Galladon

Kered

Question

This is going to be a quick question about Galladon's appearance in WoK. I'll start with this piece from his Coppermind page:  

This is very similar to how he is described before the Shaod. Since The Way of Kingstakes place after Elantris, it is reasonable to conclude that this is an illusion, either identical or similar to his pre-Elantrian state

My question is about the illusion part. We have a couple WoB's that state that in Elantris, distance plays a vital role in the magic. What I take out of that is that if an Elantrian were to travel to far form Elantris, they would lose their abilities. 

So, with Galladon not appearing as as telltale Elantrian in WoK, doesn't that mean that there is no illusion and the effect is caused by him being on Roshar, and that Elanrians will cease being Elantrians if they were travel to another planet? 

4 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Kered said:

This is going to be a quick question about Galladon's appearance in WoK. I'll start with this piece from his Coppermind page:  

My question is about the illusion part. We have a couple WoB's that state that in Elantris, distance plays a vital role in the magic. What I take out of that is that if an Elantrian were to travel to far form Elantris, they would lose their abilities. 

So, with Galladon not appearing as as telltale Elantrian in WoK, doesn't that mean that there is no illusion and the effect is caused by him being on Roshar, and that Elanrians will cease being Elantrians if they were travel to another planet? 

Can you link to the Coppermind article?  It sounds like there might be some confusion in it.  Brandon's addressed this question.

Yourigath

Can you acces the Dor while on other planets? Can you, I don't know, "tell the Dor" that you are on Roshar using an Aon that doesn't have the base on the map of Sel but in the world of Roshar and use Elantrian magic there? An Aon with an spiral pattern with the right lines, dots, etc... that tells the Dor "I'm here. This is Roshar. And I need your power to do X"

Brandon Sanderson

Great question, and one integral to the workings of cosmere Magic! No, you cannot currently access the Dor anywhere else. The Dor is a big part of why magic on Sel is distinctive.

Yourigath

If an Elantrian worldhops does it returns to a normal human pre-Shaod state? If this Elantrian goes back to Sel it recovers his Elantrian powers or he keeps his pre-Shaod form?

Brandon Sanderson

An Elantrian away from Sel would still be an Elantrian--but many of the visible signs would fade away, much like something florescent that stops glowing when moved away from a Black Light.

source

Ohh I misunderstood your question and the article.  He would still have dull silvery skin, not brown. 

SH

Spoiler

Similar to what the Ire have when Kelsier sees them.

So yeah, he would need to be wearing some sort of illusion.  It wouldn't necessarily have to be Elantrian in origin, though.  We know a couple of different methods of creating illusions.  Or, he could just be wearing LOTS of make up :D

12 hours ago, RShara said:

Ohh I misunderstood your question and the article.  He would still have dull silvery skin, not brown. 

SH

Reveal hidden contents

Similar to what the Ire have when Kelsier sees them.

So yeah, he would need to be wearing some sort of illusion.  It wouldn't necessarily have to be Elantrian in origin, though.  We know a couple of different methods of creating illusions.  Or, he could just be wearing LOTS of make up :D

I am unsure about this:

SH Spoiler

Spoiler

In that istance, the Ire were forcefully fueling themself with Investiture (maybe hacked or maybe real Dor from Sel). I see them in a "Reod+" state. Not enough Investiture to going into "Full Elantrian" but enough to start the trasformation (and gave them infinite lifespan)