Do Spren and Shardblades connect with the mind, and give the weilder more strenght in a certain trait?

Eloctherandom

So I see a lot of controversy to why Kaladin was able to heal his wound when cut by a Szeth's Shardblade, while Szeth was not able to heal himself with his excess Stormlight he had with him when Kaladin killed him. So, my question; Are Spren, Stormlight, or Shards able to look at your strengths, and automatically apply it when in need? For example, Kaladin could heal a Shardblade (an Honorblade non of the less) cut which should have torn his soul because Syl or his Stormlight could make a mental connection with his past as a Surgeon, and apply that to the power that he already had, healing his arm. And the reason why I do not believe it was due to him being a Windrunner, is because while Szeth was not a true Windrunner (getting his power from the sword) he still had the capabilities, but could not heal.

Kaladin can heal the shardblade cut while Szeth could not because the nahel bond is more connected with the soul, and the stormlight infuses his soul more.

Brandon Sanderson

A full-blown Radiant can heal almost anything (cut from a Shardblade included) because of the way the magic works--their soul is literally bonded to investiture, and it suffuses them in such a way that even the soul is very resilient to damage.

Honorblades are what you'd consider a "prototype" for what eventually happened with Shardblades. An Honorblade can be used by anyone, without need for oaths, which makes them very dangerous--but since the bond isn't as deep, they are far less efficient. They use more stormlight, for example, and can't heal to the extent that a Radiant can.

So the difference is not in the device that did the damage, but in the method using to heal. Over the course of the first two book, the reader should be able to subtly pick out differences from what Szeth says is possible(in more than just healing) and what Kaladin experiences.

[Source]

Yeah, as mentioned it's because Honorblades don't grant all the benefits of a Nahel bond. The blades can't transform like a living spren, they're less efficient in stormlight use, they don't grant the same degree of stormlight healing... but it has nothing to do with the nature of the individual Radiant. Shallan or Jasnah could have done the same thing as Kaladin and with Progression, Lift or Renarin could theoretically heal even faster.

23 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Kaladin can heal the shardblade cut while Szeth could not because the nahel bond is more connected with the soul, and the stormlight infuses his soul more.

Thank you guys, I've only read the Second book in the series, so I was kinda lost, and had limited knowledge.

• Chaos locked this topic