Quick Fix Game 29: Passionate Rationalism

TheMightyLopen

On 1/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, Steeldancer said:

Ok, I should be able to do this, so I will sign up as Drought. 

3 hours ago, livinglegend said:

Haha, guess this is my opportunity to be Joe (not in the bush) since you're committed to killing those two first. :P

I'll sign up!

Please don't sign up with another player's username. Signing up as Lopen or Wilson won't really make a difference since there's only one clear player in the game with that name, but signing up as someone else who's playing will make it confusing for me and other players when counting votes.

22 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Please don't sign up with another player's username. Signing up as Lopen or Wilson won't really make a difference since there's only one clear player in the game with that name, but signing up as someone else who's playing will make it confusing for me and other players when counting votes.

That's fair enough. I'll sign on as Gio. That should be more distinct but close enough for the little troll inside me to be satisfied.

6 hours ago, livinglegend said:

Haha, guess this is my opportunity to be Joe (not in the bush) since you're committed to killing those two first. :P

I'll sign up!

Nevermind, you just jumped the Queue.

5 hours ago, Kynedath said:

Ooo! Are we stealing each others' names? Can I sign up as Wilson?

And you're at number 4.

3 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Aww, now the queue is gone. Can I still kill them?

2 hours ago, guava said:

hey can i join? on the condition that i get to be called Cactus Maximus

Glad to have you Cactus Maximus! I will make sure to call you Cactus Maximus as much as possible. ;)

13 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Aww, now the queue is gone. Can I still kill them?

Feel free. Just don't forget about everyone else! I don't want anyone to miss out on being killed. :D

THERE'S ALREADY A CACTUS IN THIS GAME. Oh well, they're new so they get a pass for purposely creating confusion. :P

Edited by TheMightyLopen

1 hour ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Glad to have you Cactus Maximus! I will make sure to call you Cactus Maximus as much as possible. ;)

Feel free. Just don't forget about everyone else! I don't want anyone to miss out on being killed. :D

THERE'S ALREADY A CACTUS IN THIS GAME. Oh well, they're new so they get a pass for purposely creating confusion. :P

ah my bad. instead you can call me......... sickly prickly.

Everybody knew the dice were loaded. Everybody rolled with their fingers crossed.

Valens wasn't rolling dice, though he moodily rolled a clip over his knuckles and between his fingers. His beer sat in front of him, mostly untouched.

"Oh, come on," said Roark, who was on his fifth beer by now. "Sure, you bungled it up, but there're plenty of fish in the sea."

Valens just shot him a look, and carried on playing with the clip.

“You win some, you lose some.” Roark clapped him on the shoulder. “C’mon, there are better things to be doing than moping about in a hole like this.” People lost things in places like Kengold’s. If you were lucky, all you lost were your boxings. Valens knew someone who’d lost his liver in Kengold’s. Still, the alcohol was cheap, and harsh enough to peel paint, which entailed that it was good enough for Valens to drown some memories that didn’t bear carrying.

“I like it here.”

“Lord Ruler,” Roark muttered. “You’re wallowing.”

“Seems to me I’m entitled to some…” Valens flipped the coin, made it disappear down Roark’s left coat-pocket. “Wallowing.”

“There’s wallowing, and then there’s pathetic, and then there’s ‘we could turn this into one of those ten-boxing plays’,” retorted Roark. “You know ‘em, the sort of rust that only sells ‘cause they’ve packed the place with Soothers and Rioters.”

Valens sighed. “You’ve made your point.”

Finally. So let’s get out of this rusting place already, and—”

“Nah,” Valens said. “I’m staying. I think this place is starting to grow on me.” He produced another clip and began to fidget with it again.

Roark had a catalogue of sighs and expressions. This particular one, Valens recognised as a combination of ‘Valens-you’re-too-rusting-stubborn’ and ‘Valens-she-isn’t-worth-it’ and ‘Valens-being-your-friend-is-so-rusting-hard-sometimes.’

He knew that. But it didn’t make that little gnawing wyrm of hurt and shame go away. After all wasn’t there that Erikell who’d written that reason was the slave to the passions?

-

Too much RP for a sign-up? This one seems so sparse :/ Either way, Valens has love-life problems and figures this might be just the thing.

Edited for formatting + swapping a bit of background.

Edited by Kasimir

8 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

:o Kas! Signing up for Joe'smy game! Glad to see you(and you're RP ;)) again!

I pop by sometimes, Skaa Bro :P

For the record, could we get the Stack/Order of Actions? I have to confess, I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around some of the rules/interactions. (Maybe this means I should just play by RNGesus :P )

3 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I pop by sometimes, Skaa Bro :P

For the record, could we get the Stack/Order of Actions? I have to confess, I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around some of the rules/interactions. (Maybe this means I should just play by RNGesus :P )

I guess I don't pay enough attention to whose lurking about then. :P

Oh, right. I meant to do that earlier, but I was in a rush when I first posted signups and then I kept forgetting. Adding them now.

9 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Oh, right. I meant to do that earlier, but I was in a rush when I first posted signups and then I kept forgetting. Adding them now.

Ah, #GMwoes :P (Well, to be fair, I rarely pop by the SE subforums, so...unsurprising?)

Just a few more questions to table:

1. I'm assuming that death chances are pegged to each individual player, and as such, a lynch may kill several people at once. Would this be correct?
z.B. Adolin has 3 votes, Renarin has 3 votes, and Dadlinar has 2 votes. (Assume a total of 10 players.) So Dalinar has a 20% chance of dying, but Adolin and Renarin have 60% chances of dying each. (So it's not mutually exclusive.)

