Duralumin with other magic system

Supreme King Z-arc

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 8:38 PM, Skip Hates Dragons said:

Does Duralumin work with other magic systems? I looked for WoB but I couldn't find anything?

If it does it would be the best compounder on a Cosmere scale. 

Mmm compounding duralumin would enable you to enhance Connection.  I'm not sure how an insanely strong Connection would impact other magic systems, but I don't think it'd be insanely powerful.

If someone were to burn Allomantic duralumin while trying to use a surge or similar power, the effects would be....interesting to observe.  I don't think it'd do much for Breath or for using the Dor, though.

15 hours ago, RShara said:

I don't think it'd do much for Breath or for using the Dor, though.

A-Nicrosil might be able to short circuit an Aon(now I'm theorizing the feasibility of coding a Surge Protector into an Aon. This is a rather.. fascinating mental picture)

Or I'm vastly overthinking and it might just make Aon Ashe brighter. :)

Edited by The One Who Connects
Edit: Oh hey, 2,800 posts! :)

Well

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 10:44 PM, RShara said:

Mmm compounding duralumin would enable you to enhance Connection.  I'm not sure how an insanely strong Connection would impact other magic systems, but I don't think it'd be insanely powerful.

If someone were to burn Allomantic duralumin while trying to use a surge or similar power, the effects would be....interesting to observe.  I don't think it'd do much for Breath or for using the Dor, though.

Could Increased connection on sel could lead to becoming a elatrian or forger for a short amount of time? Or could it increase connection to the Dor?

1 hour ago, Skip Hates Dragons said:

Could Increased connection on sel could lead to becoming a elatrian or forger for a short amount of time? Or could it increase connection to the Dor?

If increased Connection on Sel led to this, then would the medallions that the Southern Scandrians wear that Connect you to a land lead to increased connection to the Dor or becoming an elantion/forger?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 0:44 AM, RShara said:

Duralumin+Division=Shattered Plains

45 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Interplanetary war?

Arcanum Unbounded spoilers, Sixth of the Dusk in particular.

Spoiler

The way the Ones Above were acting around First of the Sun, it seems kinda inevitable that there's going to be some conflict between them and other civilizations in Era 4, whether they are Scadrians or not.

2 hours ago, RShara said:

Arcanum Unbounded spoilers, Sixth of the Dusk in particular.

Reveal hidden contents

The way the Ones Above were acting around First of the Sun, it seems kinda inevitable that there's going to be some conflict between them and other civilizations in Era 4, whether they are Scadrians or not.

I've read Sixth. I just didn't picture such interactions as indicative of an interplanetary war or conflict.

6 hours ago, Agent34 said:

I've read Sixth. I just didn't picture such interactions as indicative of an interplanetary war or conflict.

When it comes to era 4, I've seen things hinted that make it the closing story if the Cosmere. I've seen hat the Sleepless will be involved. That Hoid will be a main character. More offhand comments that make it seem like it will be much crazier like having to wait til era 4 to see a fight between a Radiant and a Mistborn.

Beyond little comments though, I've never heard an once of what it's storyline will be beyond "Mistborn space opera." I'm not sure where the interplanetary war thing came from either. 

Edit: not trying to say that that can't be the case, I'm just curious as to where it came from because other than R'Shara's spoiler tag, I haven't actually seen anything that hints at the story of era 4 beyond it being the end of the Cosmere sequence. And I'm me so if I've missed something I want to see it. 

Edited by Calderis

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

When it comes to era 4, I've seen things hinted that make it the closing story if the Cosmere. I've seen hat the Sleepless will be involved. That Hoid will be a main character. More offhand comments that make it seem like it will be much crazier like having to wait til era 4 to see a fight between a Radiant and a Mistborn.

Beyond little comments though, I've never heard an once of what it's storyline will be beyond "Mistborn space opera." I'm not sure where the interplanetary war thing came from either. 

Edit: not trying to say that that can't be the case, I'm just curious as to where it came from because other than R'Shara's spoiler tag, I haven't actually seen anything that hints at the story of era 4 beyond it being the end of the Cosmere sequence. And I'm me so if I've missed something I want to see it. 

