The sea

Sorry for the lack of citations...

Has anyone noticed that the "sea" is used constantly throughout the Cosmere. I am pretty sure shards have referred to standing in a sea, Hoid has figuratively to the sea as well... has anyone else noticed this motif, and could it possibly have a connection to the spirit realm... I'm going to try to look for examples today.

The first example is an Oathbringer spoiler but it's worth discussing.

Spoiler

We know by WoB that the Shard who described how they were standing in the sea was Autonomy, or at least one of Bavadin's many personas. And that the letter was specifically referring to First of the Sun as the place in question. So he* was apparently being quite literal about the sea there.

* Technically we don't know the gender this persona identifies as (or if the concept of gender is even relevant) but the locals think of Patji as male.

For the second one you mentioned, I don't recall Hoid having anything to do with the sea off the top of my head, except for the story he tells Kaladin about the Wandersail. Which was more an avenue to get Kaladin to think about the story and could have been done just as well in a context with nothing to do with the sea (one book later he could have told the story about Szeth instead of a maybe-fictional king and it would have had the same take-away message), but it's possible I'm forgetting a more specific reference.

That said, I don't doubt that some ocean symbolism is intentional. It's a natural metaphor for any vast space and it's right there in the name Cosmere. :D

• Chaos locked this topic