What is Kaladin? (Full spoilers)

Necromancer

That's an interesting theory. I've been wondering what, exactly, "Son of Honor" is referring too, since we hear it in two contexts. (1) The Stormfather calling Kaladin "Son of Honor." (2) Amaram, in his letter to Restares, talking about "our burden as the Sons of Honor." Whether it refers to literal ancestry or some sort of innate power, there's definitely something going on here. (And every time Amaram shows up, I swear he becomes a bigger threat. haha)

I keep expecting everyone to have some secret in their parentage. Shallan's mother, Kaladin's parents/ancestors (back to the Son of Honor thing)... Though if anyone is the child of a Herald or someone equally important, my money's on Adolin and Renarin. Zahel's words from chapter 20 really stuck in my head:

The obvious implication is that Dalinar is powerful, but I don't think he's that powerful. We're probably going to have to wait a long time to find out about Dalinar's wife, but whoever she is, she's important.

Dalinar's wife is dead, at least according to our current in-world knowledge. 

Ok, don't have a book with me but I specifically remember Kaladin being outclassed in the storm fight. He then thinks he should just surrender to his instincts and stop overthinking the fight and he gets significantly better at maneuvering with the gravity surge and he also starts having Syl morph more instead of staying in one shape.

So my theory behind this is that since he is in a symbiotic relationship with Syl, he is tapping into her innate knowledge of flying and the surges as well as her past history with a Radiant.

Im sorry, this may have been addressed elsewhere. But we know that Ka healed the soul in his hand after being sliced by Szeth's blade. The coppermind on regrowth is pretty clear that this is the capability of the regrowth surgebinding, and not simply the normal capacity of stormlight healing. But why does kal have this ability if he is only a Windrunner.

I admit that maybe regrowth is special bc it allows for the possibilty to heal even after death, but i think that kind of makes regular stormhealing a "regrowth light" which to me undermines the value of the surgebinding.

That's an interesting theory. I've been wondering what, exactly, "Son of Honor" is referring too, since we hear it in two contexts. (1) The Stormfather calling Kaladin "Son of Honor." (2) Amaram, in his letter to Restares, talking about "our burden as the Sons of Honor." Whether it refers to literal ancestry or some sort of innate power, there's definitely something going on here. (And every time Amaram shows up, I swear he becomes a bigger threat. haha)

The Stormfather refers to Dalinar as 'child of Honor' as well. It seemed pretty clear that, at least from the Stormfather's perspective, he's referring to humanity as the 'children of Honor'.

The obvious implication is that Dalinar is powerful, but I don't think he's that powerful. We're probably going to have to wait a long time to find out about Dalinar's wife, but whoever she is, she's important.

Well, it's worth noting that Kaladin refers to Renarin in similar terms:

“You shouldn’t call me sir,” Kaladin whispered. “You’re lighteyed. Storms, you’re the son of the most powerful man in eastern Roshar."

It's possible Kaladin's wording is influenced by Zahel's (though this happens well after Zahel's comment) but I don't think it's odd for Zahel to refer to Dalinar in that fashion. It's noted by Shallan:

Vathah raised an eyebrow at her. The king of Alethkar was arguably the most powerful man in the world. “You aren’t going to kill him, are you?” Vathah asked softly, leaning down.

So if you're familiar enough with what's going on in the camps to believe Dalinar is effectively king, it's not really that far fetched to refer to Dalinar as the most powerful human on - (the continent? the world?).

I do agree however that Dalinar's wife will be important for some reason; conservation of detail pretty much demands it. It's worth noting that the only significant description of Dalinar's wife so far comes from Navani. At the very least, Adolin inherited his Shardplate from her family.

Im sorry, this may have been addressed elsewhere. But we know that Ka healed the soul in his hand after being sliced by Szeth's blade. The coppermind on regrowth is pretty clear that this is the capability of the regrowth surgebinding, and not simply the normal capacity of stormlight healing. But why does kal have this ability if he is only a Windrunner.

I admit that maybe regrowth is special bc it allows for the possibilty to heal even after death, but i think that kind of makes regular stormhealing a "regrowth light" which to me undermines the value of the surgebinding.

Regular Stormlight healing is capable of it. The Coppermind is likely out of date, because we were going off of Szeth's incorrect information on Surgebinding. He couldn't heal the wound because Honorblades are slightly different than having a spren. Kaladin does not have Growth.

• Chaos locked this topic