Quick Fix Game 29: Passionate Rationalism

TheMightyLopen

Ok, pretty sure I can commit to this, at least as much as I've put in the other two games I've played so far.

Merb walked the city. His mission he had of the doing, but not knowing. He listened of lesser, to the uppers. It would scare, doing the wrong and having another of the failing. He would having to be of the guessing. Guessing would help Merb. He looked at an alleyway in the city streets and walked in, hoping to find his objective there.

It isn't of the helping, Merb, to think in Inquisitor. Try at the thinking of Street during the often.

At the time of the walking, Merb wasing the attacked. It almost did the losing of life. However, Merb wasing now of the knowing. Of the knowing of his doing in the city. The mission was in the clear. Think in Street, darn you! You'll alert enemies without that dialect.

10 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

I just have a few questions about anger rioters,

When Anger Rioters riot someone, do they get to choose who they attack, or will they attack whoever they were targeting for their original action. For example, if I riot an anger soother, will they attack whoever they were soothing that turn, or will I choose who they attack?

Also, if someone is attacked, will they be killed?

And finally, if they are killed, I assume that we will find out their alignment and role. Am I right in making that assumption?

They will attack whoever they were soothing that Turn.

Unless they're paired up with someone and get the 50% protection.

You are correct in that assumption.

9 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

From the phrasing, it seems like, if Bob is soothing Alex, and Carol the anger rioter targets Bob, then Bob will kill Alex. Carol doesn't know who Bob's target is, just that Bob will kill them.

Seems like it was designed to require two people to agree on who to kill if you want to get any use of it.

'Coutse, that is just my interpretation. It could be wrong.

That's my interpretation too. :P

8 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Also one final question, Would we know any details about the death? Will we know that Alex was killed because of the anger rioter?

Hmmm. I'll say yes, you will know it was because of an anger rioter. I'll just say something like "Alex was killed by an angry person" or something. xD Well, I'll try to make it clear in the write-up, but knowing me, I can't guarantee I'll have the write-ups up right away each Cycle.

8 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I do have a few remaining questions/comments about the Order of Actions. I hesitated to ask, since you mentioned you'd go over them the next day again, but then I figured I may as well ask since that might streamline your efforts to check your Stack. So, without further ado:

1. (This is, admittedly, not a Stack-related question.) In addition to the previous Anger Rioter questions, I'd like to check if an Anger-Rioter can affect someone who has not taken an action. [Note: I'm well aware I'm a pedant, so I'm asking because I don't just want to know that nothing special happens, I want to know if nothing simpliciter happens :P ]

1b. Is there an action limit? e.g. if I send in a pair order, can I still use my metal?
1c. Does a vote count as something that an Anger-Rioter can affect? What about a pair order?
1d. Here's a scenario I'd like a ruling on. Moash is an Anger Rioter. Kaladin is a Fear Soother targeting Dalinar. Kaladin has been Rioted by Moash. However, Navani has used Anger Soothing on Dalinar. Does this mean that Kaladin's Riot-induced action will not affect Dalinar? Or does Anger Soothing only affect Rioting used directly on the target, such that it only cancels out actual Riots of Kholinar Dalinar?

2. Stack-Related: I assume that all actions belonging to the same bracket take place simultaneously. This implies that Passion Soothing and Joy Rioting take place simultaneously. My interpretation of this would be that Passion Soothing cancels out the target's action, while Joy Rioting makes the target immune to further soothing efforts. Would this be a correct interpretation of the Stack? (I have the same question for Anger Soothing, basically.) More importantly, this would also seem to entail that Passion Soothing and Anger Soothing basically can only block Soothing/Rioting in Bracket 2. Again: is this a correct interpretation? If not, then I think Bracket 1 needs to be streamlined a bit more.

Side-comment: I can see a bit of weirdness springing from Bracket 2, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like one of those things you just have to stipulate, so I'm gonna ignore it. Given your clarification on the death probabilities for each voted player being independent, Bracket 3 looks good as it is.

3. Only caveat is that I assume when you say that (given 10 players), a player with 2 votes on them would have a base probability of 0.2 (for death), you are taking that out of the existing pool of players alive at the beginning of the round, in order to not complicate things further for yourself? :P (The corollary I want to ask about is whether this number is pegged to how many players the game begins with, or how many living players there are, such that if there are only 4 players in the game, then one vote now confers a base probability of 0.25 for death. Would that be correct?)

