[Cosmere] [OB] The Shattering

Kaleid

I put OB in the title because a specific scene in OB is what ticked off this post.

The Shattering. This is the common name for when Adonalsium was shattered. All we really know about it is that there were a bunch of people who did it, they took the shards of Adonalsium  for their own power, and Hoid was there.

In Oathbringer, Odium was frightened when Dalinar combined the three realms.

"We killed you!"

This has been theorised to mean honour, but I don't think Odium would be as frightened as he seems in that scene if it was.

It has also been theorised to be Adonalsium which also doesn't seem quite right.

However, it occurs to me that a bondsmith combines things that were shattered, and remember being one. Perhaps the three realms were not three realms at all, but were part of the "Shattering" that split Adonalsium. Perhaps prior to this, there was only one realm?

1 hour ago, Kaleid said:

However, it occurs to me that a bondsmith combines things that were shattered, and remember being one. Perhaps the three realms were not three realms at all, but were part of the "Shattering" that split Adonalsium. Perhaps prior to this, there was only one realm?

I don't think so, in the Dragonsteel sample chapters, which I'm 99% sure take place before the shattering, it's seen that the character we follow is implied probably flipping between vision in the cognitive realm and physical (though a lot of words are [REDACTED]), and at the end it has people training to punch peoples spiritual aspects or something crazy like that. Although it isn't specifically canon, I don't think something as fundamental to the cosmere story as the 3 realms would've changed between all those books.

1 hour ago, Kaleid said:

In Oathbringer, Odium was frightened when Dalinar combined the three realms.

"We killed you!"

This has been theorised to mean honour, but I don't think Odium would be as frightened as he seems in that scene if it was.

It has also been theorised to be Adonalsium which also doesn't seem quite right.

I'm not particularly sure about this. We know that Odium has worked with other shards, and Hoid dislikes both Autonomy and Odium. I'm thinking maybe Autonomy helped kill Honour with Odium. We know that Cultivation acted in some way in Honours defense/an attack on Odium, so Autonomy might've helped with that.

1 hour ago, JoelyWoely said:

I'm not particularly sure about this. We know that Odium has worked with other shards, and Hoid dislikes both Autonomy and Odium. I'm thinking maybe Autonomy helped kill Honour with Odium. We know that Cultivation acted in some way in Honours defense/an attack on Odium, so Autonomy might've helped with that.

I’m not so sure about that..

Hoid had a grudge with Bavadin and Rayse before the shattering and still doesn’t like them now. Just because Hoid dislikes someone doesn’t mean they are working together. And also, Odium wants to destroy all shards; he probably wouldn’t work with another one.

13 hours ago, TheHeadHancho said:

I’m not so sure about that..

Hoid had a grudge with Bavadin and Rayse before the shattering and still doesn’t like them now. Just because Hoid dislikes someone doesn’t mean they are working together. And also, Odium wants to destroy all shards; he probably wouldn’t work with another one.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/73-shadows-of-self-san-francisco-signing/#e4298 this wob says that Odium does and has worked with other shards.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/136-general-signed-books-2014/#e2101 and this wob says that Rayse and Hoid used to be friends. Though they could've had a falling out before the shattering however.

I'm not saying that Hoid hating both Bavadin and Rayse is a good basis for them working together, but it's a theory none the less.

Edited by JoelyWoely

15 hours ago, JoelyWoely said:

I don't think so, in the Dragonsteel sample chapters, which I'm 99% sure take place before the shattering, it's seen that the character we follow is implied probably flipping between vision in the cognitive realm and physical

More than that, a sample chapter has Jerick refer to Realmatic Theory, which means that not only are they aware that there are three realms but that they've studied (to some extent at least) how they're interrelated. And yes, Dragonsteel has been repeatedly confirmed to take place before the Shattering. Here's one example and in the most recent round of signings Brandon mentioned that he still considers almost all of the worldbuilding in it to still be canonical.

13 hours ago, TheHeadHancho said:

Brandon has stated that Odium would be willing to work with another Shard if he were in charge and implied that this may have happened already. The latter is a big reason why people have speculated that Rayse and Bavadin worked together to kill Aona and Skai, along with the observation that their respective Shards have largely opposite Intents.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic