Quick Fix Game 29: Passionate Rationalism

TheMightyLopen

Wilson looked up towards the man with the puppy dog eyes. Those eyes were why she had fallen for him in the first place. They were asking for her love. All she could do for eyes like those was let them down. She always let others down, she kept making excuses and weaving webs of lies just to keep from disappointing them. Wilson looked back to her whiskey, following the swirling motion of the liquid with her pupils, trying to think of an appropriate answer.

She looked back to her former lover, answer stuck in her throat. She took a swig of ale to loosen it.

"Look, Val, you don't want to ask that question, not right now, probably not ever. There are . . . reasons that keep us apart, things that made me leave you in the first place. If you want me to sleep with you, fine, you're a great looking guy, but WE can't be together. I can't love you."

Every word stung, it was like trying to regurgitate rocks. Of course she still had feelings for him, but he would never understand. How could he? He was Valens, he didn't see problems, just what he wanted that lies beyond those problems.

"Sit, have a drink. I'm just watching for suspicious behavior, so feel free to join me."

With that, Wilson turned back towards the rest of the crowd, scanning the rest of the rioters and soothers, pondering their intentions, waiting for Val's response.

"You drink here?" Valens asked, trying to sound casual as he slid into a seat next to Wilson, but maintaining a polite distance. "That rust can strip paint, you know." He signalled, nevertheless, for a drink. To be fair, there were actually good wines and whiskeys to be had here--Breeze would never stand for anything less--but Valens never bothered paying for them. So he was left with something nominally called alcohol, that seared its way down his throat, and tasted like something he'd clean the gutters with.

Lord Ruler, what was this power beyond Allomancy, that drew one person to another? He felt it, that hook in his heart, tugging at his gut. The physical attraction had always been there, of course, but they'd burned hard and fast and then guttered and died out altogether. They'd gotten back together, once or twice more, but they'd always fallen out again. And shouldn't he know better by now? Roark would've said so. It wasn't good, wasn't healthy. You needed more than just physical attraction, to make a relationship work, and Valens wondered--not for the first time--how they had gotten to this point.

One of the servers brought over his drink, and Valens drank, hard and fast, but still he coughed and spluttered. He told himself it was a matter of getting used to it, but the first plunge always hurt the most. In more ways than one.

He remembered, though. Strange how he could remember the!joy!leaping within his chest, once. Now he felt--he didn't feel unhappy, Valens thought. Or maybe this form of pain was something ubiquitous. There were songs, and songs, and poems, and ballads and ten-boxing plays, all devoted to the suffering one heart caused another. His was just another story among so many. Who would mourn its ending?

"Lots of people in tonight," he added, since Wilson wasn't saying anything. "Breeze must've called a general meeting. Don't think I've heard from Sabine though. Have you?"

Valens coughing up his drink brought the tiniest of smirks to Wilson's lips. Serves him right for trying to drown his feelings. There was no way to kill your feelings off completely, she knew that, but she figured he would too by now, seeing how many times they had been together.

"I don't think I need to. Not yet at least. You should know as well as I do that soothers and rioters read people well. Remember back when we pulled that scam on the married couple and pretended to give them couples counseling? Their individual affairs were written all over their faces and they didn't even notice!" She had found it hilarious at the time, and she remembered how effective of a team her and Val were.

Wilson's face turned from jovial reminiscing to somber. "But I do agree that their silence is disturbing. I'm surprised more people aren't jumping up and down at the chance to prove themselves to Breeze. I just think we can't be hasty and try to put any innocent lives on the line just yet. We need the crew intact for the next jobs."

Merb wasing of the thinking. The actions of the take were not doing. Not open with the hearing and seeing. He did a consider of the action, and was of the decide.

While others are of the naming and watching, I will be of the same. Of stopping intruders with the naming. It will be of the assisting the find of Obligators. Merb wasing of the considering his thoughts more, and finished the decide.

