[OB] Chance to get a WoB (closed)

1 hour ago, The Sovereign said:

This isn't accurate. Brandon has confirmed that there are other means of bonding a spren, being broken it is just the easiest way.

Brandon has also confirmed that Lopen was never broken, I'm having trouble finding the WOB though.

Maybe not emotionally broken, but I think that losing his arm might have been traumatic enough to crack (even if it's not necessary).

37 minutes ago, RShara said:

Maybe not emotionally broken, but I think that losing his arm might have been traumatic enough to crack (even if it's not necessary).

Possibly, there is also something to be said about the fact he was able to heal it after so much time. I suppose you could make the argument that not ever coming to terms with the lost arm probably isn't a sign of good mental health.

Edited by The Sovereign

This is great @hoiditthroughthegrapevine. Very generous of you.

Your aimian question was my first thought. But I would personally rephrase itr to this.

"You once said at a signing that the Listeners are not of Honor, not originally of Cultivation and not originally of Odium. Are Aimians (Dysian, Siah or both) of Cultivation?".

I'll try think of a less RAFOable question but one I'd love to know is this. 

"Does everyone in the Cosmere with naturally golden hair have some Iriali ancestry?"

Edit - i just realized your aimian question seems to be more about whether they are currently active agents of Cultivation. My curiosity is more aboutwhether they are natural to roshar but subsequently invested by cultivation to become the creatures they are now. Obviously the choice is yours :)

Edited by Extesian

Kind of a mundane meta-physical question:

Is it always consistent from person to person what areas of the body go dead when hit by a shardblade? Are the areas that go dead controlled by something like chi points in the body or is it more like cutting off the spiritual energy to a part of our own mental image of our body, or does it go down to the particles that make up matter where the matter that was disrupted is no longer part of what is "you", or is it something else.  

On 2018-01-22 at 9:32 AM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

who knows, the angle of penmanship of written WoBs and their signifigance might be some sharder's special area of expertise.

Yeah, that´s my job.

Just kidding.

Anyway, a question I would be interested in learning the answer too would what Hoid thinks of the merging of Ruin and Preservation. 

Just gonna sneak this question in a few hours before the deadline even though I doubt it's gonna get even a single upvote that fast:

On Roshar, the Surges are considered the fundamental forces of the Cosmere. Can they be considered fundamental in the way gravity, electromagnetic force and the strong and weak nuclear force are considered fundamental in our universe, or would this comparision not hold up?

Only 4 hours left to vote:

Here are the possible questions with links (in case you want to vote) and current vote tallies (spoilered for length):

Spoiler
  1. Has 8 votes (would be good to put this one to rest for good, but I like some of the other questions better, but this is a democratic process so vote away)

2. Has 3 votes split between 2 posts (possible rephrasing: "If I awaken an object near an illusion made from investiture, will the awakening process drain the investiture from the illusion as well?" and possible follow up from @Stark "Can I use the color from an illusion to fuel my Awakening?")

3. Has 2 votes split between two posts

4. Has 1 vote

5. Has 1 vote

6. Has 4 votes (I like this question a lot!)

7. Has 1 vote

8. Has 1 vote

9. Has 0 votes

10. Has 5 votes (I really like this question too!)

11. Has 0 votes

12. Has 2 votes

13. Has 2 votes

14. Has 2 votes

15. Has 1 vote

16. Has 2 votes

17. Has 2 votes.

So now you know the tally, it's not to late to cast your upvote for the question, but it's getting closer to being too late.

Thanks!

FYI, number 13 has already been RAFO'd.  Don't waste a question that'll be RAFO'd!

Mason Wheeler [PENDING REVIEW]

Opening a perpendicularity. Is that a Bondsmith power or just something special Dalinar did for other reasons?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yeah, we will RAFO that.

source

So the final votes are in, and @RShara's question got the most votes, so we'll get a definitive answer to the following question (which should be about as far from a RAFO as you can possibly get):

On 1/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, RShara said:

Please confirm that Eshonai is dead and gone Beyond, and will not be returning in any form other than as a flashback character?

Thanks for all the great questions, I'm sad that I can only ask one of them, but onwards and upwards and such. Just have to wait for another book signing.

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

So the final votes are in, and @RShara's question got the most votes, so we'll get a definitive answer to the following question (which should be about as far from a RAFO as you can possibly get):

Thanks for all the great questions, I'm sad that I can only ask one of them, but onwards and upwards and such. Just have to wait for another book signing.

This is a bit of a shame in my opinion... Don't get me wrong, it is a good question and I believe both @RShara and I are on the same page that we'd like to never see another Timbre is Eshonai, Eshonai is coming back, is Eshonai alive?, etc., etc. thread as it seems pretty obvious that she is indeed dead and gone. But, this question has like a 1000% chance of getting RAFO'd... it just seems like a waste of a question.

