kvn

Vathi has been confirmed to not be Khriss.

PallonianFire (paraphrased)

Have we seen [Khriss] in any of the books out so far? Is Vathi Khriss?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No, someone else. But you'll see Khriss in a soon-to-be-published book.

Otherwise, I can't comment much on Allomancy. If the Ones Above has Allomancy, or at least Allomantic devices, then it's possible she has access to it, though I wouldn't take her calling it lucky as any sort of proof, that was probably just a Vin-ism.

12 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

Vathi has been confirmed to not be Khriss.

Otherwise, I can't comment much on Allomancy. If the Ones Above has Allomancy, or at least Allomantic devices, then it's possible she has access to it, though I wouldn't take her calling it lucky as any sort of proof, that was probably just a Vin-ism.

Ah, ok.. Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize Sanderson addressed it.

As for the 'luck' reference.. I'm not stating it as proof by any means... just as the basis for my own speculation. And I did think about it being a allomantic device like we see in MB Era 2, but I couldn't fathom as to how you would utilize Tin (that enhances a persons senses) in a machine. But sure it's possible.

1 minute ago, kvn said:

Ah, ok.. Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize Sanderson addressed it.

As for the 'luck' reference.. I'm not stating it as proof by any means... just as the basis for my own speculation. And I did think about it being a allomantic device like we see in MB Era 2, but I couldn't fathom as to how you would utilize Tin (that enhances a persons senses) in a machine. But sure it's possible.

Allomantic device was perhaps the wrong term, but a medallion could grant the power with Nicrosil, Ettmetal, and Tin, similar to the Bands of Mourning, but on a smaller scale.

That's a good catch. I'll need to reread SotD to see if there are other hints as to how Vathi found the safe house or other hints of unique powers; e.g. when the monsters at the end are chasing them does Vathi react more strongly to the loud noises? It will be a fun reread! Have an upvote for giving me an excuse to break out Arcanum Unbounded again!

7 hours ago, RShara said:

That's interesting.  Though I would be more inclined to wonder if she used tin to hear the stream, rather than Vin's "luck" (which was Soothing/Rioting).

That is exactly what I’m saying, she used Tin to hear the stream. I wasn’t implying she was using Vin’s luck. I was saying that I felt Sanderson purposefully used the word ‘luck’ here as a subtle connection for the reader to understand allomancy was being used.

Edited by kvn

18 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

That's a good catch. I'll need to reread SotD to see if there are other hints as to how Vathi found the safe house or other hints of unique powers; e.g. when the monsters at the end are chasing them does Vathi react more strongly to the loud noises? It will be a fun reread! Have an upvote for giving me an excuse to break out Arcanum Unbounded again!

I'm fairly certain she had a compass, given to her by the Ones Above, which allowed her to track the Aviar.  

1 minute ago, Landis963 said:

I'm fairly certain she had a compass, given to her by the Ones Above, which allowed her to track the Aviar.  

That's a good point if that's the case. I'll have to read and see. If you happen to find the excerpt or know the reference, let me know. Thanks.

1 minute ago, kvn said:

Ah, ok. Well, that's why these are speculation... they don't always pan out. Thanks guys for the info.

Oh I don't know, the fact she survived to reach his camp indicates some extreme luck, or something else keeping her alive.

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2018 at 0:49 PM, Lupis said:

Yes, she admits the machine is how she found his camp.

Is it possible the "compass" is one of the medallions that grants allomantic powers?  Possibly bronze if they found a way to use it to detect other investiture rather than just other allomancers?

On 4/3/2018 at 8:03 AM, dbulick said:

Is it possible the "compass" is one of the medallions that grants allomantic powers?  Possibly bronze if they found a way to use it to detect other investiture rather than just other allomancers?

Allomantic bronze requires that the allomancer have ingested bronze, and I didn't see any opportunities for that to have happened.  Or rather, I don't see any such opportunities which would allow Vathi to still have bronze in her system by the time she drew the ability from any hypothetical jailbroken medallions.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My money has been on the Ones Above being from Scadrial (either by descent or by direct fleeing) since my last read of Sixth. Era 3 at least, potentially even Era 4. As such, it's almost probably that they would have mixed with the population.

Edited by Invocation

• 4 years later...

That is a great catch and would make a lot of sense. The question is why did someone come from Scadrial to First of Sun, have kids, and not explain Allomancy? And also now I have a great excuse to go read Sixth of Dusk again, which I am very glad for.

Edited by Mr. Misting