He wasing the walk of the table with four seating. “My opinion ising that Pestis does the infiltrate. Is a Soother, the other of (my) Rioting. If the suspicion of calling is there, I will be of the joining.”

I hope no one caught any of my mistakes in there, that was pretty bad Street...

OOC: I’m voting on Pestis, but can’t color my text right now; I’ll edit it later. Also, my reason for voting is as baseless as the RP makes it out to be. It’s some sort of poke vote.

Edited by Walin
Added the color for the vote

Not gonna lie, with all this amazing roleplay I feel like Vin at her first High society Ball but I will try.

The room was starting to fill up as Monmet watched. It was unusual as the crew usually worked in small groups, unless it was a big job. But given the new they had all received it wasn't surprising to him, we had to find these plants fast otherwise they would be killed. So Monmet observed, his back against the wall, and tried to read the interactions.

Valens and Wilson were drinking together with soft but serious conversation, Monmet could never keep track whether they were on or off right now but it was nothing suspicious about it for now.

Mr T. Foil didn't waste anytime pointing out that Cactus's name was apparently based off a prickly plant. Monmet had never seen or heard of such a plant, and cactus seemed to take offense at the reasoning of the accusation which seemed unusual to Monmet.

There was a figure in one of the corners of the room, Arinian seemed to be watching the room but especially Mr T. Foil. Was he intimidated by him? Just wary? It was hard to get a read on his emotions.

Jax, what was there to say about Jax. He seemed to be a touch broken in the head, and tonight seemed like a bad night for him.

Merb seemed to consider things for a while before he spoke out to the crowd. The sound of Street talk crinkled Monmets forehead in concentration, interpreting this did not come naturally to him. But he thought he was in agreement with Merb that now was a time of action because inaction was certain death.

That being said merb and mac both seemed to think that Pestis was a plant. He hadn't even seen Pestis show up yet, did they know something he didn't from out on a mission?

Even with all the people in the bar there was still people missing that he expected by now. Steeldancer, Gio, and Sabine came to mind right away. Perhaps the ministry already had them? Or were they possibly reporting that we were supiscious of plants now and that was making them arrive later than most.

Monmet decided he need more information. He chose a chair next to merb and took a seat at the table. "What do you know Merb?" Monmet said in his gravelly voice.

Why is everybody doing all this RP? Why can't I come up with something to do too?

I'm going to go down in activity for the next 2 days, a million things are happening, so I'll be able to post but probably won't be able to contribute much until I finally get done with all my stuff. 

I think I may be busy the next few days as well, but I'm not really sure. I never keep track of my schedule real well, but be forewarned that there will probably be less "High Imperial" rp for a cycle or two.

Merb wasing of the talk to Monmet. "The put-ins of the obligators may be of lowers. Being of the enter is helping. But also, uppers can be of the scare or bribe. I wasing of the taking action, calling out Pestis. I having not the information you are of the wanting. All I can say, is--er--be of the watching. sickly prickly wasing of the doing similar, when he voted me. Until more information is of the coming, and talking is with the happen, not other things to do."

Rusts, that was bad--I musting not be of the stop, or the others will be of the suspicion, and of voting!

Merb wasing of the walk outside. He had the need of hiding, to be of avoiding learning. The others would see him, and learn wrongs and be of the vote on him.

4 hours ago, Kasimir said:

"You drink here?" Valens asked, trying to sound casual as he slid into a seat next to Wilson, but maintaining a polite distance. "That rust can strip paint, you know." He signalled, nevertheless, for a drink. To be fair, there were actually good wines and whiskeys to be had here--Breeze would never stand for anything less--but Valens never bothered paying for them. So he was left with something nominally called alcohol, that seared its way down his throat, and tasted like something he'd clean the gutters with.