4 hours ago, RShara said:

It's just a guess, but I find it a likely scenario.

I don’t really know if it will happen, but I really want it to, and I feel it would be a good way to like, go out in a bang.

Well I mean, we know it'll have FTL.  We know it'll have Hoid.  And, given it's a story, it will have conflict.  I guess it might not get to the point of all out war, but there's definitely going to be space fights, which is close enough.

On 23-2-2018 at 9:15 PM, Storms! said:

I think the Shattered Plains got to do with the Illumination Surge though.

17 hours ago, RShara said:

Well I mean, we know it'll have FTL.  We know it'll have Hoid.  And, given it's a story, it will have conflict.  I guess it might not get to the point of all out war, but there's definitely going to be space fights, which is close enough.

I want to see Brandon Sanderson writing space fights. Space battles that don't break five laws of physics per minute are certain to be absolutely awesome.

2 hours ago, Leyrann said:

I think the Shattered Plains got to do with the Illumination Surge though.

It could be!  If Lightweavers had enough stormlight and could manipulate soundwaves, then they could have created the Shattered Plains.  Either Division or Lightweaving could have accomplished it, imo.  Or Lightweavers in conjunction with Stonewards.  There's a lot of fun ways it could have been done :D

Just now, RShara said:

It could be!  If Lightweavers had enough stormlight and could manipulate soundwaves, then they could have created the Shattered Plains.  Either Division or Lightweaving could have accomplished it, imo.  Or Lightweavers in conjunction with Stonewards.  There's a lot of fun ways it could have been done :D

I think Division is more related to "increasing entropy", for lack of a more elegant way of putting it. You burn things that don't normally burn at the temperature there is, you make molecules fall apart while they normally wouldn't, etc (increasing the amount of molecules is always a good way to increase entropy...). Illumination, on the other hand, is described, according to the Coppermind (which got it from an official source but I don't remember where) as "the Surge of Light, Sound and various Waveforms". I don't know how that stuff was called that Kabsal had that could make the patterns of several large cities, but that's been proposed before in regards to the Shattered Plains, and it's a theory I like a lot. If nothing else, I doubt Division would make them symmetrical.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:25 PM, Leyrann said:

I think Division is more related to "increasing entropy", for lack of a more elegant way of putting it. You burn things that don't normally burn at the temperature there is, you make molecules fall apart while they normally wouldn't, etc (increasing the amount of molecules is always a good way to increase entropy...). Illumination, on the other hand, is described, according to the Coppermind (which got it from an official source but I don't remember where) as "the Surge of Light, Sound and various Waveforms". I don't know how that stuff was called that Kabsal had that could make the patterns of several large cities, but that's been proposed before in regards to the Shattered Plains, and it's a theory I like a lot. If nothing else, I doubt Division would make them symmetrical.

Cymatics.  And yes, I agree that it's very likely.  I just think that Division possibly could have done the same thing as well.  Here's a description of Oh man, spoilers for Oathbringer

Spoiler

when Malata burned a pattern onto the table in OB.

Marks spread out from the point of contact, little swirls of blackness etching themselves into the wood. The scent of burning filled the air, but the flames didn’t persist if she didn’t will them to.

The swirls and lines extended across the tabletop, a masterwork of engraving accomplished in moments. Malata blew off the ash. The Surge she used, Division, caused objects to degrade, burn, or turn to dust.

I actually think it was a few types of Radiants working in conjunction, so it could have been both.

Edited by RShara

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Storms! said:

This wasn't supposed to be an actual theory. Just something interesting to think about. A Surgebinder with one of the more destructive surges who happens to have a Duralumin spike... Devastating

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, RShara said:

This is more what I was talking about with the "interplanetary war" comment. Brandon has made some comments that we would get to see users of different magic systems fighting each other later on, and since we have a few immortals running around, there will be familiar faces involved. So some sort of war that involves peoples from different planets, but not necessarily Roshar vs Scadrial vs Sel or anything like that.

I want to see some multiethnic groups with in depth knowledge of Realmatics hack the crap out of several magic systems and go at it.

• Chaos locked this topic