilities then dying for not voting.

1 hour ago, Bort said:

So, can a player both take an action, and cast a vote? I assume the answer is yes, otherwise you would have people using their abilities then dying for not voting.

I'm not the GM, but I think I can answer this one. Each cycle, a player gets 1 action and 1 vote. The vote must happen or else they die. A player can choose whether or not to put in an action, but since the elim kill counts as an action they cannot perform the elim kill and use a role action, because they only get one action per cycle.

1 hour ago, Elenion said:

I'm not the GM, but I think I can answer this one. Each cycle, a player gets 1 action and 1 vote. The vote must happen or else they die. A player can choose whether or not to put in an action, but since the elim kill counts as an action they cannot perform the elim kill and use a role action, because they only get one action per cycle.

Correct on all counts.

I do not really count a vote as an "action". To my knowledge, there have not been any games that do count it as an action, but that might actually be a very interesting game mechanic for certain setups.

8 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Correct on all counts.

I do not really count a vote as an "action". To my knowledge, there have not been any games that do count it as an action, but that might actually be a very interesting game mechanic for certain setups.

Would be difficult, since you could track who couldn't have made the elim kill. You'd have to have another action that a certain  number of players need to take, or something bad happens.

44 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Would be difficult, since you could track who couldn't have made the elim kill. You'd have to have another action that a certain  number of players need to take, or something bad happens.

I was thinking of a system where you had 2 actions that you could choose to delegate somewhere. you could vote twice, do 2 actions based on your role, or vote and do your role action.

3 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

2 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

I was thinking of a system where you had 2 actions that you could choose to delegate somewhere. you could vote twice, do 2 actions based on your role, or vote and do your role action.

Yeah, I'm thinking you would either have to make some actions critical enough that the eliminators would have some space to hide in (at this point, the game starts looking a bit like avalon or secret hitler), or you would have to give everybody 2 action slots, or you could make the eliminator kill not count as an action (although that would be pretty weird if even voting constituted an action).

Regardless, nothing like that is present in this game, though it's kind of a fun thought experiment.

I don’t think I can sign up, and in the case that my earlier post got buried, I’m posting the same thing again. The mechanics sound cool, but I don’t have a lot of time to participate in it (I have a bit more free time due to losing in the LG, but more stuff is coming up).

Can I get a spec link?

cycle1_1.jpg

Snow flurried about the camp. On its outskirts, Marshall Amaranth Incarnadine studied the scout, mulling over the implications of what he had just heard.

"And you are sure of this?"

"Absolutely, sir."

"Very well then," he sighed. "...follow me."

Incarnadine approached the center of the camp, what might have once been a town hall of sorts before the Manywar spread across this region. Seated around the embers of a dying fire, a small group of soldiers played dice and swapping bits and bobs.

Incarnadine looked to the scout. "Go ahead and tell them what you just told me."

The scout began, "these ruins are the only thing that even approximate shelter anywhere nearby. And somebody must be controlling the band of lifeless we spotted a few days back, given their movements."

"And your point?" one of the soldiers asked, looking up from their dice.

"It means the one who is directing those lifeless is in our midst right now."

Sorry I'm late. I'm a little new to the whole GM thing and I may have failed to anticipate everything that needed to be done prior to hitting the post button on this. If people ask for it, I could extend this cycle to make up for the lost time.

You will receive a GM PM soon if you have not already. All of you now have PMs.

Also, note that this is the only cycle in the game during which you can safely not cast a vote.

Player List

1. A Joe in the Bush

2. Elenion

3. Randuir

4. Livinglegend

5. Shqueeves

6. Bort

7. BrightnessRadiant

8. Straw

9. TheMightyLopen

10. MacThorstenson

11. Devotary of Spontaneity

12. Ecthelion

13. Coop772

14. MonsterMetroid

15. Droughtbringer

16. RippleGylf

17. Arinian

Rollover

blu_1519887600.png

I don't think we need an extension. We've still got plenty of time.

Anyways, even though I don't have to vote this cycle, that doesn't mean I don't want to! :D Coop, you seem suspicious. It's just a gut read. You just seem off somehow. I just haven't gotten a village vibe from you. Now no one can say my vote doesn't have any reasoning behind it, hehe

"A spy, here, among us?" Jaaver could only barely contain his righteous indignation. "This shall not stand! The long arm of the Idrian military police will apprehend this cretin and bring him to justice! And I, commander Jaaver, shall be the firm grasp of the hand of justice's long arm!" Having properly declared his identity and intent, he turned towards the soldiers playing dice. "You all have hereby been deputized into the search for this villain! Go forth, and report any suspicious or extravagant behavior to me!" After giving his orders, Jaaver turned around and marched away.