Lord Ruler, what was this power beyond Allomancy, that drew one person to another? He felt it, that hook in his heart, tugging at his gut. The physical attraction had always been there, of course, but they'd burned hard and fast and then guttered and died out altogether. They'd gotten back together, once or twice more, but they'd always fallen out again. And shouldn't he know better by now? Roark would've said so. It wasn't good, wasn't healthy. You needed more than just physical attraction, to make a relationship work, and Valens wondered--not for the first time--how they had gotten to this point.

One of the servers brought over his drink, and Valens drank, hard and fast, but still he coughed and spluttered. He told himself it was a matter of getting used to it, but the first plunge always hurt the most. In more ways than one.

He remembered, though. Strange how he could remember the!joy!leaping within his chest, once. Now he felt--he didn't feel unhappy, Valens thought. Or maybe this form of pain was something ubiquitous. There were songs, and songs, and poems, and ballads and ten-boxing plays, all devoted to the suffering one heart caused another. His was just another story among so many. Who would mourn its ending?

"Lots of people in tonight," he added, since Wilson wasn't saying anything. "Breeze must've called a general meeting. Don't think I've heard from Sabine though. Have you?"

Sabine smiled softly as she poured more alcohol into the empty cups. "Simpletons see what they want to see, not what is there."  She muttered to herself as she picked up another empty glass, and wiped it with her rag. Shining now, it reflected her face, covered in patches of ash, over a coat of darker skin covered paint. Her hair was tied up in a bun instead of free flowing. "Seeing is in the eyes, not the mouth. Surely men of such wiseness should know this."

She ducked down under the counter, and grabbed the bottles in the back. Stuff that Breeze reserved for greasing clients and marks both. "Sultan's finest, vintage." She whispered.

She poured the drink into two glasses, and set them on the platter. "Sir and ma'am," she projected normally so that valens and Wilson would hear her. "Something more to your liking, sent by Mr. T foil.". Smirking, she winked at Valens.

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Why is everybody doing all this RP? Why can't I come up with something to do too?

I'm going to go down in activity for the next 2 days, a million things are happening, so I'll be able to post but probably won't be able to contribute much until I finally get done with all my stuff. 

Just RP whatever you are doing in real life, should be a blast to enjoy.

Lopen was sitting down, furiously attempting to come up with something to write. Everyone was expecting the next part of his saga about murders, and the attempted way to solve him, but he just couldn't find the words. The person that he had helping him with his last book was busy being a character in this one, so no help from there. 

Lopen decided that he needed some way to encourage himself to do a better writeup, so naturally he put himself into the story so that he could risk killing himself which was not fun.

The only problem with this, was that Lopen of Storyville and Lopen of Writership were two very different people. And one of them wanted the other one dead. So, naturally, he voted to kill off the Author. TheMightyLopen.

Luckily, his character attempting to kill him, before it even became part of the story, affected the begging of the story, and allowed Lopen to begin to write, and he wrote a half decent begging part of the story. Yay!

She was watching him.  Sabine was what she called herself but he knew better.  He knew what she really was.  She was one of the eyes that watched his every move.  Always watching, never blinking.

She was watching him now.  Waiting for him to move.  But he wasn't going to give her that/  No, she wanted him to react to her giving away one of his prized bottles but he wasn't going to.  No, no, no, no, no.  He knew what she wanted and wasn't going to give it to her.

Valens sighed and accepted the wineglass, knocking it back for courage. "Thank you, Sabine," he murmured, tiredly. It had been a terribly long night, and all in all, he wanted nothing more than to take his leave.

Still, before that, he had one last task. He clambered up onto his chair, balancing carefully--the chair had a shaky leg--and cupped his hands over his mouth. "May I have your attention please?"

He admitted: he cheated, flaring zinc in order to stoke their interest. They would be feeling curiosity, of course. Valens yanked--hard. There was no finesse to it; no subtlety, no grace. They all knew what he was doing. But for the moment, he had their attention. "I am leaving," said Valens. "For the night. However, there is one thing you might want to consider."

