[OB] Which moment in Stormlight gave you the feels?

ICanDream

3 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

I have to say. The entire area from you cannot have my pain, to I am unity. That was beautiful.

That was exactly the part I was thinking of.  It was so beautiful and I love Dalinar so much more.

@ICanDream I agree with your “Honor is dead but I’ll see what I can do.”

I also want to add the part when Kaladin is at the honorchasm.

"You cannot have my pain."

Strangely enough, Dalinar (I feel) genuinely thanking the thrill for its friendship as he's capturing it hit me in a weird spot. Sometimes friendships are just bad for you, doesn't mean the emotions involved were any less real.

Child Renarin getting Dalinar some wine with his allowance because he doesn't want to see his dad in pain.

Renarin taking over the situation with the Thunderclast was a good fist pump moment, along with Teft unlocking the Oathgate.

16 hours ago, Vissy said:

Haven't really gotten the "feels" from Stormlight, but rather big adrenaline rushes from fight scenes and the such. Kaladin's Oaths, Tower, Adolin 3on1.

I'm reminded of a scene I happened to catch from a TV show somebody else was watching. (I think it was Scandal, if that matters.)

Character A: You have feelings for me!

Character B: I don't have feelings for you! I like you, and respect you, and I'm angry with you....

Me: Those are all feelings!

Edited by digitalbusker
Spelling

I was surprised how much Elhokar's death's gave me the feels in OB, and not for Kaladin's sake but for Elhokar's. I would not have predicted that. "You cannot have my pain" got me too. 

I feel like there were more moments in WoK and WoR overall though it's harder to pinpoint. Definitely Kaladin's oaths. Parts of the chasm sequence in WoR.

Always and forever: The Tower. The best scene of the series for me, easily, and I doubt it will get topped. The moment where Kaladin gives up his best chance at freedom to go rescue the hated lighteyes. Where he realizes that he needs to be more like his father and be the one to make the first move.

And then Syl telling him what she is, and asking if she brings Honor or is just attracted to it.

I get chills every time, even just writing about it here.

"You cannot have my pain" struck the biggest chord with me. I was so sure Dalinar was going to go over to Odium in that moment, and instead he resisted.

Second biggest moment was Kaladin crying to Syl about not being able to speak the next Ideal. I certainly expected it to happen, but for BS to throw a curveball there was such good writing.

To echo many, in no particular order, 

1) The entire Dalinar walking up to Odium clutching TWoK to "The most important step a man can take is the next one." To "You cannot have my pain." Beautiful. I still tear up.

2) Kaladin and bridge 4 realizing at the tower that they had to go save the Kholin army.

3) "Honor is dead. But I'll see what I can do."

4) Adolin ignoring Elhokar's death so he could get everyone to the Oathgate, realizing that the Oathgate is corrupted and asking Shallan to activate it anyway.

5) Evi telling Adolin and Renarin as kids what a wonderful person their father was, while he essentially neglected them.

6) Renarin trying to comfort his father by giving him wine and Dalinar breaking down crying and hugging him. 

7) The whole Renarin/Jasnah scene.

So I have posted on similar posts (like @MonsterMetroid post) before with a list of the scenes that made me emotional but I have left out one scene that was particularly sad to me.  It is part of The Tower when Dalinar mentally says goodbye to Renarin (which thankfully wasn't his last).  Gets me everytime

"And so I die, Dalinar thought, crashing into the Parshendi ranks. There he found peace. An unexpected emotion on the field of battle, but all the more welcome for that.  He did, however, discover one regret: He was leaving poor Renarin as Kholin highprince, in over his head and surrounded by enemies grown fat on the flesh of his father and brother.  I never did deliver that Shardplate I promised him, Dalinar thought. He will have to make his way without it. Honor of our ancestors protect you, son.  Stay strong—and learn wisdom more quickly than your father did.  Farewell."

Like I said, there are tons of scenes that get me and most are listed above but I hadn't seen someone mention this particular part.

Another one That always tears me up is the Storm for kaladin

“The ring,” Syl whispered.

