[OB][MB]Fortune/Chromium Feruchemy

Spoilers for Stormlight book three: OATHBRINGER.

Spoiler

Ok, so as of Oathbringer we now know that fortune is not simply luck, but that the use of Fortune allows the user to peer into the Spirtual Realm to see the future.

With this in mind a Feruchemist suddenly lurches into a position of power beyond that of even a Mistborn.

I mean, just think: storing the ability to glimpse the future. 

That is pure AWESOME.

Edited by Lord Mistborn Skybreaker

I have a slightly different opinion. 

Feruchemy only allows you to store traits you already have. We have a natural ability to understand probable outcomes of our actions. We gage probability constantly, though it's not often conscious. 

I think a Chromium Ferring would store the ability to gauge the probable outcomes of situations, and become much much better at reading probability. So it would still result in a form of future sight, but it is not "I see visions of the future." 

12 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Feruchemy only allows you to store traits you already have. We have a natural ability to understand probable outcomes of our actions. We gage probability constantly, though it's not often conscious. 

I think a Chromium Ferring would store the ability to gauge the probable outcomes of situations, and become much much better at reading probability. So it would still result in a form of future sight, but it is not "I see visions of the future." 

I disagree. In my opinion a feruchemist stores access to the spiritual realm, allowing him to see 

Spoiler

Renarin like visions

Or Something like atium shadows.

And my issue there, is that people don't normally have that, so what is lost while storing? 

People storing "probability sense" wouldn't understand the outcomes of events or the consequences of their actions. It would be a very dangerous trait to store while doing anything. 

What is diminished while storing "Future sight" and what are the repercussions? 

18 hours ago, Calderis said:

Or, If you were a Twinborn Seer. That might work

Based on the things we have seen Hoid doing I believe the Fortune that Feru-Chromium deals with is 'Right place right time/Wrong place wrong time'

Hoid always seems to know where to go in those critical moments even if he doesn't know why he is going there at the time. (The gates of Kohlinar to meet Taln/Middle of nowhere to meet Jasnah/Spending a lot of time around Elhokar so that his spren would be familiar with Hoid at a critical moment in the future?[Thank you Shardcast crew for that observation!])

When filling my assumption as of now is that you are likely to get hit by a run away horse and cart, or the deviled egg you pick off the platter of appetizers happens to be the one the waiter sneezed on directly and therefore makes you sick.  While tapping you would be able to 'feel' where the right place to go is or choice to make in the moment that has beneficial results to you, or your random choices would be far more likely to turn out great.  I think this is why F-Chromium ferrings are called "Spinners".  They can tap their stored Fortune spin in a circle and wherever they land will most likely be the best direction/choice for them to go with.

And in the allomacy charts we have the Gold and Electrum users who are tapping into the spiritual realm to see the possible images of future/past selves, I don't think that power would be duplicated over in the Feru chart.  (Though I guess we do have A-Pewter and F-Pewter that are somewhat similar so I could be wrong there)

1 hour ago, Dwig Jigdens said:

Or, If you were a Twinborn Seer. That might work

Compounding would only allow you to access the feruchemical trait. 

Allomantic atium would function as normal, and compounding would enhance whatever chromiums version of fortune does. 

1 hour ago, Iridium Savant said:

Based on the things we have seen Hoid doing I believe the Fortune that Feru-Chromium deals with is 'Right place right time/Wrong place wrong time'

We don't know that what he has works exactly he same, just that it uses the same mechanism.

Xyrd (paraphrased)

You've mentioned before that Hoid ends up where he needs to be.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, and usually without knowing why.

Xyrd (paraphrased)

Is chromium involved in that?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes. Well, he's not necessarily using chromium, but the underlying mechanic, yes.

source

Which is part of why I think it has to do with probability. 

Just going to toss out that I did ask Brandon at a signing if F-Chromium worked like ta'veren probability manipulation from Wheel of Time or the entropy curse from Dresden Files and got a RAFO. I didn't record it so I don't have his exact words but he did say something to the effect of 'what I have in mind may be different than what you're thinking'. RAFO's being what they are, it doesn't rule out the possibility but at the very least he seems to want to keep us guessing on what it entails. Personally I suspect it's one of those 'keep them guessing' ones and F-Chromium does involve probability manipulation but that's just my take on it.

It's also safe to say that F-Chromium does something different from at least one other form of Fortune-manipulation, given a scene in Oathbringer where the mechanic is mentioned explicitly and what we see makes no sense in the context of 'things you could reasonably do with feruchemy'.

• Chaos locked this topic