He drew in a deep breath. "We should be careful of aired suspicions. Know that as Breeze has already informed us, there may be many Ministry plants among us." His eyes swept across the room, moving from familiar face to familiar face. "Each of us has a voice. To be sure, for those of us who have only voiced one suspicion, this is not a difficulty. Any chance that our suspect will be dragged to face Breeze is relatively small. But. Remember that if we do not find a clear, predominant suspect, then each of the suspects we have indicated thus far will face an increased chance [OOC: 30%] of death."

"I do not presume to tell you what to do with your expressed suspicions. All I counsel is that we either withdraw our suspects, or that we refrain from a tie. A tie simply means that more than one of us will be dragged to face Breeze and we all know what Breeze is likely to do with traitors. I myself am withdrawing my suspicions from Sabine for the time being. I do not think I can last much longer without sleep. Thank you, all, and have a good night."

He hopped off the chair, and left.

Edited brass to zinc as my brain derped on what the Rioter's metal is supposed to be.

Edited by Kasimir

11 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

He admitted: he cheated, flaring zinc in order to stoke their interest. They would be feeling curiosity, of course. Valens yanked--hard. There was no finesse to it; no subtlety, no grace. They all knew what he was doing.

He felt a large pull on his emotions!  Shock ran though him.

Impossible!  I learnt their secret!  They can't pull my thoughts anymore!

They knew.  Somehow they knew.  They knew he knew.  But did they know that he knew that they knew?

Updated vote count:

Merb(1)Sickly Prickly

Cactus(1)Mr T. Foil

Pestis(2)Mac,Merb

Mr T. Foil(1)Sabine

So far everyone except @Pestis the Spider and @GreenRover have shown up. There are likely a couple of vote manipulators out there, and a single soothed vote would give four players a ~ 36.6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666% chance of dying. Pestis has not been on the Shard since Wednesday, so its possible he won't show up at all.

3 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

There are likely a couple of vote manipulators out there, and a single soothed vote would give four players a ~ 36.6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666% chance of dying.

Life is risk, risk is life.  To live is to gamble with death.

Edit:  Also, your vote count is wrong.  You can't trickses us.  Oh no, we are on to you.

33 minutes ago, Alvron said:

She was watching him.  Sabine was what she called herself but he knew better.  He knew what she really was.  She was one of the eyes that watched his every move.  Always watching, never blinking.

She was watching him now.  Waiting for him to move.  But he wasn't going to give her that/  No, she wanted him to react to her giving away one of his prized bottles but he wasn't going to.  No, no, no, no, no.  He knew what she wanted and wasn't going to give it to her.

Shame that neither mr. T foil not Valens had reacted. Small actions begat small chaos, and the plants would only blossom in big chaos. So what else could she do to spook the crowd?

Sir T Foil finnaly reacted, opening his lips and hissing out

2 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Life is risk, risk is life.  To live is to gamble with death.

Smart man. Since people we worried about multiple people dying, encouraging that would encourage rashness of action. "Say, mr t. Suppose you're right about that Cactus feller being a plant. Suppose we could kill two of them.for the price of one?"

27 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Edit:  Also, your vote count is wrong.  You can't trickses us.  Oh no, we are on to you.

What was wrong with my vote count? Valens retracted their vote on Sabine and I don't think the GM can be lynched in this game. 

It's unlikely that I'll be able to come back before rollover, so if I get lynched, this is it.

16 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

What was wrong with my vote count?

You would like that wouldn't you.  You want me to point out that you missed Monmet accusing Gio but I'm not going to.  You can't trick me that easily.

2 hours ago, Droughtbringer said:

Just RP whatever you are doing in real life, should be a blast to enjoy.

Lopen was sitting down, furiously attempting to come up with something to write. Everyone was expecting the next part of his saga about murders, and the attempted way to solve him, but he just couldn't find the words. The person that he had helping him with his last book was busy being a character in this one, so no help from there. 

Lopen decided that he needed some way to encourage himself to do a better writeup, so naturally he put himself into the story so that he could risk killing himself which was not fun.

