[OB] Why did Szeth ever have an Honorblade?

Solarserpent

So first Szeth believes that the radiants are coming back. This somehow leads to him being exiled, deemed "Truthless" which, according to societal convention, binds him as a slave to the wielder of a rock. But then why would he be given the Honorblade for the Windrunners if he was being punished or removed from society. Either something is missing/wrong with Szeth's recollection or the Shin are extremely odd.

Truthless are not normally given Honorblades. 

Questioner

Are all Truthless given Honorblades when they're cast out, or is Szeth a special case?

Brandon Sanderson

Szeth is a special case.

source

I believe that the guardians of the Honorblades are chosen for a lifetime of service, and Szeth was one of those guardians. As such he couldn't be stripped of the blade. 

For my full opinion (and it's all opinion) on Szeth and this whole mess, here's my crazy speculation thread. 

Anyone else suspect that the spren that the stone shamans are taking orders from is actually a disguised Unmade, rather than some benevolent spren of H/C? It would just fit so well with the way these books have been going.

The god the heroes fight for is dead, Alethkar is fallen, the most powerful ally of the Coalition is a traitor, the Heralds are either broken or fighting for the enemy, oh and the protectors of the holy Honorblades are unknowingly working for the enemy too. Just another day on Roshar. As they say, "Another day another Desolation"

2 minutes ago, Storms! said:

Anyone else suspect that the spren that the stone shamans are taking orders from is actually a disguised Unmade, rather than some benevolent spren of H/C? It would just fit so well with the way these books have been going.

The god the heroes fight for is dead, Alethkar is fallen, the most powerful ally of the Coalition is a traitor, the Heralds are either broken or fighting for the enemy, oh and the protectors of the holy Honorblades are unknowingly working for the enemy too. Just another day on Roshar. As they say, "Another day another Desolation"

While I could see that happening, it would be hard to pull off. Keep in mind the Shin have (had) 9 Honorblades, and they had people training with them. They probably took ocassional trips to Shadesmar, and the Unmade deception would fall appart the moment the Shin Elsecaller Honorblade holder saw its real form. And Szeth seemed to say they worshipped spren in general, but no particular one. Although he wasn't too specific.

1 minute ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

While I could see that happening, it would be hard to pull off. Keep in mind the Shin have (had) 9 Honorblades, and they had people training with them. They probably took ocassional trips to Shadesmar, and the Unmade deception would fall appart the moment the Shin Elsecaller Honorblade holder saw its real form. And Szeth seemed to say they worshipped spren in general, but no particular one. Although he wasn't too specific.

You're probably right, and what I actually believe is that Cultivation set all this up so Szeth could play his part in Her master plan, aka The Diagram (see link in my signature for an expansion on that).

I could see it being an Unmade though, for the sole reason that the plot of Stormlight is basically just Murphy's Law

It makes me wonder, about that little void spren that was leading the parchmen when kaladin travelled with them. Such a spren wouldn't have to try hard too manage that deceit given their nature, native abilities and let's not forget, culminated knowledge from across the desolations. 

Edited by Rustbringer

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Why did Szeth ever have an Honorblade?
  • Chaos locked this topic