Subsumer Mechanics

Jimpy

I was looking through the Coppermind and noticed something that's both potentially silly and interesting, which of course means I'm gonna post about it.

A bendalloy Ferring is known as a Subsumer. Bendalloy is used to store nutrition and calories. While filling a bendalloymind, a Feruchemist is able to eat large quantities of food without becoming full. Tapping such a metalmind will allow the user to go without food. A separate bendalloymind can be used to store fluid intake.[2]

Now I know that people have theorized that this is exactly what Lift needs in her life, but the way that this is written is making me think of something else. A Subsumer can eat, without feeling full.

This means one of two things:

1. The Subsumer is just losing their ability to feel how much they have in their stomach, and are at risk of overeating and would need to, as Wayne would put it, "force a mango through their delicate donut."
  2. The Subsumer is storing the food they consume in the metal mind, and then filling their stomach with the food again later.

This post is going to deal with the possibilities inherent to the second option.

What, exactly, is food?

Most people don't consider shells to be food, but Horneaters love them. Pattern once thought that spheres would be food to Shallan, and suggested she eat one. An Allomancer basically eats metal too......

So does a Subsumer just transfer the contents of their stomach into a metalmind?

If this is the case, an Allomancer could swallow a silly amount of metal, store it, and never run out. When an Allomancer goes to ingest more metal, they are vulnerable to steel pushes and iron pulls knocking away their metal, but not through this method. It also removes the need to burn away valuable metals at night to prevent poisoning, as the metal could be tossed into a metalmind.

I know my last post also included compounding, but if the storage keeps track of what's inside it, could this storage be compounded to duplicate the matter inside it? Sure, it'd still be in your stomach, but the Mistborns of old would gladly cough up their fancy bead of Atium if they didn't use it. Bendalloy twinborns could become the highest demanded people on Scadrial! Who wouldn't want a person who can duplicate anything they swallow?

This is all, of course, secondary to the true talent of a Subsumer: a talent that allows them to consume anything. The talent of the greatest superhero who has ever lived:

MATTER EATER LAD

MEL2.thumb.jpg.fdf8255e21658aa88314d884bbe0fd58.jpg

Edited by Jimpy

So filling a bendalloy metalmind causes the body to metabolize food quicker? That would mean that a Subsumer can eat while filling the mind, then tap it immediately to digest I think?

On 15/1/2018 at 5:33 AM, Jimpy said:

So filling a bendalloy metalmind causes the body to metabolize food quicker? That would mean that a Subsumer can eat while filling the mind, then tap it immediately to digest I think?

I believe not, the food will probably need to be digested and one in the actual bloodstream if could be stored. So you will need some minutes after a part to start to be able to store a bit of a meal (depending of the kind of meal) and hours to store all of it.

On 15/1/2018 at 5:57 AM, Jimpy said:

Also what counts as a nutrient? People need iron in their diets, could a Lurcher burn the iron they get from the metalmind?

It will depend by the previous point, if the food need to be into the organism he need to digest/assimilate the iron too. I believe you mistyped because I don't know how a Lurcher fits into this kind of topic

10 hours ago, Yata said:

It will depend by the previous point, if the food need to be into the organism he need to digest/assimilate the iron too. I believe you mistyped because I don't know how a Lurcher fits into this kind of topic

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I don't think lurchers can burn metabolized iron, which is ionic, only elemental iron.

Spoolofwhool seems to have understood, honestly I was just grasping at straws because I like this too much.

It would make sense if a metabolized metals were off limits or an Allomancer would probably get some bad health issues from using all the metal they get from a regular diet.

• Chaos locked this topic