The only problem with this, was that Lopen of Storyville and Lopen of Writership were two very different people. And one of them wanted the other one dead. So, naturally, he voted to kill off the Author. TheMightyLopen.

Luckily, his character attempting to kill him, before it even became part of the story, affected the begging of the story, and allowed Lopen to begin to write, and he wrote a half decent begging part of the story. Yay!

Ok then. 

Steel scanned groceries. Rioting their hunger to make them buy more food. 

"FEED, YOU FOOLS, AND PAY ME FOR YOUR FOOD!"

Also, merb

Edited by Steeldancer

Er, GreenRover can’t reply right now. His phone is out of batteries, and will probably be until the end of the day. I’m on mobile again, and can’t color my text. Pretend this is blue.

In light of this, I’m removing my vote on Pestis because I think they may be unable to even see my vote on them. Pretend that was green right there. RP:

Merb wasing of the walking. He had seen someone exit the meeting room—er, I was of the seeing someone being of leave the room. They had been of the ask, and Merb answered in the questioning. They had been of the arrive late to the room. They also were of the staying, after Merb had done the leaving.

The person was now of the knowing the vote tally. They were also of the telling the new voters, while the after of Merb left.

Two votes. This is serious. I should return, and defend myself. How will I be of the convince?

Cycle Two

Sabine settled on the roof of a tavern and watched the streets below, waiting for her target to appear. She knew they frequented this location, so she was sure they'd show up eventually. She'd been watching them, and had decided to confront them alone. She had a way of getting people to tell her whatever it was she wanted to know.

The mists had just begun to come out when she heard footsteps across the street. Finally, she thought. As she began to make her way down from the roof, a hand went over her mouth and a dagger went into her back. Sabine tried to twist away, to at least see the face of her killer, but she lost her footing and fell to the street. As her consciousness faded, all she could see of the tavern's roof was a swirling mist.

------------------------------

"Sabine has been murdered and you all can't decide who you think is a spy?!" Breeze growled. "The traitors aren't being coy now that they're exposed, and neither should you! I expect a much more decisive result tomorrow!" he said as he slammed the door on his way out of the meeting room.

Joe/Sabine was killed by the eliminators! They were a Passion Rioter!
No one was lynched!

Vote tally:

Walin/Merb(2): guava, Steeldancer
Devotary/Cactus(2): Alvron, Joe
Pestis(1): Mac
livinglegend/Gio(1): Monmet

Player Pairs:

Kasimir - Devotary

This Cycle will end at:

gre_1516500000.png

Player list:

Spoiler

1. Jax Sangrin Lekal(Darkness)
2. Mac(MacThorstenson)
3. Lopen(Drought)
4. Cactus(Devotary)
5. Maybe Merb(Walin)
6. Sabine Seidel(Joe) Passion Rioter
7. Pestis(Pestis)
8. Steeldancer(Steeldancer)
9. Gio(livinglegend)
10. Nils(Kynedath)
11. Sickly Prickly(Guava)
12. Valens(Kasimir)
13. Monmet(MonsterMetroid)
14. Arinian(Arinian)
15. Farron(GreenRover)
16. Mr T. Foil(Alvron)

Rioters - Darkness, Walin, Joe, Steeldancer, Kasimir, MonsterMetroid, GreenRover
Soothers - Mac, Drought, Devotary, Pestis, livinglegend, Kynedath, gauva, Arinian, Alvron

Edited by TheMightyLopen

I feel I shouldn't be using Wilson's name for the purposes of my own character, so with the GM's approval I am going to change my RP name to Nils. The character will remain the same, just the name will change. Sorry if this causes any confusion.

47 minutes ago, Kynedath said:

I feel I shouldn't be using Wilson's name for the purposes of my own character, so with the GM's approval I am going to change my RP name to Nils. The character will remain the same, just the name will change. Sorry if this causes any confusion.

Approved and changed.

36 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Does that mean I can rename my character nu-Wilson?

No. :P