Trading Card Games

Quiver

So.. I just watched a video regarding trading card game stuff.

Now, when I was a kid, I was sort of into Magic:The Gathering, Yu-Gi-oh, Pokemon... but it was never stuff I really got into. Still, this video kind of piqued my interest.
Does anyone have any advice on where to look into this kind of stuff and how to get started as it were?

There are two main considerations you want to have: 

1) What's your budget? How much does it cost to have fun? How much to be competitive? 

2) Do you have a thriving local community? Can you consistently get games? 

FFG has a few LCGs that are fun and alive and don't cost as much long term as Magic, though the initial buy in can be quite expensive. 

Edited by TheOrlionThatComesBefore

I know Magic the gathering, and most likely others, has a time limit of I think two years of a card coming out to be used in competition. I know from others if you want to officially compete you have to be constantly buying cards to remain up to date.

If you are just going to play amongst friends at your house then it really doesnt matter though. I think to get started you should purchase a starter deck and then by smaller booster packs to get better cards. I am sure you could watch youtube videos that teach you how to play and other tips.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

There are two main considerations you want to have: 

1) What's your budget? How much does it cost to have fun? How much to be competitive? 

2) Do you have a thriving local community? Can you consistently get games? 

FFG has a few LCGs that are fun and alive and don't cost as much long term as Magic, though the initial buy in can be quite expensive. 

@Quiver I would second this reccomendation for FFG LCGs. I actually just purchased Netrunner about a week ago, and so far I'm very satisfied... although the initial buy in did make me cringe. I don't play MTG but I've thought about it a few times and so I did some research. If I were going to get started in MTG I would buy the Deck Builder`s toolkit for the most recent set. It has everything you need, and plenty of cards for limitless deckbuilding (probably not limitless) and it's $20'ish on Amazon. Oh, and all the cards are standard legal.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I play MTG, Netrunner, and L5R. With MTG though, I only buy packs when there's a set i'm interested in. I don't play any of them competitively, I just have my couple decks in each game. One of my friends is a registered judge for MTG so he's constantly handing me cards to make my decks better. 

• 5 months later...