What is your job? (I'm unemployed)

Olenska

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

I'm a programmer. I applied the regular way :P I found out that a company is hiring and I sent them my CV. Nothing magical about it.

I always wanted to have a job connected to the computer. How did you start this profession? Are you a computer engineer?

1. I studied and got Master's degree in programming. That's how I started.

2. Yes, you are flooding, please keep to one post in a row, you can edit them.

3. No idea what ALDI is, and I can't really help you with anything. I'm probably from a different continent :P

4. You posted a link to a site that I saw other user post yesterday and considered spam. I removed the link from your post. If you honestly just want to talk, that's fine, but if you're trying to advertise that webpage, then better stop.

23 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

3. No idea what ALDI is, and I can't really help you with anything. I'm probably from a different continent :P

4. You posted a link to a site that I saw other user post yesterday and considered spam. I removed the link from your post. If you honestly just want to talk, that's fine, but if you're trying to advertise that webpage, then better stop.

Hard way for the get that job. :)

Oh i'm just searching some positions on the internet and found that site. Sorry about that if i'm something mistake. 

Check the local library near you. Libraries often run free career workshops: finding out what your skills are, finding out what types of jobs are out there and what qualifications you need, learning how to write a resume and/or fill out an application, learning how to conduct yourself in a job interview ... many libraries have free classes on all these things. It seems like this is the point you are at right now.

Not having a job is frightening! But there ARE jobs out there you CAN do! May hope burn bright in your heart @Olenska!

I've done a variety of jobs over my lifetime so far. I've worked at Gamestop, a movie theater, the Warner Bros. Store, Panera Bread, medical records transcription, a catering company, hospital cleaning staff, Walgreens, paid internships, Ericsson, and, now, Microsoft as a Software Engineer (level 1 haha).

Most jobs I found by simply going to the store, asking for an application, and then filling it out on the spot and attaching a copy of my resume. Other jobs were found by asking friends/acquaintances and having them refer me to where they work. A couple were found by my parents and their friends introducing me to someone. The catering job came about after I volunteered at an event and the catering staff liked my work ethic. Internships during college led to full-time jobs when I graduated. My current job was found by using LinkedIn; a recruiter liked my page/experience and reached out to me.

There are a lot of ways to find work and looking online is a one avenue. Job hunting is, to me, a lot like dating - you just have to keep asking until someone says yes haha. Good luck!

Universe 1:  I work for a secret government agency that toils to protect our fair citizens from supernatural and otherwise spooky threats. And also to make sure that non-threatening supernatural types are okay. This involves everything from tracking Bigfeet to offering directions to lost UFOs to preventing the annual Great Turkey (the bird, not the country) Uprising. And also checking on the country's road construction crews to make sure that the road-glyphs keeping Elder Gods happily slumbering away beneath the earth and not waking up and devouring us all are properly in place. I was recruited one day many years ago after I single-handedly apprehended a misbehaving poltergeist by grabbing it by the ear and sternly demanding to know what its mother would think of these shenanigans. The authorities were impressed.

Universe 2:  I'm a supervisor in a normal office job in Corporate America. I originally started there through a temp agency, did a good enough job to get hired on permanently, and successfully conned everybody into thinking that I am a responsible adult to the point where they promoted me into management. (The poor fools.) If you're having trouble getting hired on directly, temp agencies can be a good way to get your foot in the door somewhere.

I'll leave you to decide which universe we're actually living in. <_<

I write code. I wish I could write fiction instead, but one can make more moneys with bits than words. I went to school for four years, where they taught me to comply with authority and to write more efficient code, mostly the former but a good bit of the latter. Now I work, and do well for myself, but have a very long commute. 

Edited by Cosmé

Summarizing the great tips everyone has contributed:

• Ask friends and family to let you know about job opportunities - don't be shy! They can't help you if they don't know you're looking.
  • Temp agencies and job placement services can be a good way to get your "foot in the door" at companies.
  • When you see "Help Wanted" or "Now Hiring" signs, just fill out an application; attach your resume if you have one.
  • Take advantage of free resources like your library might have, for help with resumes, interviewing, etc.
  • (New - just thought of this one) Find out if there are "job seekers" groups in your area and go to a meeting - they're usually free, and you can pick up great tips and leads for your local area

Also, I forgot to say what I do for my job: I'm an instructional designer - that's a writer who creates training materials for the people who work at a given company, teaching them how to do their job. Typically you need a college degree to get into my field; it's not something that people learn to do on-the-job.

I work at a vet clinic, kenneling dogs.

For finding the job, or any job, I asked around. My former job at Papa Murphy's I got from a friend who was already working there; they needed someone else and she put in a good word for me. For the vet clinic, I already had extensive experience working with dogs and cats at a shelter, not to mention my work with raptors intrigued my boss enough to get an interview.

Pretty much, apply everywhere you possibly can. It took me months to get my current job, but I applied at every vet clinic within ten miles of my house, some even twice. Its a serious commitment and I know it can get discouraging when people don't call you back but keep at it.

I'm a self-employed Illustrator/Designer/Cartoonist.

I went to college and studied Illustration, but had a long line of semi-crappy to crappy jobs. Most entry level jobs are lessons in humility, but it's a good lesson. You can always try to do a good job, and if you work ethically and focus on the quality of your work things will work out for you.

I got my first real job doing technical illustrations for computer books through a specialized job placement agency, I know that a lot of people like networking to get a job, but if that's not your cup of tea, the other route to a job that you like is doing high quality work and being a decent human being.

Like @old aggie said, not having a job can be frightening, and the period of sustained rejection that you have to go through while looking for a job can be discouraging, but just keep looking, do go work and the rest will follow.

One thing to consider too, if you don't currently have a college degree, would be to go to community college while you look for work. You can find lots of jobs with flexible schedules that you can adapt around your college commitments, and getting your prerequisites out of the way at a community college will let you save lots of money.

Best of luck @Olenska!

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

I’m currently working in a kid’s retail store (they were applying and I handed in my CV. I chatted up one of the other workers and we had a nice conversation. What I didn’t know is that she reccomended my CV to the manager and I got the job) and I also have a job at a synagogue. (My old friend who is in charge of the children’s service offered that one to me)

I hope to go to nursing school this year and eventually do a medical degree too

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I work in heritage and grants administration. I got into it by getting tons (and by tons I mean buckets of) experience and by firing off many, many applications. I lost count of the number of applications I put in and interviews I went to until I finally scored a full-time gig. I came close to giving up and sticking to retail a few times but I'm so glad I kept endured, because I love my job. It just takes a lot of time and commitment to find that special role :)

On 1/12/2018 at 4:42 AM, Mestiv said:

What language do you do most of your work in?

I'm a shift leader at a fast food place. I applied at the end of my junior year, when the summer was starting and they needed more employees. I just walked in, asked for an application because they had a help wanted sign up, and filled it out. Once hired I put in more hours than most and eventually trained in every position, and at about 8 months in I got the promotion to shift leader. I'm now fourth in seniority among all evening workers, so I can get basically as many hours as I want at the times I want.