[OB] What topic do you feel has been discussed to death?

MonsterMetroid

While I haven't been here a long time I have noticed that some of the topics of conversation get kind of recycled or never dropped. SO I was curious are there discussion you try to actively avoid or feel like there is nothing more to gain from? If so which ones for you and why?

For me its probably Adolin Shallan and Kalladins relationship because while there was a lot to talk about and theorize about there isn't enough meat to go any further on it I feel. *Shrug*

Edited by MonsterMetroid
added my example

Oh, here we go with Thread #17/b-34 again... :)

But seriously, folks.

Like @MonsterMetroid I tend to avoid ASK shipping threads. Also: all other shipping threads. And "here's what I didn't like about $THING". Nothing wrong with those things as topics of discussion, nor with the people who discuss them! It's just not what I choose to spend my limited forum time on.

I'm also a little rueful every time I see a new "Hey I just finished and I think $THING1 means $THING2, and by the time you click this thread @RShara will already have provided the WoB that flat out says it doesn't!" but that doesn't stop me from reading it.

Edited by digitalbusker
Consistency

1 minute ago, digitalbusker said:

Oh, here we go with Thread #17/b-34 again... :)

But seriously, folks.

Like @MonsterMetroid I tend to avoid ASK shipping threads. Also: all other shipping threads. And "here's what I didn't like about X". Nothing wrong with those things as topics of discussion, nor with the people who discuss them! It's just not what I choose to spend my limited forum time on.

I'm also a little rueful every time I see a new "Hey I just finished and I think $THING1 means $THING2, and by the time you click this thread @RShara will already have provided the WoB that flat out says it doesn't!" but that doesn't stop me from reading them.

That RShara is so rude that way.

One of my pet peeves is Timbre=Eshonai.  No.  No no no and NO ;)

Edited by RShara

26 minutes ago, RShara said:

One of my pet peeves is Timbre=Eshonai.  No.  No no no and NO ;)

How would you have felt about that before Oathbringer (obviously we didn't know the name was Timbre, but that the Comet Spren=Eshonai)?

On topic: It hasn't been discussed much, but I'll avoid posts that say Evi and Dalinar didn't love each other. While their marriage was far from perfect, I do think they loved each other and weren't *completely* miserable.

I get unreasonably annoyed when people come posting what to me are super obvious things, or topics that have already been discussed to death, as if they're new and revelatory. I try to avoid those threads because I'm more likely to be snarky and unhelpful. I try not to hold ignorance of common suppositions because those were news to me once upon a time, too.

6 minutes ago, Govir said:

How would you have felt about that before Oathbringer (obviously we didn't know the name was Timbre, but that the Comet Spren=Eshonai)?

At that time, we didn't have any information about the two of them, so I was skeptical but had no proof either way.  Now, we have clear proof she's not, so the theory irritates me :)

9 minutes ago, RShara said:

At that time, we didn't have any information about the two of them, so I was skeptical but had no proof either way.  Now, we have clear proof she's not, so the theory irritates me :)

But what if the parshendi turn into spren when they die? Huh huh? ;)

Yeah I have avoided all of those just because it seemed obvious to me it wasn't I mean I'm as hopeful for some CS eschonai as the next person but... Yeah I don't think it will happen

Part of me wants to jump onto the "I don´t touch shipping threads" bandwagon (and I don´t, at least not very much), but I won´t do that, because I have made a few posts on those threads. I am not generally a shipping guy though. But as long as it has relevance to people, which the shipping stuff apparently has, it should be discussed.

One thing I do dislike though, is "Character X will be brought back to life" or "Is Character X really dead". Mostly because I want Odium to win prefer stories where characters stay dead. So I am with @RShara on her big NO to Eshonai=Timbre. I wish I could get to one of the Eshonai=Timbre posts before her to voice my discontent, but she is always there before me. 

15 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Part of me wants to jump onto the "I don´t touch shipping threads" bandwagon (and I don´t, at least not very much), but I won´t do that, because I have made a few posts on those threads. I am not generally a shipping guy though. But as long as it has relevance to people, which the shipping stuff apparently has, it should be discussed.

One thing I do dislike though, is "Character X will be brought back to life" or "Is Character X really dead". Mostly because I want Odium to win prefer stories where characters stay dead. So I am with @RShara on her big NO to Eshonai=Timbre. I wish I could get to one of the Eshonai=Timbre posts before her to voice my discontent, but she is always there before me. 

You snooze, you loose ;)

26 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Part of me wants to jump onto the "I don´t touch shipping threads" bandwagon (and I don´t, at least not very much), but I won´t do that, because I have made a few posts on those threads.

I guess it depends on what you mean by shipping threads too. I started a theory figuring that Shallan and Adolin will get divorced, but that is anti-shiping right? :D But yeah I touch them I just don't need to live in them.