Or he tried to at any rate. As he made his perfect by-the-book about-face, his heel slipped on a particularly slippery bit of ground, and he fell face-first into the mud.

Well, there's a couple of rules in this game I'd like to comment on. First of all, everyone needs to vote, or they'll die, which also removes the possibility of a no-lynch first cycle, unless we spread the votes out in such a manner that everyone only has one vote. That seems somewhat easy to game for me, so I suggest not doing that.

The most notable ability is that people in the dead doc can be contacted by awakeners, so if you're dead, try to keep up with the game and analysis, as it might still help. That having been said, awakeners can be good or bad, so do be a bit careful with information security. Sharing info about suspects is fine, but if you happened to learn the roles of everyone in the village, maybe not share that info.

The other roles are fairly standard, so I'm not going to comment on it apart from telling sentry's to sentry, and captains to not advertise their presence until they believe it necessary, as knowledge of the number of vote manipulators is pretty useful for the elims.

There's one more thing. Before the game started I came up with an elim ploy for ferreting out awakeners, which was to not kill anyone on the first or second cycle, and let them believe they role-blocked the killer by luck. I recommend that if a no-kill cycle does happen, awakeners make sure to PM someone with who they blocked, rather than revealing themselves in the thread.

Edit: oops, misread that we can in fact not vote this cycle, and this cycle only. That doesn't make that a good idea, but it means it's apparently an option.

Edited by randuir

Bort grunted. Bloody spies, here as well? Typical. Well, not much to do other than keep his eyes open, and a hand on one of his many spiky weapons.

Then along comes some fellow claiming to be a commander, and going on about vagrant behaviour, or something like that.

Or what about that guy claiming to be Lucky? That was a bit dodgy. He was probably one of the spies and hoped his 'luck' would let him pass unnoticed.

That was as good a logic as any this early in the proceedings, so... Lucky.

Spies? Salthis wanted nothing to do with this, but he had already been "deputized" by that idiot Jaaver. He also noticed that he was getting weird looks from (insert name of TheMightyLopen's character here), so he was in this whether he wanted to be or not. "Alright, I don't like this any more than any of you. But. If there are those here who can command lifeless, and wish us harm, we need to deal with it." He then went over to chat with Jeo.

For those wanting an easy reference back to in-character names:

Spoiler

1. A Joe in the Bush as Jeo the Yellow, your friendly neighborhood cardsharp

2. Elenion as Gormund Oscarson, a very willful individual

3. Randuir as commander Jaaver, a police officer who looks like Javert

4. Livinglegend as Lucky, who is unluckily stuck in this division

5. Shqueeves as Shu, a capable chef despite being an airsick lowlander

6. Bort as Bort the Brute, whose affinity for spikes is purely coincidental

7. BrightnessRadiant as Ivy, a shade of darkish green

8. Straw as Straw, the renouned breaker of camel backs

9. TheMightyLopen as Vaati, who totally isn't an evil Minish sorceror or anything like that

10. MacThorstenson as Mac, purveyor of spiked cookies, but not the same kind of spiked that the Dark Alley does

11. Devotary of Spontaneity as Fahmexa, a drab with a story that is anything but

12. Ecthelion as Eärendil, who has wandered their way into enlistment

13. Coop772 as Salthis, an understandably frustrated survival expert whose name contains the word "salt"

14. MonsterMetroid as Roid, who may have been barred from the Tarachin championships following a urine test

15. Droughtbringer as Droughtbringer, the antithesis to Rob McKenna Zaffer, snatcher of scarves from passerby

16. RippleGylf as Sarcoline Lepinceau, a flesh-colored paint brush

17. Arinian as Eilen, a recent arrival to the division

Anyway, we haven't got particularly much to discuss as of yet, so let's see if I can't stir up some discussion. I've already talked about a possible ploy the elims could try, and I was wondering if anyone else has seen any clever ploys they'd consider using. If you do think of some, make sure to include a couple of suggestions for  counter-measures, as this is meant to defuse possible strategies, not give the elims ideas.

4 hours ago, randuir said:

Well, there's a couple of rules in this game I'd like to comment on. First of all, everyone needs to vote, or they'll die, which also removes the possibility of a no-lynch first cycle, unless we spread the votes out in such a manner that everyone only has one vote. That seems somewhat easy to game for me, so I suggest not doing that.

Well that's annoying. Now I actually know one of the rules. To start this game off I'd like to request that if you are going to be talking about any of the mechanics or rules of the game, if you could preface it with something that stands out, probably in bold, that tells me that there are rules, cause I really don't want to know the rules of the game :P

Besides that, I'd suggest that we make sure that we have a lynch this cycle, as not having a lynch tends to be bad for the village day one. (According to tons of game stats(that I've never actually seen, so...)

