Describe Vasher's Past

The Night Watcher

So there's someone called Shashara, who is his...wife?

Yes that is Vasher's wife 

Denth's sister?

Yes that is correct as well. 

And then he kills her because why?

Vasher killed her to keep the secret on how Nightblood was made. He feared she would make the information public as she did with the one breath lifeless command. There was apparently a battle where she used Nighblood and it terrified Vasher. 

Vasher is also a Returned? 

Correct one of the 5 scholars. 

How does he change his shape? None of the other Returned can do that.

They actually can but it takes knowledge and practice. The Returned in the Court of Gods appear how they perceive them self but with practice and knowledge they could change this just like Vasher. 

You can read the annotations to Warbreaker on Brandon's website which provides a lot more insight. 

https://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-warbreaker-dedication/

Edited by StormingTexan

3 hours ago, The Night Watcher said:

How does he change his shape? None of the other Returned can do that.

Like StormingTexan said, it's the same thing here as it is with God Kings having children. Any of the Returned can do these things, but most of them don't know that they can, and none of them actually know how.

The revelation that Denth was one of the Scholars too but doesn't look Returned is a hint that he's done the same as Vasher. And Lightsong's inability to do this is a hint that deep down, he does see himself as a Returned, despite what he may say.

15 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

The Returned in the Court of Gods appear how they perceive them self

How does this work with when they first Return? Do they start off looking like they did when they died and then over time encompass the new name that is given to them? How did Blushweaver know she had to be beautiful? Also, wouldn't their perception of beauty kind of be shaped by what the general "ideal" of beauty was. I see Morena Baccarin (Hope I spelled that right) when I think of Blushweaver. How would she know to look like Morena if someone else thought Natalie Portman was attractive. Finally, if I was called Footlooser would I end up looking like Kevin Bacon? I don't know if I could handle that.

Edited by theuntaintedchild

1 hour ago, theuntaintedchild said:

How does this work with when they first Return? Do they start off looking like they did when they died and then over time encompass the new name that is given to them?

We have an example of a child who returned, and Lightsong mentions him rapidly maturing/aging to adulthood before the agelessness took hold. So, I'd imagine that they start as they were, and are gradually shaped. Taking it to the child, most of the Returned probably see it as simply natural. You don't go from boy to man in a day, so why would you go from mortal to god in an instant? (I mean, they kinda do, but you get what I'm saying)

1 hour ago, theuntaintedchild said:

How did Blushweaver know she had to be beautiful? Also, wouldn't their perception of beauty kind of be shaped by what the general "ideal" of beauty was.

Blushweaver the Honest. She's the one who petitioned to be renamed Blushweaver the Beautiful. She chose to be beautiful, and it worked. (Might this have been Brandon doing a plain sight hint about the whole perception thing?)
Beauty is shaped by general perception though, so you're right about that.

2 hours ago, theuntaintedchild said:

How does this work with when they first Return? Do they start off looking like they did when they died and then over time encompass the new name that is given to them? How did Blushweaver know she had to be beautiful? Also, wouldn't their perception of beauty kind of be shaped by what the general "ideal" of beauty was. I see Morena Baccarin (Hope I spelled that right) when I think of Blushweaver. How would she know to look like Morena if someone else thought Natalie Portman was attractive. Finally, if I was called Footlooser would I end up looking like Kevin Bacon? I don't know if I could handle that.

I believe once they are returned the Court of Gods tells the Returned their name and attributes (i.e. Blushweaver honesty and interpersonal relations) and I would assume their appearance develops right after that. Just like everything else this is probably somewhat subjective to the individual returned. I do however agree with you Morena Baccarin would be an excellent choice. Man ever since Firefly hubb hubba. 

51 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Blushweaver the Honest. She's the one who petitioned to be renamed Blushweaver the Beautiful

I had forgotten that she started off as Honest. I wonder if her beauty further increased after changing her name. Maybe it was a progression thing. She starts off looking like her mortal self, When told she's a god, her appearance changes to that of Natalie Portman. Then upon changing her name to "The Beautiful", bam Morena Baccarin.

49 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

ever since Firefly hubb hubba

Inara is the exact character I picture.

2 hours ago, theuntaintedchild said:

Inara is the exact character I picture.

Brandon picked these.  

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/202-barnes-and-noble-book-club-qa/#e5843

Jeremy_Carroll

If you could pick any actress to play Blushweaver in a movie based on Warbreaker, who would you pick? Monica Bulluci and Salma Hayek are top picks on your forum!

Brandon Sanderson

Monica Bellucci is a fantastic choice. Either her, or Angelina Jolie.

Edited by StormingTexan

• 3 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic