Shards and Adonalsium

Matt_S

Question

Let me preface this by stating that my knowledge of the Cosmere is limited only as far as all of the Mistborn novels (excluding Bands of Mourning, which I’m reading at the moment), Elantris, and Way of Kings. So, through some digging in the Coppermind, I’ve discovered the Shards, their names (Preservation, Ruin, Autonomy, etc.) and Adonalsium. Although I’m aware that my knowledge as of now is limited, I was wondering if there was a non-spoiler explanation of what the shard names actually mean and what they represent. I understand Preservation and Ruin, seeing that they are simple concepts. And I understand that’s Adonalsium, what or whoever that is, was broken into 16 of these shards; but what is the deal with the other shards we are aware of? If Ruin represents destruction and such and reigned over Scadrial with Preservation, what the hell are Autonomy, Cultivation, and the others doing exactly? where do they exist? are they aware of one anothers’ Existences? how are they represented on their worlds like Ruin and Preservation (and Harmony) are on Scadrial? Also, why exactly those names and concepts? I’m aware that many are still unknown, but a little clarification in a non-spoiler context would be nice, if possible. The concept is very intriguing, but very confusing at the same time. Also, feel free to leave any references to these in the books so I can look out or them while I read in the future. Thanks!

5 answers to this question

what the hell are Autonomy, Cultivation, and the others doing exactly? where do they exist? are they aware of one anothers’ Existences? how are they represented on their worlds like Ruin and Preservation (and Harmony) are on Scadrial?

Basically RAFO. Most of those questions are answered. I am not going to say which shards are on which planets because that is a spoiler. 

We can reveal a few things without getting too spoilery. (no plot details, just some general knowledge that fans have discerned over the years)

Spoiler

For one, the Shards are indeed aware of each other. They all knew each other before they Ascended. They were once 16 mortal people, who became gods when they picked up the Shards.

The Shard intents (their names) are generally thought to be elements of Adonalsium's personality, or priorities that guided him. Each Shard really is committed to its intent, but they can interpret the intent in different ways. (Honor, for instance, means different things to different people.) Most Shards work behind the scenes, rarely interacting with human characters, and they know a lot more about the cosmere than we do, so their actual agendas are hard for us to see. 

But they reveal themselves in subtle ways. Keep reading, and you'll find some answers. And welcome to the Shard! This is the international hub of shard-related analysis and speculation.

Edited by Belzedar