Ploys: I could see the elims holding vote manipulation, if they have it, until near the end, allowing them to pull unexpected Vote Manip out near the end of the game, when we don't expect it. For us to counter this, we need everyone to stay active throughout the game. The village also can hold their vote manip, but there is a chance of them being killed by the elims and never getting a chance of using it.

I could also see the elims doing the opposite, and using their vote manip to make us think that the Village is using Vote Manip, and then turn on us. Again, the only viable option for this is to work is making sure that everyone stays active, to do our best to cancel out their manip.

As a general rule, I think that we should always assume that the village has two less votes than what we think the village has, just to be safe.

(Is there vote manipulation in this game? I'm really not certain... Don't actually tell me though, please. I'll just work under the assumption that every type of role I can think of is in the game)

I'll spend some time thinking of other possible ploys.

So, it seems like there will be 3 or 4 elims, 3 being the /5 rule, and 4 being the Square Root rule. This means a few things:

Assuming higher elims, that puts the village at 13, and the Elims at 4. A perfect elim game, with a lynch and a kill every cycle puts us ending at the end of cycle (assuming the elims have to only tie, not outnumber) cycle 5. (Actually would be the same for both tie and outnumber), but that is assuming without any Vig kills. If there is a Vig than being sparing with your kill, as missing with it each day ends the game at the end of cycle 3, and I don't quite want to lose that fast.

If there is a Vig, than it will almost definitely have to be on the side of the village, as ending at cycle 3 is slightly ridiculous, even for a QF. If you are a Vig, then please try to PM around, and get reads in the thread on people. Don't just assume that because you're in a PM with someone that they won't lie to you, and that you can trust them.

I could see the elims having a PM spy, though. So, if you are going to claim to someone try to set up a code one cycle, and then claim using the code the next. This means that a potential elim spying on you will either have to spy on you two nights in a row, or will only get your coded claim, being useless to them.

Roleblockers, I could see there being a lot of them, but I don't think that there would be that crazy of a distribution for a new GM, like Drake is, so there probably are only 1 or two. I see the elims possibly having one, and the village having one or two. As Randuir said earlier, just be careful with the info you get from it, and try to keep it in good hands.

Scanner: Rand didn't mention this in his post, but there still might be one so... Scan people! But, as a village, we can not be dependant on scans. We all have a much cooler version of it that lets us scan everyone in a single cycle, and it is called Analysis! (Crazy, right? :P). Just make sure that you are doing at least some analysis each cycle. (Back to actual Scanner stuff) if you scan someone as an elim, then let one or two people know via PM. Please start doing a lot of analysis now, and discovering who you can (probably) trust.

Thug: Do tons of analysis, and tons of reads to try and make the elims scared of you, if they are scared of you, and they don't know you're a thug, then they are likely to waste a kill on you, which would be nice. (Also, be wary of a WGG)

Other roles I forgot about, or decided not to type up because we probably don't have them (Like I doubt we have open ended roles): Do analysis, and try to stay active. Not being active can get you killed fast.

Because we need to vote and the time is not working for me, I'll be placing a starting vote on Arinian as he has not showed up yet, and also was the last to sign up. @Arinian if you come online, and don't make a super suspicious vote, then I'll take my vote off of you. (Make sure to ping me though, so I can be sure to see the vote)

Also, if you're lurking, please come say something! If you don't have time for much then say "I didn't like some of "X's" posts, so I'll be voting on them" as it will at least keep you in the game, and that is more useful for us than having you die Cycle 2 to the filter.

No worries, Drake! GMing is a daunting task, especially for your first time.

As far as votes go... I'm gonna poke MacThorstenson, just for the time being. Did Joe bring up craps odds before the cycle started? Since Joe hasn't posted anything since the beginning of the cycle?

--------------------------------------------

Sarcoline Lepinceau glanced around. Of course there would be spies. Why wouldn't there be spies? Nothing to do now but watch carefully, and wait for someone to slip up. Her hands idly combed through the mess of long brown hair on top of her head. She had recently heard one of the officers refer to her as 'that flesh-colored paintbrush over there,' which was a bit peeving, to say the least. It didn't help that she brought all of her watercolor materials with her. Sighing, she sat down and began to paint. She knew her chances of survival were slim, but hopefully she'd be able to finish her piece before being killed off by infiltrators, or worse, by her fellow soldiers.

EDIT: To be entirely honest, I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that description in the player list. Good job Drake, for figuring out how I name my SE characters. Well done. XD

EDIT: Spelled MacThorstenson wrong... XP

Edited by RippleGylf