[OB] Chance to get a WoB (closed)

14 minutes ago, RShara said:

We already have an answer to that one.

That's not the same question though. Food, in so far as it comes from some sort of life/death cycle, carries Cultivation pre-shattering investiture, so it makes sense. Taldaini fresh water is invested by a different shard because that's how they fuel Sand Mastery. And investiture resists other types of investiture.

3 minutes ago, Tobbzn said:

That's not the same question though. Food, in so far as it comes from some sort of life/death cycle, carries Cultivation pre-shattering investiture, so it makes sense. Taldaini fresh water is invested by a different shard because that's how they fuel Sand Mastery. And investiture resists other types of investiture.

I don't think Taldain's fresh water is invested any  more than color is invested or metals on Scadrial are invested.  The fuel doesn't need to be invested.  Taldain's investiture comes from the sun.

53 minutes ago, Tobbzn said:

"Was the Ghostblood symbol created with knowledge of Aon Ati?" (When I heard the description of three overlapping diamonds, I imagined Aon Ati, not the one on the Coppermind)

We have confirmation that the Ghostblood symbol on Coppermind is correct. Brandon said that the Ghostblood symbol could be found in Oathbringer and it was spotted on one of Shallan's drawings, scribbled in a corner. There may also be direct confirmation but I'm not sure of that.

What I can tell you is that the guy who made the icon on the Ghostblood page on Coppermind is also the guy who created the Aon Ati theory that's hanging around somewhere on the forums. It's intruiged him for longer.

13 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

"If I awaken an object near an illusion made from investiture, will the awakening process drain the investiture from the illusion as well?"

Oooh, Can we also add the modifier of "Can I use the colour from an illusion to fuel my Awakening?"

2 hours ago, RShara said:

BTW, what are your other two questions?

I've been thinking about this a fair bit, and I think that the questions that stand the greatest chance of being answered are questions that deal with some very specific mechanic of a magic system that has been fairly well detailed in the cosmere novels to date (so though I am interested in Voidbinding, that's probably a big, gaping RAFO hole to throw questions into). Or questions that are general realmatic questions that deal with some specific aspect of how the 3 realms work in a clear concise way. Or, and this is the type of question I am most interested in, a question that is somewhat vague but that hints at the general direction that something will go in the future of the SLA. This last category of question has to be somewhat vague for two reasons, Brandon is not going to spoil a big reveal of a future book with a question that is too specific, and a too specific question could run up against the wall of "I don't want to decide that right" because Brandon doesn't necessarily want to be locked into a specific implementation of a future event.

Question A (it'll be one of the following two 2 part questions):
A1a) Are the Dysian Aimians agents of Cultivation? (note the very flexible term agents, this is confirmation with a small c, and has quite a bit of wiggle room for interpretation, but it gives a general sense of a casual relationship)

A1b) If not, are they in league with another group (excluding the Knights Radiant) that we have seen? (Again, this is intentionally vague but hints at something incredibly interesting that could probably be followed up on with further more specific questions)

A2a) Say a 20 year old chair that was put into a storage closet in the Physical Realm were to be manifested in Shadesmar (like clothes the spren wear), and further that it stayed in the closet for 150 years without ever being moved, seen or even thought about. If a spren made a modification to the manifested chair in Shadesmar (painted it red lets say), would how the spren think of this chair in the Cognitive Realm affect the appearance of the chair in the Physical Realm?

A2b) Would the manifested chair be destroyed if the chair in the Physical Realm was destroyed?

I'm heavily leaning towards question A1 right now, I really want to know more about the Sleepless.

Question B:
"If a person held enough breath to attain the the 5th heightening, lived for a thousand years, and then sold all but their initial breath, would their spiritual age force them to rapidly age as we saw with Rashek, or would they resume natural aging from the point at which they ceased?"

EDITED with the final phrasing of @Calderis's question, also modified question A1b based on @RShara's prescient observation that it was initially too vague.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

2 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

"If a person held enough breath to attain the the 5th heightening, lived for a thousand years, and then sold all but their initial breath, would their spiritual age force them to rapidly age as we saw with Rashek, or would they resume natural aging from the point at which they ceased?"

I think it would resume naturally - otherwise old Awakeners would drop dead when trying to Awaken something.

Lower Heightenings slow down aging, which would not be the case if it worked like atium, when they return to their original age when out of Breaths.

My question:
If we spiked a singer with Feruchemical nicrosil, could he store the spren he's bonded to and loose form in the process? Could he bond another spren then? Could he then change forms at will by carefully storing and tapping nicrosil?

Edited by Oversleep

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

My question:
If we spiked a singer with Feruchemical nicrosil, could he store the spren he's bonded to and loose form in the process? Could he bond another spren then? Could he then change forms at will by carefully storing and tapping nicrosil?