The other topic.. not necessarily thread because I haven't seen many threads around it, is I don't like "Adolin didn't get enough screen time" argument. I mean I understand that many people wished he got more time in the book... but what do they want from talking about it so much? It's not like Brandon is going to add 200 superfluous page to a book that is released. IDK just seems weird to me.

1 minute ago, Blazenella said:

Mine is either what Moash did to Jezrien is theorized to be Hemalurgy or that it is just flat out Hemalurgy. I quote that WoB a lot

haha I forgot about this one. Yeah that is annoying too and comes down to semantics basically.

12 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Not if you ask the Shalladin gang.

Lol I guess that's true which means the Shadolin gang feels it is shipping too, bugger. Though for the record I don't think she will end up with either of them at least not from what I have seen so far.

1 hour ago, Blazenella said:

Mine is either what Moash did to Jezrien is theorized to be Hemalurgy or that it is just flat out Hemalurgy. I quote that WoB a lot

But there are so many WoB! Which one is it? You know, so I can know to send it to other people that ask this question, that I totally already know the answer to...

The hundred possible plot twists which needs to happen just so Kaladin could have a chance to end up with Shallan or the thousand ways it is absolutely sure and foreshadowed Adolin and Shallan will either divorce or meet a tragic end. This horse was beaten down to death and is highly unlikely to happen anyway. Also, at some point, readers got to accept the narrative: Shallan chose Adolin and SA isn't a romance novel. 

Is there some obscure convoluted plot twist which would allow this or that dead character to not really be dead?

Which order would this or that character be part of if he/she were to become a Radiant?

This character is probably broken because there was a tragedy in his/her past, will he/she become a Radiant?

4 minutes ago, maxal said:

Which order would this or that character be part of if he/she were to become a Radiant?

This character is probably broken because there was a tragedy in his/her past, will he/she become a Radiant?

These are kind of renewable though. Just insert random secondary character who hasn't been discussed yet/discussed much in these kinds of topics. Mraize, Iyatil, Ialai, Gawx, Jakamav, Aladar, etc.

8 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

These are kind of renewable though. Just insert random secondary character who hasn't been discussed yet/discussed much in these kinds of topics. Mraize, Iyatil, Ialai, Gawx, Jakamav, Aladar, etc.

True, but my thoughts are we are sometimes trying too hard to find plot twists. Remember the Helaran is not dead discussion?

17 minutes ago, maxal said:

The thing that bothers me more is the opposite of this. How could this character have possibly become a Radiant when we don't know of some terrible tragedy in their past. 

Also, Shallan can't possibly be on her fourth ideal because she hasn't manifested plate yet. People make that argument with other characters like Jasnah too, but it bothers me most with Shallan since we actually have a WoB on her. 

8 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

The thing that bothers me more is the opposite of this. How could this character have possibly become a Radiant when we don't know of some terrible tragedy in their past. 

Also, Shallan can't possibly be on her fourth ideal because she hasn't manifested plate yet. People make that argument with other characters like Jasnah too, but it bothers me most with Shallan since we actually have a WoB on her. 

This one is because Brandon said Shallan was 1 ahead of Kaladin at the end of WoR, and Kaladin was on 3.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/156-words-of-radiance-lexington-signing/#e2845

40 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Yes, this is a good one. I would add to this: "Adolin will revive Maya by forming a reverse Nahel Bond where she is broken and not him because his past is not nearly tragic enough when we compared to other characters.". A variation would be: "Jasnah must have been raped or physically abused in order to justify her Nahel Bond because surely what she hides is just as awful as Shallan.".

Or another one would be comparing pains in saying one character obviously had it worst than another as if people are reacted the same way to the similar hardships: what breaks a man makes another.

I definitely agree with the second one. I would add there are no textual evidence nor WoB I am aware of which states a Radiant should have Plate after the fourth ideal. Also, knowing most Skybreakers stagnate at the third order seems to indicate not all Radiants ever made it to the fourth/fifth oath and yet all had access to the Plate. I say, they all have access to it, they just do not know how to manifest it yet.

I think any topic where they use diagrams, I mean come on, what can diagrams teach us. I actually made a Venn diagram to illustrate this point:

LoveDiagrams.png.4958f0e3229fb4c73d03570359a24414.png

*Bugnuts© is the intellectual property of @RShara, anyone who wishes to use said phrase has to formally commit in writing that:

5 hours ago, RShara said:

Timbre=Eshonai.  No.  No no no and NO ;)

But in all seriousness, I stay away from the shipping threads too. I love the theories on the shard, but the shipping threads are an unforgiving vacuum of time, and I have far too much of my time vacuumed up by the shard as it is.

I do have to admit, that before I joined the shard I had a reflexive eye twitchy reaction to the word meme, it made me slightly nauseous. But after Oathbringer, I am totally all in, and the OB meme thread is Hilarious!!

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine
formatting error