Edited by The Sovereign
Grammar is important.

1 minute ago, The Sovereign said:

This is a bit of a shame in my opinion... don't get me wrong, it is a good question and both @RShara and I are on the same page that we'd like to never see another Timbre is Eshonai, Eshonai is coming back, is Eshonai alive, etc. etc. thread as it seems pretty obvious that she is indeed dead and gone. But this question has like a 1000% chance of getting RAFO'd... it just seems like a waste of a question.

I agree, I really like your Iyatil and the 17th shard question, but it's not a very democratic process if the votes don't match the outcome. I still think like you and @RShara it will be good to put the final nail in Eshonai's coffin. Sad that she's gone, but it's time for closure and moving on.

2 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I agree, I really like your Iyatil and the 17th shard question, but it's not a very democratic process if the votes don't match the outcome. I still think like you and @RShara it will be good to put the final nail in Eshonai's coffin. Sad that she's gone, but it's time for closure and moving on.

Honestly my complaint here isn't not using my question, I actually think the question is good, I'd love to see the proverbial nail in the coffin. I just don't think you are going to get an answer. Hopefully I am wrong.

tenor.gif?itemid=7551542

Edited by The Sovereign

Just now, The Sovereign said:

Honestly my complaint here isn't not using my question, I actually think the question is good, I'd love to see the proverbial nail in the coffin. I just don't think you are going to get an answer.  

tenor.gif?itemid=7551542

I disagree. Brandon's already said that she's dead currently. 

Windrunner

/u/Mistborn (Brandon) said that Eshonai will be the flashback character in Book 4. (source), which would indicate that she's probably still alive in some form.

But we'll see. He could've changed it or that could've been a diversion from Venli being the actual flashback character.

Brandon Sanderson

Eshonai is the flashback character--but she is dead in the present. I've warned people multiple times that we WILL have flashbacks to the viewpoints of characters who have died.

source

All this question is doing is asking for confirmation she went beyond and isn't coming back, which with the current (in my opinion unnecessary) uproar over the many people who have come back from the dead in the Cosmere, I think he'll have no issues saying that's not happening again. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

All this question is doing is asking for confirmation she went beyond and isn't coming back, which with the current (in my opinion unnecessary) uproar over the many people who have come back from the dead in the Cosmere, I think he'll have no issues saying that's not happening again. 

I agree that it's highly likely that he will answer with a simple yes she's gone, but I still love that looping video clip!

It's hilarious that question got the most votes :D  But yeah, it's unlikely to be RAFO'd and it'll be nice to get confirmation.

I don't mind the resurrections, but knowing that she is dead and gone as I do, I just want to put this one in particular to rest.

Personally, I think it's a waste of a question.

More importantly, Brandon has asked us to not ask these kinds of questions:

Sharders, please don't start asking me at signings who has had their "one death" so far. This is me drawing the curtain back a little on the process, I really don't want it to become an official thing that people focus on.

source

From the same WoB, here's this part:

there WILL be other resurrections in my books. (Though there are none planned for the near future. I took some extra care with the next few books, after feeling that things happening in Words and the Mistborn series in the last few years have hit the theme too hard.)

and as it is from August 30th 2017, just five months ago, I'd take it as "Eshonai's not going to return".

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

Cal, I disagree because of the WOB I linked :)

To be honest, if I were him, I'll RAFO most of these kinds of questions, even if I was 100% sure they are 100% dead. RAFOs have to have a margin, otherwise they turn into confirmations. That's why it's important to occassionaly RAFO questions about sensitive matter (like who's dead for good), even if the answer is very simple and you're not gonna change it.

Edited by Oversleep

39 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Cal, I disagree because of the WOB I linked :)

Fair enough. I've read that multiple times, but the entire "controversy" is so ridiculous in my mind I can never remember what all it says. 

The only Cosmere death that the return shocked me was Kelsier, so I've always felt that it's a non-issue. 

21 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

(would be good to put this one to rest for good, but I like some of the other questions better, but this is a democratic process so vote away)

10 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I agree, I really like your Iyatil and the 17th shard question, but it's not a very democratic process if the votes don't match the outcome.

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine to be honest, I don't see why are you binding yourself to our votes. It's your book, your money and your personalisation (which will stay on the book forever).

Our votes can be helpful in determining which questions are the best, or which ones we find interesting, but - and I think @RShara would agree with me - they should be nothing more than an aid for you in deciding which one to ask.

If there is a question you like more, please choose it. Even if it has zero upvotes and it's silly.

Edited by Oversleep
tyop