Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zape

A question about kandra biology

8 posts in this topic

i just finished reading shadows of self and in one of the scene's where Melaan flirted with Wayne a thought popped into my mind what whould happen if a kandra slept with a human ? according to themselves kandra are perfect recreations of the people they are imitating presumably down to the cellular level so they theoretically could create working sexual organs so what whould happen ? whould they be infertile ? whould they be able to have children ? will those children be human kandra or some sort of half breed  ?

Edited by Zape

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/171/#e8323

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Could a kandra imitating a human have a child with the human?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So, I kinda go back and forth on this. So-- 'Cause I think about it, then I tweak the magic, and I think "no this isn't possible," and then I go back, and I'm like, "but..." So it kinda comes down to a lot of things, such as, would I want a DNA test to be able to determine if a kandra is real or not. And I haven't canonized that yet, so your answer is, Read And Find Out, once I decide. I go back and forth on that one so much.

He has previously said that a Female Human and a Male Kandra wouldn't be a big deal, so theoretically...

Questioner
If a kandra and a human were to have a baby, what would that baby be like?

Brandon Sanderson
I would say that right now… It would depend... The kandra would have to remain in human form, keep the same body, and then would give birth to a human. If it was a woman [human] with a man [kandra], it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, with a kandra. Does that make sense? Because when the kandra is in human form, they can identically recreate the bodily functions and things if they want to.

But as the more recent WoB Shqueeves posted says, this is yet another subject that he's going back and forth on.

i think brandon whould tend towards yes since the kandra are said to mimic a human perfectly what really interests me is what whould the child be human kandra or half breed ? if its kandra then you might have found a way to repopulate if its a half breed i want to see what it will be further more what whould happen if two kandra's mimicking humans were to have sex ?

Edited by Zape

7 hours ago, Zape said:

what would happen if two Kandra's mimicking humans were to reproduce?

Sidenote: Kandra is like "Fish," both singular and plural, so you don't need the ('s).

You do raise an interesting point, albeit unintentionally. We know that Mistwraith's breed true, so I'm very curious why Kandra do not seem to be able to.

7 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Sidenote: Kandra is like "Fish," both singular and plural, so you don't need the ('s).

You do raise an interesting point, albeit unintentionally. We know that Mistwraith's breed true, so I'm very curious why Kandra do not seem to be able to.

I'm guessing that one of the main reasons they can't is because the way that the blessings give them sapience (remove the cognitive block) doesn't breed true, so they'd just end up with a mistwraith child.

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

so they'd just end up with a mistwraith child.

Oh right. I did forget about that possibility

The child would probably be genetically human. It’s the SDNA that’s weird. You wouldn’t be able to tell anything from a DNA test... but the law suits could be interesting. “I’m not the father! It was a Kandra using my DNA!”