Thanks for dealing with these, Skaa Bro :P

1. No, they can't affect someone who hasn't taken an action.

1b. I'm not counting pairing up as an action exactly, so you could still send in an action. Otherwise, yes, there is a limit. The only thing that affects is the elim kill(whoever sends it in can't use their metal action).
1c. Votes and pairings don't count as actions.
1d. I hope this never happens... :P Ok, I see what you mean, and since Kaladin is actually the one getting Rioted, his attack of Dalinar would go through in that case. Now if you asked me what happens if Navani had used Joy Rioting on Dalinar, I'd have to admit that I'm not sure what would happen. >> Well, I think I'll rule that even Joy Rioting wouldn't stop Kaladin from attacking Dalinar, since I seriously doubt he'd thematically use Soothing to kill Dalinar at that point. :P

2. I think it needs to be streamlined more too. :/ I have to go right now, but I'll do my best to clear up the OoA when I get back(maybe 2 or 3 hours from now).

3. Sounds right. It's players alive at the beginning of the Cycle, not the start of the game.

3 hours ago, Arinian said:

@TheMightyLopenIf there will be not enough players you can count me in. Or if you will want 1 more player.

The more the merrier!

Okay, well, I'm back early, so here goes. @Kasimir

2. Back to answering this one. I put them as simultaneous since all of them are, in a way, roleblocks or redirects. They can still mess with each other, but I can't really say that one of them comes before the rest. As an example, if I said Passion Soothing came before the rest, then it would be unblockable by Joy Rioters, which would make the Joy Rioters much less effective, since they'd only be able to block 3 of the 4 Soothing abilities. For abilities that would block each other, such as a Passion Soother targeting an Anger Rioter who targeted the same Passion Soother, I'll flip a coin to decide whose action comes out on top(in case that isn't clear, here's what I'm thinking - Kaladin, a Passion Soother, targets Sadeas, who is an Anger Rioter, so Sadeas would be roleblocked. However, Sadeas targeted Kaladin, which would make Kaladin attack Sadeas instead of roleblocking him. I would flip a coin to see whose action wins out. If Kaladins wins out, Sadeas is roleblocked. If Sadeas wins out, Kaladin attacks Sadeas.).

I hope that explains how I'm going to deal with those 4 abilities when they target each other.

3 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Okay, well, I'm back early, so here goes. @Kasimir

2. Back to answering this one. I put them as simultaneous since all of them are, in a way, roleblocks or redirects. They can still mess with each other, but I can't really say that one of them comes before the rest. As an example, if I said Passion Soothing came before the rest, then it would be unblockable by Joy Rioters, which would make the Joy Rioters much less effective, since they'd only be able to block 3 of the 4 Soothing abilities. For abilities that would block each other, such as a Passion Soother targeting an Anger Rioter who targeted the same Passion Soother, I'll flip a coin to decide whose action comes out on top(in case that isn't clear, here's what I'm thinking - Kaladin, a Passion Soother, targets Sadeas, who is an Anger Rioter, so Sadeas would be roleblocked. However, Sadeas targeted Kaladin, which would make Kaladin attack Sadeas instead of roleblocking him. I would flip a coin to see whose action wins out. If Kaladins wins out, Sadeas is roleblocked. If Sadeas wins out, Kaladin attacks Sadeas.).

I hope that explains how I'm going to deal with those 4 abilities when they target each other.

Yep, absolutely. Cheers!

I've been lurking over my brother's shoulder for a year, and I think I'm ready to play an SE game. I'll sign up as Farron, a half-skaa that was caught outside in the mists, jumped in an open box to hide from any mistwraiths, and in the morning found himself in the back of a clothier's shop in Luthadel.

Everyone is a Soother or Rioter and no one is playing a Foil Hat Conspirator?  Very disappointing.  Guess it's up to me then.  Sign me up.  I would give you a name but you would like that wouldn't you?  You would love to know my name.  Oh you're good, but I'm not falling for it.  No, no, no, no.  I'm not falling for your tricks anymore.

They were all around him.  He could hear them whispering to him over and over.

He had tried to live a quiet life away from others but they always found him.  No matter where he went, they found him.

He could feel their eyes on him even now.  Watching.  Always watching, never blinking.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:13 PM, MonsterMetroid said:

I'll sign up as Monmet

3 hours ago, GreenRover said:

I've been lurking over my brother's shoulder for a year, and I think I'm ready to play an SE game. I'll sign up as Farron, a half-skaa that was caught outside in the mists, jumped in an open box to hide from any mistwraiths, and in the morning found himself in the back of a clothier's shop in Luthadel.

I believe that makes 3 first time players! Hope you all enjoy the game!

Signups are closing in about 5 minutes.

Actually 4, if you count me.

EDIT: one last question before the game begins. If there are 10 people, and each vote to lynch each other, everyone has a 10% chance of dying. What happens if they all die? or can only one person get lynched each round.

Edited by MacThorstenson

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

Actually 4, if you count me.

EDIT: one last question before the game begins. If there are 10 people, and each vote to lynch each other, everyone has a 10% chance of dying. What happens if they all die? or can only one person get lynched each round.

