Odium

SamsonSeaBorn

My theory is kind of still in the works but here’s the jist of it. Odium like all the other shards is an aspect of adonalsium, and as such over time the power they hold  begins to take over their personalities. Odium is seeking the precious shards partly because of the deep seeded feeling of anger betrayal and pain felt from adonalsium when it was ripped apart. Odium while a madman that does seek power over all others (I believe that’s his own traits) is bounds by the will of the power he holds. Adonalsiums anger is seeking vengeance on all those that wronged him seeking to destroy them. If it can’t be whole none can.

It's an interesting idea but from what we know of the timeline, Rayse was planning to kill the other Shards more or less immediately after the Shattering (he went after Ambition right away) and was likely planning it even beforehand. Also, Adonalsium's mind would have been destroyed in the Shattering so whatever influence the Intents have on the Vessels would be passive rather than an active 'punish the other Vessels for killing Me' sort of thing. Brandon has mentioned that if you could reunite all sixteen Shards (and he's left this a RAFO) the result may not necessarily be 'Adonalsium reborn' which suggests there's not enough mind there to be the sort of driving force (separate from the Intent itself) you're envisioning.

If there was a more active influence on the part of Adonalsium's original mind, Sazed would probably have noticed and commented on it in the HoA epigraphs, especially since he'd be getting a double-effect.

This WoB gives his reason for going after Ambition. Long story short for trying to shatter the Shards, he wants to be the most powerful

Spoiler

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/36/#e1550

Argent

Some of the few Shards Rayse Splintered included Ambtion, I believe, Dominion, and Devotion.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

And those were all way back, in the history. So, we know that the Shards' personalities overrides the Vessel's personality over time?

Brandon Sanderson

Strongly influence, and depending on the individual, override.

Argent

Okay. So did Rayse choose those Shards because--

Brandon Sanderson

He went after Ambition first, but didn't find Ambition until after going after Devotion and Dominion. But Ambition was number one on his hit list.

Argent

Was it because of the Shard or because of the Vessel? Like did he hate the person?

Brandon Sanderson

In this case it was the Shard, primarily, that drove him--

Argent

Oh, he was maybe afraid the Shard would grow too powerful and take over--

Brandon Sanderson

He was afraid that this Shard that would rival him. And so he's like "This one is number one on the hit list. We're taking down Ambition." But then he got trapped in the Rosharan system.

Spoiler

Was it because of the Shard or because of the Vessel? Like did he hate the person?

Brandon Sanderson

In this case it was the Shard, primarily, that drove him--

Argent

Oh, he was maybe afraid the Shard would grow too powerful and take over--

Brandon Sanderson

He was afraid that this Shard that would rival him. And so he's like "This one is number one on the hit list. We're taking down Ambition." But then he got trapped in the Rosharan system.

Exactly. As I stated 

On 2/11/2018 at 0:20 PM, SamsonSeaBorn said:

Odium while a madman that does seek power over all others (I believe that’s his own traits)

Rayse is a madman and he’s driven both by his own mind and that of the shards influence. That’s what’s driving him so desperately to get off of Roshar, and in the process shatter cultivation. Two birds one stone thing there. The shard Odium is trying to destroy the other shards and the man Rayse is driven to be the strongest. They feed off each other true but the shard still has it’s over ruling driving force and it might just be poetic justice to think the shards driving force is a deep seeded sense to seek vengeance driven by the whitest hot malicious odious anger. 

Frost says describes Odium as being (paraphrased) "God's own righteous anger, separated from the context that gave it virtue." Seems like God would be pretty angry at the people who murdered him, so I see what you're getting at here. I like it

Edited by Storms!

• Chaos locked this topic