Is ingenuity a Shard?

I found this WOB on Arcanum.

Questioner
If you were entrusted with a Shard of Adonalsium, which Shard?

Brandon Sanderson
Ummm... Heh heh heh... maybe Ingenuity. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/123/#e3299

so is this an actual shard? Or is this just Brandon making one up for an interview?

Edited by Lord Mistborn Skybreaker

Yeah, here's the Word of Peter/Isaac on the above statement:

David J. Foster

It sounds like [Brandon] identified a new shard, Ingenuity, in an interview in Bulgaria. Can you verify this?

Peter Ahlstrom

That is news to me! Maybe [Isaac] can ask him.

Isaac Stewart

I asked [Brandon]. He said readers can interpret his words how they want.

Footnote: The question is referring to this exchange.
source

Brandon has also given Shard names for things we know don't actually exist (for example, a hypothetical shard for the Alcatraz series would be something like Betrayal) so there's definitely cause to take the statement with a grain of salt.

Edited by Weltall

• 5 months later...

Brandon has said that Fabrials are a type of magic. Maybe, they are like hemalurgy and can access that shards power anywhere in the cosmere. They just modify the power of the resident shard and use that to power the device that is tied to Ingenuity. That would explain the scadrian medallions, the Aviar detectors, Rosharian spren fabrials, and possible Nazh's gun.

On 29-7-2018 at 11:12 AM, Fanghur Rahl said:

I believe the technical term for the kind of thing fabrials are is "magitech". ;)

That's similar to saying investiture is magic. Yes, it's true, but the term encompasses a much wider idea throughout speculative fiction, whereas fabrials (and investiture) are specific to the Cosmere and bound to it's rules.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:24 PM, ROSHtaFARian2.0 said:

I've long speculated there'd be a Shard named something like Invention, and since one definition of ingenuity is 'the quality of being cleverly inventive or resourceful; inventiveness', I definitely wouldn't hate it this ended up being canon. ;)

I think there has to be something like Invention or Ingenuity. The Shards are the powers of Creation. There needs to be an impulse or desire to create invent or experience new things if this was the being that created all this life in the Cosmere originally. We've got lots of shards that cover the middle and end of life things grow, stay the same, decline and end. (Cultivation, Preservation, Ruin). We are missing the beginning of the lifecycle, the part that desires novelty. 

Well, 'ingenuity' and 'invention' are only tangentially related at best. It might be said that the latter involves the application of the former, but it certainly isn't in any way synonymous. That said, I agree with your basic point, and I think that there are probably Shards related to each. Though like I said, I think 'Aptitude' would be a better, more encompassing name for a Shard than 'Ingenuity'. 

10 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I think there has to be something like Invention or Ingenuity. The Shards are the powers of Creation. There needs to be an impulse or desire to create invent or experience new things if this was the being that created all this life in the Cosmere originally. 

This may not be necessary as it could be an inherent aspect of all the Shards.

KingSloth

Do all the shards have a 'secondary' imperative of some degree, to create?

Brandon Sanderson

You could say this.

source

7 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Well, 'ingenuity' and 'invention' are only tangentially related at best. It might be said that the latter involves the application of the former, but it certainly isn't in any way synonymous. That said, I agree with your basic point, and I think that there are probably Shards related to each. Though like I said, I think 'Aptitude' would be a better, more encompassing name for a Shard than 'Ingenuity'. 

I think they are essentially synonyms. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ingenuity

Synonyms

cleverness, creativeness, creativity,imagination, imaginativeness,ingeniousness, innovativenessinvention,inventivenessoriginality

ingenuity

[in-juh-noo-i-tee, -nyoo-]
ExamplesWord Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun, plural in·ge·nu·i·ties for 3.
  1. the quality of being cleverly inventive or resourceful; inventiveness:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ingenuity?s=t

• Chaos locked this topic