Anyone else love "Sixth of the DUSK"

Kaladin12

6 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

What is it?

Spoiler

Remember how Mraize has a chicken or bird on his shoulder? There is a words of brandon where he confirms the bird is from the sixth of dusk setting. The ghostbloods apparently have the resources to obtain things like that.

8 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

What is it?

OB spoilers:

Spoiler

There's also an oblique reference to the Drominad system's "waters" in the Fourth Letter (the writer of that letter is very clearly a Shard, and one that's set up an avatar somewhere both in the Drominad system and on the heretofore unmentioned planet of Obrodai to boot).  

I also really enjoyed Sixth of the Dusk and would obviously love to read a full book or series that explores the world further. I started reading all things Cosmere within the last year or so and it always excited me to start a new book/series and find out what unique setting and magic system Brandon had cooked up. And while learning a bit about Patji, the Aviar, and whatever other creatures exist in the Drominad system was great, there was another aspect of the story that excited me a bit more; the time in which the story occurs. If I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I last went through AU), Sixth of the Dusk is the furthest in the Cosmere timeline currently. That is just a reminder of the content still waiting to be written and pieced together for us to enjoy and how much further the civilizations within the Cosmere will develop. Also, the small glimpse we get into the future gives a bit of focus to any ideas about the upcoming events in the Cosmere.

What's particularly interesting to me are the Ones Above. Here we have a space-faring group that knows about and how to pinpoint investiture that appears to be interested in attaining the Aviar in some form. This is an important goal of theirs, but it is obviously not a power-grabbing or incredibly time critical move. We know this because they don't simply wipe out the native inhabitants or descend and steal away the Aviar but they are not above speeding along the development of the civilization to eventually "trade" for access to or the Aviar themselves. It seems to me that it may be a group from Silverlight that is mostly interested in researching and understanding the form the investiture takes. But how does this really help them, what's their endgame?

Anyway, I can't wait for the storylines to further develop and shed some light onto the happenings during Sixth of the Dusk and to find out how it will be tied in.

6 hours ago, Ammanas said:
  Hide contents

Remember how Mraize has a chicken or bird on his shoulder? There is a words of brandon where he confirms the bird is from the sixth of dusk setting. The ghostbloods apparently have the resources to obtain things like that.

4 hours ago, Landis963 said:

OB spoilers:

Hide contents

There's also an oblique reference to the Drominad system's "waters" in the Fourth Letter (the writer of that letter is very clearly a Shard, and one that's set up an avatar somewhere both in the Drominad system and on the heretofore unmentioned planet of Obrodai to boot).  

O wow, I'm going to have to do a reread to figure out what else I missed.

I really liked Sixth of the Dusk as well it is my favorite short story by Brandon behind TES. The world was interesting as well as the future Cosmere implications of the "Ones Above". All in all really solid. Honestly all of Brandon's Cosmere shorts have been good. I hope he continues to write them. 

On 1/29/2018 at 8:23 AM, Ammanas said:
  Hide contents

I knew it!

I certainly loved Sixth of Dusk if so much for the uniqueness of the setting, to the really clever way the creatures of Patji used their minds to hunt others. The contrast between a changing culture was great I think (brought echoes of the fur trade to this Canuck, only far more deadly!) and Sixth destroying Vathi's romantic views of his culture made me laugh out loud the first time I read it. Their interactions and the ever present tension in the story from start to finish, whether the creatures of the island or the machinations of the Ones Above simply filled me with curiosity.

Needless to say, I loved it! Probably my second favorite story in the anthology after The Emperor's Soul really.

Sixth of the Dusk is my absolute favorite short story. I've not read a lot of short stories but of all that I have read SotD stands out as just superbly written. The twist at the end was so well foreshadowed, I never saw it coming. The setting was interesting. The magic system was unique. It was tense. it's just fantastic.

What @EC11 said. And I loved the "voice" that Sixth spoke/thought in - so unusual & expertly maintained throughout the story. Part of me wants the outsiders to go away and never bother Patji or the planet again, but part of me wants to hear many more stories about the unique creatures and cultures of this world - - and also how it (supposedly) has no Shard but does have Investiture. (I'm ignoring fan theories - I want the real story from Brandon.)

One of my favorite Sanderson works.

I thought it would be cool if Sanderson was bored on a long flight, he could write the same exact book, but from Vathi's perspective. The interactions between Vathi and Sixth are so alien to each other, I always wondered what was going on in Vathi's head.

• 3 months later...

I absolutely loved Sixth of the Dust! I can't wait to find out more! Vathi and Sixth's interactions were really funny at times and I loved the personalities of his Aviars as well! The Ones Above too!? I have a theory that they are Scadrian Space Pirates or maybe part of a federation of some sorts. I hope Brandon gets around to doing a longer novel on this planet. But I love his short stories just as much as his longer novels/tomes. :D

I probably would've made this topic myself ages ago if I'd thought of it.

Sixth of the Dusk is definitely my favorite Cosmere short story ever. Emperor's soil gets pretty close, but I still think SotD is waaaay better (it always bothers me that @Chaos hates SotD (you can ignore that tag if you want)). Something about the bond between Aviar and human is so cool to me. And the world is just so interesting, and the story had me hooked the entire time. I'm rambling a bit right now, but needless to say, SotD is my favorite short story. 

While I loved The Emperor's Soul even more, I also do love Sixth of the Dusk. The setting is really cool and unique (in terms of other Cosmere-works). Also, we basically have only Sixth as a character and until Vathi comes in there is little to no interaction, apart from the Dusk's musings about the island(s). To me this calmness contrasts well with the staccato of deadly traps.

Also, the ending, with the mirroring of the lesson Dusk teaches Vathi and her realization of the bait from the Ones Above they have fallen prey to is beautifully woven into the story.

Many people criticising the story just goes to show that tastes are different. I for one have a hard time liking Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, which many people in the fandom seem to be very fond of.

Interesting. I really loved Shadows of Silence. It came off as almost a horror story to me. It just was filled with so much tension throughout. I have heard that some people weren't a fan of either story, but I thought they were great "teaser" stories for their respective system in the Cosmere.

15 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Interesting. I really loved Shadows of Silence. It came off as almost a horror story to me. It just was filled with so much tension throughout. I have heard that some people weren't a fan of either story, but I thought they were great "teaser" stories for their respective system in the Cosmere.

That might just be the main reason I didn't really like it: I just don't care much for horror as a genre. The setting seems quite cool, though, I'm looking forward to learning more about the world and what happened there.

That's cool. I wouldn't say horror is my favorite genre, but if a story is well done it can be great. This is mostly because I'm a scardy cat. I wouldn't want to live on Threnody, but I hope we either get a story on Nazh or just a longer story in general.

6 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

That's cool. I wouldn't say horror is my favorite genre, but if a story is well done it can be great. This is mostly because I'm a scardy cat. I wouldn't want to live on Threnody, but I hope we either get a story on Nazh or just a longer story in general.

Same here concerning being a scardy cat :)

I do love the frontier-setting and the colonial New England-style names. Creates lots of atmosphere.

For Sixth I just love Sixth himself. Hadn't really thought about it before, but there are some Aragorn-vibes  going on for me. Ranger-Aragorn, not King-Aragorn, of course. Man, just imagine Viggo Mortensen as Sixth. That would be a hell of a movie!

Oh man!! Viggo as Sixth would be awesome!! Yeah, something about Sixth just really resonates with me. I absolutely loved him and I hope we get to see more of him! The way he interacts with his Aviar and with Patji is simultaneously sweet and interesting. I would love a movie of that!! I wonder who would make a sweet Vathi?