...Not sure why, but I thought you'd played before. :huh: Anyways, welcome then! :P

Everyone could die, so it would end in a tie. I may change this though, since ties aren't very fun, IMO.

I've got family over, so I'll be a little late getting things up. Sorry for the delay!

Cycle 1

"That's the third location in a week that's been compromised Breeze," Ham said. "There's no doubt about it. Someone in your group is working for the Steel Ministry. Either that, or something's going on that we don't understand. I've been considering a theory about a connection between emotional allomancers and the Ashmounts that..."

"Ham," Breeze interrupted. "If you don't shut up I'll have my crew, traitors and all, come over here and have you wishing you were in an Ashmount."

Ham huffed. "Well you don't have to get so upset. I was only trying to help."

"If you really want to help, go find me a nice bottle of wine. I've got enough problems to deal with without having to listen to your ridiculous theories." Breeze stated with a frown.

--------------------------------------------------

"I'm sure you have all heard the rumors by now," Breeze said as he scanned his crew of Soothers and Rioters. "I regret to inform you that they are true. There is a spy among us. A plant for the Steel Ministry." The crew shifted uneasily, taking quick glances at each other as they considered the news. "Maybe more than one, we're not sure. What I do know is that we cannot continue to put the rest of the crew in jeopardy, so until we have found out the traitors among you, only those I trust absolutely will be allowed to know details of our jobs and certain measures will have to be put in place for the rest of you to join us. I want you all to discuss who might be a plant, and bring them to me when you've decided. ...And bring a drink with them," he added under his breath.

The crew began to disperse and talk among themselves, a newfound distrust growing between them.

This Cycle will end at:

gra_1516413600.png

Player list:

Spoiler

1. Jax Sangrin Lekal(Darkness)
2. Mac(MacThorstenson)
3. Lopen(Drought)
4. Cactus(Devotary)
5. Maybe Merb(Walin)
6. Sabine Seidel(Joe)
7. Pestis(Pestis)
8. Steeldancer(Steeldancer)
9. Gio(livinglegend)
10. Wilson(Kynedath)
11. Sickly Prickly(Guava)
12. Valens(Kasimir)
13. Monmet(MonsterMetroid)
14. Arinian(Arinian)
15. Farron(GreenRover)
16. Mr T. Foil(Alvron)

Rioters - Darkness, Walin, Joe, Steeldancer, Kasimir, MonsterMetroid, GreenRover
Soothers - Mac, Drought, Devotary, Pestis, livinglegend, Kynedath, gauva, Arinian, Alvron

Edited by TheMightyLopen

38 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Cycle 1

[write-up goes here, something about Inquisitors have planted spies in Breeze's group of Soothers and Rioters and you have to figure out who they are...]

Sorry for the lack of a write-up. I just wanted to get this up as soon as possible so you all could start things. I'll add the write-up in as soon as I'm done with it(knowing me, it'll be a little while, since RP really isn't my forte :P).

This Cycle will end at:

gra_1516413600.png

Player list:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Jax Sangrin Lekal(Darkness)
2. Mac(MacThorstenson)
3. Lopen(Drought)
4. Cactus(Devotary)
5. Maybe Merb(Walin)
6. Sabine Seidel(Joe)
7. Pestis(Pestis)
8. Steeldancer(Steeldancer)
9. Gio(livinglegend)
10. Wilson(Kynedath)
11. Sickly Prickly(Guava)
12. Valens(Kasimir)
13. Monmet(MonsterMetroid)
14. Arinian(Arinian)
15. Farron(GreenRover)
16. Mr T. Foil(Alvron)

Almost makes you wish you had me as your co-GM again, huh? :D

• Alvron locked this topic

Merb wasing of the scare. The Obligators were of the infiltrating the organization. Are longer words abbrieviated in Street? I always forget--stop it! During the being of a spy, have thoughts of the speak of hiding. Is the help of speaking of pretending.

Breeze was of the planning, and giving lies to the lowers. Any lowers who could be of the sneaking. It was also of the possible that uppers could have been tempted by bribes, or threats from the Obligators. Dang it!

Perhaps the burn of metal would have the helping.

hmm. sickly prickly hasn't read mistborn, or played sanderson elimination before. prickly considers his options carefully.  prickly votes to lynch maybe merb because of his disrespectful comments to us lowers. *shakes head* there's simply no class around here anymore

Inquisition spies.

Valens almost, almost thought he could hear the sound of dice rolling in his head. You didn't play around, when the Lord Ruler's Inquisitors came by. But life was about risk, about rolls of the dice. You chose what you wanted, weighed the outcomes according to your desires.

