Who else writes books?

Showman

I write books! Always happy to find other writers :)

I had a bit of a look at your book. It seems to be coming along consistently and you seem passionate about it, which is really good. I would be happy to give specific feedback once you've finished a complete first or second draft.

If you haven't already, check out Brandon Sanderson's writing lectures on youtube and maybe listen to a few episodes of writing excuses. Even if you only listen with half an ear while doing other stuff, lots of useful knowledge will seep into your brain that will make you're writing tighter and more impactful. It helped my writing so much that I can't recommend it enough.

Keep up the good work!

I have 3 on Kindle, but they are one viewpoint//single flow naratives ... very beginner-esque. 

I publish under Alabaster Danse, as a nom de plume --- permits me to avoid putting my SSN into the Kindle database.

My first serious foray into writing was like an invitation to empty my mind onto the page, but there were other surprises, too.

I do not have Photoshop to do my covers, which is problamatic, and some hottentot red dress hit my muse up in 2016, and it has not come back --- like a missing spren, I worry over it, and await the return of the creative drive. . . . Some people wield too much personal power!  She actually stalked me for months!  ... consumate lier, too.  It was certainly a hard lesson for me.  She seemed so nice, but in truth I think she was a Face Dancer from Tleilaxu. (Herbert's DUNE)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_Dancer

Is there a forum where various books get compared for ideology?  The Blender forum, perhaps?  Or another site alltogether?

What kind of class does Brandon teach?

Edited by SallyA
remove plural

Writing on Deviant Art . . . It can be pretty inspirational.

So many short stories, so much fan fiction, it is a good place to visit, and a good place to post.  Of course you must prime the pump, visit other posters and engage in commentary . . . But it is a very nice site for the creative minded.

I've only actually finished one novel, which was my first attempt at anything like that. It was alright but was a boiled down mimicry of a lot of other authors and stories. Ultimately I think I thought to large in scope for my first time writing and have since toned down everything about my writing, I usually write dystopian-esque things. But yeah. I have the start of about 4 or 5 novels but never could get them going for more than a couple thousand words.

I will say I have started a new project that I am feeling pretty good about, it's a very odd mash-up that feels very uniquely mine and I haven't seen anything quite like it in my many years of reading and am very excited to finish this one. I don't think I'll work to get it published though. Just me, if y'all want I can explain further.

Edited by Shallan's Ward
Typo correction

Yes! Fellow writers. 

I'm writing various books, mostly YA - some fairy tale retellings, some dystopia etc.

I've only gotten to three chapters on one of my books so far, which is my most recent. It's a dystopia (the books I tend to read the most) and I have some great characters, so wish me luck!

And good luck on your books too.

• 3 weeks later...

I more often find myself writing bits and pieces more than full novels, but I've produced a couple over the years (none published). I'm currently working on a project that I'm feeling pretty good about, a space opera saga that I started for NaNo and have been updating intermittently since; I estimate I'm a bit under two thirds of the way done. The title is Realm of the Stars Volume I: The Unclaimed Crown, and I describe it as the Arthurian Mythos meets Star Wars meets Dune. I'm serializing it on the boards here, and any feedback is always appreciated it!

I have plans for about a half-dozen other books too, but none written there yet, unfortunately;).

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished four books and have several WIPs rolling around. Right now I'm working on a fantasy novel that keeps getting bigger and bigger. Originally I planned for it to only be 200/300 pages, but we're almost 200 pages in and not even close to finished with the exposition. I'm pretty excited to see where it goes. The cast is getting out of hand, though. I have four narrators, one of which is already in somewhat of a gang with three other members, and now my deaf soldier is going around gathering a fellowship of his own. I'm going to have to cut him off. Characters from old works are sneaking their way in and it's getting rather crowded in these pages...

5 hours ago, ShiroXIX said:

Originally I planned for it to only be 200/300 pages, but we're almost 200 pages in and not even close to finished with the exposition.

I know that feeling. Back in the day when we had reasonable expectations for a "short story," before Sanderson/Tolkien/Martin and the like corrupted us with the glories of detailed worldbuilding.

I've recently raided the Young Adult/Teen Fiction sections of local bookstores for anything that looked interesting, and I'm seeing a lot more complexity and detail in stories from the 2013-2017 era than I remember there being in the years prior when I was growing up. It's a welcome change, but it's also an interesting one to think about.

On 3/10/2018 at 11:40 AM, ShiroXIX said:

I've finished four books and have several WIPs rolling around. Right now I'm working on a fantasy novel that keeps getting bigger and bigger. Originally I planned for it to only be 200/300 pages, but we're almost 200 pages in and not even close to finished with the exposition. I'm pretty excited to see where it goes. The cast is getting out of hand, though. I have four narrators, one of which is already in somewhat of a gang with three other members, and now my deaf soldier is going around gathering a fellowship of his own. I'm going to have to cut him off. Characters from old works are sneaking their way in and it's getting rather crowded in these pages...

Would you and anyone else care to name the books that you have published? I would love to read them and meet other authors!

1 hour ago, Showman said:

Would you and anyone else care to name the books that you have published? I would love to read them and meet other authors!

I don't have anything published yet. They're only manuscripts! I don't think my writing is publishing quality just yet. This new novel MAY be in the future, but I tend to second guess the hell out of myself. Titles though (in order, just for fun) are: Song of Azriel Radis, Scarecrows, How It Should Have Been, (sequel to How it Should Have Been, which has no name), S102, and my current novel which has no name and has been called 2k17 Novel every time I mention it. 

#badatnames

I'm planning to start working on a story this summer, and, hopefully, finish by the time I'm in college. The problem is that I can't seem to hold onto one idea long enough to really build it into book material before another, totally contradictory idea appears and I kinda lose passion for it's predecessor.

I've actually been writing fiction since third grade. (With a horrible story called The Frog that had, like, twenty characters from other books. It's bad. Although I still have a copy. AKA I printed it out. It's eight pages). 

But now I'm working on my own universe/galaxy/thing and Sanderson's writing (and lectures)(yes, I'm a middle schooler who watches writing lectures in her free time)(I've only listened to the first 11. I listened to one or two an evening for a week or so. Then I discovered Writing Excuses. Haven't even finished season 1. I need to get around to that...) have really improved my writing. It actually sounds good now! 

But what I'm writing is working pretty well, although I don't get around to it much. Reading is my soul, so I can't just ignore it!

Edited by Tesh