[OB] Jezrien was introduced in chapter 1 of Way of Kings

Rlain

In the opening chapter to WOK, Szeth is at the feast to assassinate Gavilar and comes across a beggar in the beggar's feast who says the characteristic "Have you seen me?" of Jezrien. 

Also, just for fun, Sanderson included a note about how there were only statues of nine of the ten heralds and that Shalash (Ash) is conspicuously missing.  I love these little tidbits found upon rereading.

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Jezrien was introduced in chapter 1 of Way of Kings
2 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

Kalak and Nale were the ones talking, correct?

Correct. Nale, we know for certain because of his appearance. Kalak, we suspect because he talks about " a creature holding his lord's blade." As Szeth was there with Jezerien's honorblade, that fits. He also talks about getting worse, which could somewhat fit what we know about what is happening to the Heralds.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:46 AM, Rlain said:

Oh wow.  I wonder if they have some sense of when important events are going to happen, or if they were just intrigued by the idea of an alliance between the Parshendi and the Alethi.

The Heralds should probably also know that the Listeners are/were descended from "the Voidbringers." I think the alliance both intrigued and worried them, whether or not the event was actually going to be important.

Speaking of the Heralds at the feast, I've always found it a little weird when Kalak mentions how Ash " [is] getting worse," the voice continued. "We weren't supposed to get worse. Am I getting worse? I think I feel worse."

Now it makes sense that they're messed up, given everything they've been through. But you would think that with their abandoning of the Oathpact  to live in obscurity thousands of years ago (at least more than 4,500), that if they were getting worse it would've been clear long ago. If it was a slow decline, how gradual would it need to be to only be noticeable now? If it was more recent, what changed?

Makes me think that perhaps recent events, Taln cracking and breaking, Odium manifesting his big plan, etc could be having an effect on them.

@Strifelover It could also be they didn't notice. Ash mentioned not always being aware of the time, that likely applies to all of them. They just kinda ride the current for a couple thousand years and only just now notice something is wrong. 

That said, it seems much more likely that this is a recent (hundreds of years) development, just based on Kalak's comment, either time itself just grinding them down, or Taln's weakening. Another option would be that the decline started at Honor's death. 1500-2000 years is still a lot, but it would be easier for a slow decline in this instance.

22 hours ago, Strifelover said:

Speaking of the Heralds at the feast, I've always found it a little weird when Kalak mentions how Ash " [is] getting worse," the voice continued. "We weren't supposed to get worse. Am I getting worse? I think I feel worse."

Now it makes sense that they're messed up, given everything they've been through. But you would think that with their abandoning of the Oathpact  to live in obscurity thousands of years ago (at least more than 4,500), that if they were getting worse it would've been clear long ago. If it was a slow decline, how gradual would it need to be to only be noticeable now? If it was more recent, what changed?

Makes me think that perhaps recent events, Taln cracking and breaking, Odium manifesting his big plan, etc could be having an effect on them.

An insane individual rarely if ever realizes that they are insane. So I personally could see a person slowly slowly sliding into madness and never even realizing it. Over time the madness would become normal to them.

• Chaos locked this topic