I really like this question. My understanding of how Nicrosil feruchemical storage works is not the best, but wouldn't the investiture of the individual spren get mixed together in the Nicrosil metalmind? If this happened would you have the ability for the Listener to become a super charged warform/nimbleform/storform/Xform hybrid? However this would work, this is a great question.

I was just looking up WoBs on this in Arcanum, and your new question looks like a follow up to some of your recent questions to Brandon (the WoB chain is spoilered below):

Spoiler

WOB 1 - Warsaw signing, 3-18-2017

Oversleep

Okay, so if we spiked a Listener with Feruchemical Nicrosil, could he store that spren and lose their form, and then bond another spren and then switch them?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm gonna give you your third RAFO, because he's already got two. In part, because I don't wanna give spoilers for Oathbringer, and this answer could spoil some little bits of that.

source

WOB 2 - Krakow Signing, 3-21-2017

Mr. Suit

Can spren - like Syl - be pierced by hemalurgic spike? Will it give some effect?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. A spren can be pierced by Invested metal…

Oversleep

Could it be spiked?

Brandon Sanderson

Could a spike be used to give abilities to spren? That’s not going to work really well.

Oversleep

Could you steal from a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you could steal the Investiture of a spren. Any Investiture can be used in a spike if you know what you’re doing. It’s actually not that hard to use one on a spren.

Oversleep

Because I thought you said Hemalurgy needs moving blood.

Brandon Sanderson

It needs, uh, yeah… there are places where spren have more physical form, more tangible form.

Questioner

Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, no, not Roshar.

Questioner

The Cognitive Realm on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, if you go to the Cognitive Realm on Roshar the spren act differently than they do.

Oversleep

So you could spike in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah I’ll leave a RAFO with you on that. That’s your fifth one. So there are ways to get any Investiture into Hemalurgy if you know what you’re doing. But yeah this is not something that would be a common use for Hemalurgy. Let’s just say that.

Oversleep

We do not concern ourselves with common uses.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I know you don’t. But yeah Hemalurgy, when you’re spiking into somebody you… you’ll see when we get around to it.

source

This part is brilliant, by the way:

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah I’ll leave a RAFO with you on that. That’s your fifth one. So there are ways to get any Investiture into Hemalurgy if you know what you’re doing. But yeah this is not something that would be a common use for Hemalurgy. Let’s just say that.

Oversleep

We do not concern ourselves with common uses.

Here's a third one I'd really like to get clarified. 

During the SLCC Comic Con in 2017, we have this exchange:

Questioner

Vasher is called the first Returned. Was he actually the first?

Brandon Sanderson

He is not the very first person to Return. The lore surrounding Vasher and the first Returned and things like that is not strict on the world. Meaning, it's been many, many years.

Footnote: The questioner appears to have conflated Vo, the First Returned, with Vasher.
source

I'd really like to know if Brandon meant Vo was not the first Returned or if Vo was the first Returned.

44 minutes ago, Jazzy Kandra said:

In-cosmere, which character is writing on the art displaying the different Vorin wines? If it's Nazh, what is his tattoo of?

Yeah this is Nazh, @BlackYeti asked Bradon to draw a picture of Nazh's tattoo at the UK Oathbringer signing in Newcastle, here is his post:

Spoiler

I Heart Chulls, that's a bad tattoo!

This may be answered somewhere else, but I'd be curious to know if the rest of the Shards we don't know the names of are all on planets/places we haven't seen before, or if some are hiding out in places we've already heard of in the novels. 

Does Dalinar's fancy new ability at the end of Oathbringer have more to do with his surges, or to his connection to the Stormfather?

I'd like to know if a fabrial could replicate what Dalinar did with the perpendicularity. (I'd like to see a fabrial spaceship in the future.)

17 hours ago, Oversleep said:

The other WoB was just me jumping on an interesting question :P
A lot of people liked that line about common uses :D

Well, I think part of the answer came when they were storming the palace in Kholinar:

Spoiler

When Kaladin found Gavinor, the kid was being hurt by three bad spren.  Kaladin stabbed and destroyed one of the spren with the sylblade, which is definitely invested metal.

So we saw that under the right circumstances, a spren can be pierced with invested metal in the physical realm.  So you could probably corrupt a spren, or spike something into it in the physical realm.  Spiking out is probably limited to the Cognitive realm however.

3 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

I have one. @hoiditthroughthegrapevine

Someone needs to be broken to form a spren bond. Are children's souls more malleable and able to not be breken but form a spren bond?

This isn't accurate. Brandon has confirmed that there are other means of bonding a spren, being broken it is just the easiest way.

Oathbringer Houston signing (Nov. 18, 2017)

#3 Share  Copy
Play/Pause

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

How was Shallan able to bond with Pattern before she was broken?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

She was open to him even before she went through a lot of that turmoil

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

I thought everybody had to be broken in order to--

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Well, that's their philosophy in-world. But I'm not going to say whether it's correct or wrong. I will imply that there are other means as well.

Brandon has also confirmed that Lopen was never broken, I'm having trouble finding the WOB though.