He flipped a clip idly, toying with it. Thing was, he could've run, but the pragmatic part of Valens knew that wasn't going to work. Once the Inquisition had come to play, you were in for it. It took a very, very careful man to shake off an Inquisition spy, and if they were in the heart of Breeze's crew, then the Inquisition was far too close for comfort; they'd left far too many trails of information in their wake.

He took a deep breath. He could do this.

He could all but imagine what Roark would say, if Roark hadn't already given up and left.

He headed across the room to join Wilson.

It was amazing, Valens thought, how much power one person could have over another. You didn't always choose to give your heart to another. No wonder people spoke of theft, of stealing hearts.

And breaking them.

Such a fragile thing, really.

Your name in my heart, he remembered saying.

"I know it's been some time," Valens said, quietly, to Wilson. "And much has happened since then. Still... You were my first love, Wilson. You will always be. Will you be my last love?"

Edited for formatting.

Edited by Kasimir

Gio walked openly through Luthadel. Not one for hiding, he simply acted as though he belonged and generally people let him be. Of course, allomancy may have had a little to do with that. As he travelled back to his humble shack, he pondered over the emergency meeting Breeze had called. 

"Ministry Plants" Breeze had said. Among a rioting/soothing crew? These plants must have been good.

Gio kicked a rock as he walked along, leaving patterns in the ever growing ashpiles. He was crossing near the center of Luthadel where the streets were cleared slightly more often. He felt brave for doing so. Of course he didn't risk getting too close to the ministry. He'd heard rumors that obligators could smell allomancy on a man. He shuddered at the thought and pushed it to the back of his mind.

Gio tried instead to think of the upcoming job Breeze had the crew working on, but his mind kept wandering back to the members of the crew. "Who is the plant?"

---------------------------------------------

A couple thoughts: poke votes operate differently this game in that they present a real possibility of lynching the player. Since every vote can kill and there can be multiple lynched players per cycle we should consider removing poke votes toward the close of cycles to prevent killing several players at a time. Although, I suppose this will open up a way to sift through people who are inactive as well.

I also recommend that anger rioters find someone they trust to pair up with so they can collaborate on likely ministry plants as opposed to killing randomly.

Plants.  They were all talking about plants.  It must be code.  They knew he was near so they used codes so he wouldn't learn their plans.  But he was on to them.  He knew trees didn't hurt anyone.  They were too weak and spindly to even pose a risk of falling on someone.  So what were they talking about if not trees and grass?

But what if it wasn't code.  There was that one person that looked suspiciously like a prickly plant.  Cactus was it?  It must be code.  Surely.  Else why wouldn't they just get rid of the plantperson that was right in front of them?

6 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Almost makes you wish you had me as your co-GM again, huh? :D

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that. :P

I recently realized I forgot to put in the list of who's who in terms of Rioting or Soothing, so here you are:

Rioters - Darkness, Walin, Joe, Steeldancer, Kasimir, MonsterMetroid, GreenRover
Soothers - Mac, Drought, Devotary, Pestis, livinglegend, Kynedath, gauva, Arinian, Alvron

I will include this in the player list each Cycle.

Mac stood up after the meeting, leaning heavily on his cane, he wasn't sure what to think about this new development, on one hand, they could all be killed or tortured, on the other hand, he could... uh, never mind. there was no upside for an old baker in the scenario. If these guys die, then his entire customer base is gone. He wheezes as walked into the bar, "I have concluded, that this stinks," He muttered to himself.

"That really is a brilliant observation, isn't it?" Mac turns and looks at look at man who spoke to him. Glaring at him he said, "Just thought I would clarify that so no one was confused,"

Because of the slight on his honor, Mac was sure that Pestis was the plant.

Cactus missed the deserts of the South. Life had been better there; a warm sun, no ashmounts, and definitely no skaa trying to kill Cactus for their name. Apparently, these skaa were hunting for some nobles with spikes in their eyes. Cactus had a lot of spikes, but none of them were in the eyes. That sounded painful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do people think about having everyone partnering up? It seems like the best way to prevent active players from being killed by the Inquisitors. We can't have pairs this cycle, but for next cycle we could give everyone that 50% chance to survive an attack.

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

What do people think about having everyone partnering up? It seems like the best way to prevent active players from being killed by the Inquisitors. We can't have pairs this cycle, but for next cycle we could give everyone that 50% chance to survive an attack.

Somehow, even while waiting for Wilson's response, Valens managed to turn to where Cactus had been addressing the room. "How about no?" he said, flatly.

I just had read rules and found that lynches absolutely random... and Alv plays this game. Can I concede? 

Also we have so many new players in this game it's cool!

Honestly I don't know what to do I'm pretty bad on early cycles of game and even more bad with d1 lynches... so I probably just gonna sit in this nice corner and look how you guys will murder each other :D