2. How long do pairs last for? If Adolin and Renarin send in orders to pair up during Cycle 1, I assume they're paired for Cycle 2. But do they need to re-send in orders to pair up with each other during Cycle 2, for the next cycle? Or is it taken as a 'default' that they will be together until one of them sends in an order to pair up with Dadlinar, and Dadlinar does the same?

3. If a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?

4. How many questions can I ask before someone notices I've stopped asking game-relevant stuff?

Just now, Kasimir said:

Ah, #GMwoes :P (Well, to be fair, I rarely pop by the SE subforums, so...unsurprising?)

Just a few more questions to table:

1. I'm assuming that death chances are pegged to each individual player, and as such, a lynch may kill several people at once. Would this be correct?
z.B. Adolin has 3 votes, Renarin has 3 votes, and Dadlinar has 2 votes. (Assume a total of 10 players.) So Dalinar has a 20% chance of dying, but Adolin and Renarin have 60% chances of dying each. (So it's not mutually exclusive.)

2. How long do pairs last for? If Adolin and Renarin send in orders to pair up during Cycle 1, I assume they're paired for Cycle 2. But do they need to re-send in orders to pair up with each other during Cycle 2, for the next cycle? Or is it taken as a 'default' that they will be together until one of them sends in an order to pair up with Dadlinar, and Dadlinar does the same?

3. If a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?

4. How many questions can I ask before someone notices I've stopped asking game-relevant stuff?

1. Correct.

2. Only 1 cycle, so they would need to re-send orders for the next Cycle if they still want to be paired up.

3. Yes. (As a GM, my word is final)

4. 3?

5. I think I just realized how many coins I'm gonna have to flip this game.

I just have a few questions about anger rioters,

When Anger Rioters riot someone, do they get to choose who they attack, or will they attack whoever they were targeting for their original action. For example, if I riot an anger soother, will they attack whoever they were soothing that turn, or will I choose who they attack?

Also, if someone is attacked, will they be killed?

And finally, if they are killed, I assume that we will find out their alignment and role. Am I right in making that assumption?

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

I just have a few questions about anger rioters,

When Anger Rioters riot someone, do they get to choose who they attack, or will they attack whoever they were targeting for their original action. For example, if I riot an anger soother, will they attack whoever they were soothing that turn, or will I choose who they attack?

Also, if someone is attacked, will they be killed?

And finally, if they are killed, I assume that we will find out their alignment and role. Am I right in making that assumption?

From the phrasing, it seems like, if Bob is soothing Alex, and Carol the anger rioter targets Bob, then Bob will kill Alex. Carol doesn't know who Bob's target is, just that Bob will kill them.

Seems like it was designed to require two people to agree on who to kill if you want to get any use of it.

'Coutse, that is just my interpretation. It could be wrong.

24 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

From the phrasing, it seems like, if Bob is soothing Alex, and Carol the anger rioter targets Bob, then Bob will kill Alex. Carol doesn't know who Bob's target is, just that Bob will kill them.

Seems like it was designed to require two people to agree on who to kill if you want to get any use of it.

Man, I actually thought it was a role-redirect rather than auto-turning actions into kills. Guess that teaches me to speed-read...

Edited: 6. Also, thanks, Skaa Bro, that's helpful :P 

Edited by Kasimir

45 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Also one final question, Would we know any details about the death? Will we know that Alex was killed because of the anger rioter?

I do have a few remaining questions/comments about the Order of Actions. I hesitated to ask, since you mentioned you'd go over them the next day again, but then I figured I may as well ask since that might streamline your efforts to check your Stack. So, without further ado:

1. (This is, admittedly, not a Stack-related question.) In addition to the previous Anger Rioter questions, I'd like to check if an Anger-Rioter can affect someone who has not taken an action. [Note: I'm well aware I'm a pedant, so I'm asking because I don't just want to know that nothing special happens, I want to know if nothing simpliciter happens :P ]

1b. Is there an action limit? e.g. if I send in a pair order, can I still use my metal?
1c. Does a vote count as something that an Anger-Rioter can affect? What about a pair order?
1d. Here's a scenario I'd like a ruling on. Moash is an Anger Rioter. Kaladin is a Fear Soother targeting Dalinar. Kaladin has been Rioted by Moash. However, Navani has used Anger Soothing on Dalinar. Does this mean that Kaladin's Riot-induced action will not affect Dalinar? Or does Anger Soothing only affect Rioting used directly on the target, such that it only cancels out actual Riots of Kholinar Dalinar?

2. Stack-Related: I assume that all actions belonging to the same bracket take place simultaneously. This implies that Passion Soothing and Joy Rioting take place simultaneously. My interpretation of this would be that Passion Soothing cancels out the target's action, while Joy Rioting makes the target immune to further soothing efforts. Would this be a correct interpretation of the Stack? (I have the same question for Anger Soothing, basically.) More importantly, this would also seem to entail that Passion Soothing and Anger Soothing basically can only block Soothing/Rioting in Bracket 2. Again: is this a correct interpretation? If not, then I think Bracket 1 needs to be streamlined a bit more.

Side-comment: I can see a bit of weirdness springing from Bracket 2, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like one of those things you just have to stipulate, so I'm gonna ignore it. Given your clarification on the death probabilities for each voted player being independent, Bracket 3 looks good as it is.

3. Only caveat is that I assume when you say that (given 10 players), a player with 2 votes on them would have a base probability of 0.2 (for death), you are taking that out of the existing pool of players alive at the beginning of the round, in order to not complicate things further for yourself? :P (The corollary I want to ask about is whether this number is pegged to how many players the game begins with, or how many living players there are, such that if there are only 4 players in the game, then one vote now confers a base probability of 0.25 for death. Would that be correct?)

Thanks for dealing with these, Skaa Bro :P

Edited by Kasimir