The ring. The rope tied his legs to a steel ring on the side of the roof behind him. Kaladin let go, then snatched the ring as he was blown backward. He clutched to it. The rope continued down to his ankles, about the length of his body. He thought for a moment of untying the ropes, but he didn’t dare let go of the ring. He clung there, like a pennant flapping in the wind, holding the ring in both hands, sphere cupped inside one of them and pressed against the steel.

Each moment was a struggle. The wind yanked him left, then hurled him right. He couldn’t know how long it lasted; time had no meaning in this place of fury and tumult. His numbed, battered mind started to think he was in a nightmare. A terrible dream inside his head, full of black, living winds. Screams in the air, bright and white, the flash of lightning revealing a terrible, twisted world of chaos and terror. The very buildings seemed blown sideways, the entire world askew, warped by the storm’s terrible power.

In those brief moments of light when he dared to look, he thought he saw Syl standing in front of him, her face to the wind, tiny hands forward. As if she were trying to hold back the storm and split the winds as a stone divided the waters of a swift stream.

Syl just in front of him it tears me up all the time of what friendship they have. I would buy a painting of that

To add to those already listed, the scene where windspren rush around Kaladin to help him push back a part of the highstorm and rescue human refugees in OB. I think there's a significance in Kaladin standing up to a force of nature to save lives.

Also - Shallan's presentation of the girl climbing the wall and her breakdown in the Tower as she admitted to herself what happened with her father.

In WoR, right after the chasm scene, when a messenger tells Dalinar that Stormblessed just came out of the chasms, and it says "Dalinar ran the whole way." Undignified thing for a high prince to do, but he'd developed a relationship with Kaladin  and especially after the fight in the arena. When he calls Kaladin "son," it's like he truly means it - not the same as Adolin and Renarin, but still a dearness, not just a military relationship.

In OBR, I agree with all the stuff everyone else has posted above. I'll just add one: I really love how Glys talks to Renarin near the end, how he's so childlike and excited to be on the side of right. "It will be beautiful, Renarin! Look" "It will fear you! It will go. Make it so that it will go." I'm really looking forward to finding out more about Glys, what kind of spren he really is, what it means for Renarin's bond and knighthood, etc.

Edited by old aggie
addition

I have to agree with all of the above but a few that haven't been mentioned yet are

1:when Rock shoots Amaram with the shard bow(I believe its Amaram I could be wrong though).

2:Shallan creating her illusions during the battle of Thaylen city.

3: wit giving his advice to shallan.

but I have to say Teft saying his third oath was probably the most feeling moment in the book for me personally.

For me, the most powerful scenes were these:

Oathbringer:

Dalinar, rushing to grab The Way of Kings and holding onto it as his horror at his own history is crashing over him.

Evi's Death. Wept uncontrollably at work for about half an hour...

Elhokar's Death. I wanted so badly for him to succeed, and for him to die like that, trying to protect his son...yeah, I cried. So what?

The entire scene revolving around Elhokar's death from Kaladin's point of view as people he cared about slaughtered each other.

Dalinar's "You cannot have my pain" --> his ascension.

Shallan's despair after the boy is murdered while under the guise of Veil.

Words of Radiance:

Kaladin's scene where he stands up to Moash.

Shallan's scene where she kills her father. That one got me good. "So sleep, my baby dear."

Way of Kings:

Amaram's betrayal of Kaladin and his men.

Dalinar giving up Oathbringer in order to free Kaladin and the other bridgecrews.

I feel like this book did nothing but tug at my heart strings, but a few are particularly notable:

1. The Girl Who Looked Up. Both times, but moreso the time with Hoid and the whole conversation that followed. 

2. Elhokar's death. He's not even one of my favorite characters. I barely even like him. But that had to be one of the most upsetting character deaths I've ever read. 

3. "You cannot have my pain."

4. When Szeth has his realization the he always had a choice and the stone had only ever been a rock. 

5. Renarin and Jasnah. My word. 

6. This is suddenly out of order because I realize I forgot Bridge Four carrying the bridge back for the last time. 

In particular, the first and third hit me hard because or how what Shallan and Dalinar are learning reflects the things I've been needing to learn and deal with in my own life.