Blackace

[OB] THE INDESTRUCTABLE BRIDGE 4

18 posts in this topic

In Oathbringer, Rock laments on how the bridge fared well despite being present during the clash between the highstorm and everstorm.

We also know that Kaladin has been pouring stormlight to the bridge during the runs. So did this make the bridge physically stronger? 

Also another thing is that, just as Kaladin feel that his scar in his forhead is what define him, and thus not heal, the bridge is what defines Bridge 4. 

I feel that the bridge will be what symbolizes bridge four. As long as the memeber of bridge four is alive, the physical bridge will also be "alive" in a sense. It may also come back as something more significant to bridge four.

Or am I just reading too much into it, and it's just Sadeas' engineer are just that good?

What do you guys think?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a fun idea. If Bridge Four ever lose the bridge, I think it will be a major moment. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think any Stormlight he's infused into the bridge is long gone. He can't Soulcast so I don't think this infuses the cognitive perception of the bridge as a bridge and being stronger. 

But this reminds me of L.E. Modessitt and his Saga of Recluse how Order Mages typically carried staffs. They would accidentally/subconsciously infuse the wood so it would be much stronger than normal.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Naurock said:

I think any Stormlight he's infused into the bridge is long gone. He can't Soulcast so I don't think this infuses the cognitive perception of the bridge as a bridge and being stronger. 

True. But if you remember in WoR, when Shallan tried to soulcast the ship after Jasnah was stabbed, the ship initially refused. But after prodding about the crew, the ship relented because it wanted to save those that was riding on him.

We also have Oathbringer, the sword not the book, to not scream as loud because it "remembers" Dalinar's oath. 

So I thought maybe the bridge in the same way thinks itself as part of Bridge Four, a kind of maybe a tiny "nahel bond" between people and the spirit of the object making it stronger. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Blackace said:

True. But if you remember in WoR, when Shallan tried to soulcast the ship after Jasnah was stabbed, the ship initially refused. But after prodding about the crew, the ship relented because it wanted to save those that was riding on him.

We also have Oathbringer, the sword not the book, to not scream as loud because it "remembers" Dalinar's oath. 

So I thought maybe the bridge in the same way thinks itself as part of Bridge Four, a kind of maybe a tiny "nahel bond" between people and the spirit of the object making it stronger. 

The bridges Cognitive perception of itself would be changed, yes, and that may increase it's resistance to something soulcasting it, just like with the ship... But it's still an inanimate object. That Cognitive aspect is a construct built from the perception of sapient minds. It shouldn't be any more physically durable because of it. 

Edited by Calderis
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The bridges Cognitive perception of itself would be changed, yes, and that may increase it's resistance to something soulcasting it, just like with the ship... But it's still an inanimate object. That Cognitive aspect is a construct built from the perception of sapient minds. It shouldn't be any more physically durable because of it. 

Yeah, but Kaladin has been infusing it with investiture for months on in, we also know that with constant exposure to investiture things begin to collect investiture inside them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Yeah, but Kaladin has been infusing it with investiture for months on in, we also know that with constant exposure to investiture things begin to collect investiture inside them.

It's not impossible that there's something we don't yet know that makes this work this way, but right now we have no reason to believe that repeatedly being the subject of Lashings and/or continuous physical proximity to people holding Stormlight would affect an object in this way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget the bridge was used as a shield, that may have affected it's cognitive aspect. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prolong exposure to investiture causes thing to change, like life thriving and an immune system boost, so why when using the surge of adhesion on the bridge, that it doesn't changed. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Prolong exposure to investiture causes thing to change, like life thriving and an immune system boost, so why when using the surge of adhesion on the bridge, that it doesn't changed. 

You're conflating the large scale undirected investiture radiation of a highstorm with the smaller directed investiture of a Lashing.

Again, it's not impossible that this is a thing. It's just, as far as I can see, not supported by any evidence so far ("wouldn't it be cool" is not evidence).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it has been infused long enough that Bridge Four's spren is now the 4th Bondsmith spren.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bort said:

Perhaps it has been infused long enough that Bridge Four's spren is now the 4th Bondsmith spren.

I take it all back. This is definitely in my headcanon now. After all, what does a bridge do but bond two places?

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of want Dalinar to keep infusing the bridge with stormlight, until it becomes bondsmith level or just a sapient spren, but stronger than a radiantspren, sort of like what Honor did to the Stormfather.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyRioter said:

and then it can become a Shardbridge.

Well yeah i guess whichever Bridge 4 members bond to it can summon it as a shardbridge.

What would the oaths to said Nahel Bond be?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Well yeah i guess whichever Bridge 4 members bond to it can summon it as a shardbridge.

What would the oaths to said Nahel Bond be?

2 through 4 are just "Bridge 4!" at increasing volume levels.

The fifth is a very rude and impractical suggestion for Moash.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New theory: The Stick was actually a piece of Bridge Four that broke off during a bridge run and was blown to the Southern Frostlands during a Highstorm. The constant infusions of investiture it received from Kaladin's lashings had strengthened its cognitive Identity so much that Shallan couldn't soulcast it to fire.

When Dalinar uses his Bondsmith powers to reconnect The Stick to Bridge Four, it will ascend, becoming the new Vessel of Honor and defeating Odium and the Voidbringers with it's unwavering resolve.

Edited by Brightlord Brooding-Eyes
Grammar
7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know about you, but this topic has literally evolved into the greatest thing I have ever seen.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.