I'm New

rkae610

Hi there, I'm new and likely will someday look back at this posts with many regrets, including the one where I wrote this after 1 in the morning. I'm new to the whole forum thing and have never really done this before, so I probably look a little bit ridiculous right now, but I do love Brandon Sanderson's writing, so that's why I'm here.

I do have one question: Why do we call it "17th Shard?" I'm really just curious.

Thanks all!

Hello @rkae610, and welcome! Please accept an upvote and a (very delicous, if I might add) cookie fresh from the finest bakeries over here! 

We call this place the 17th shard per Brandon Sanderson's request! I don't think this is at all a spoiler about the name, but--

Spoiler

The 17th shard is a group of worldhoppers appearing throughout the cosmere in his books.

I hope you have a great time over here, and don't worry about looking ridiculous. We all do*!

*for any Sharders who thought they weren't ridiculous, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Edited by Maelstrom
Cookies

Welcome to the Shard, have an upvote. If you haven't done so already you should check out coppermind.net and wob.coppermind.net. Coppermind.net is the fan made wiki that holds all the known information about the lore, mythology and workings of Brandons book. The pages are detailed and numerous so it's a fun rabbit hole to get lost in. Wob.coppermind.net is Arcanum which is the database of all Brandons interviews and WoB's(Words of Brandon that he makes about his stories). Small disclaimer, Brandon has said all WoB's and answers to questions he's given are possibly subject to change until they appear in a book. 

Look forward to seeing you around!

On 1/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, Kered said:

Welcome to the Shard, have an upvote. If you haven't done so already you should check out coppermind.net and wob.coppermind.net. Coppermind.net is the fan made wiki that holds all the known information about the lore, mythology and workings of Brandons book. The pages are detailed and numerous so it's a fun rabbit hole to get lost in. Wob.coppermind.net is Arcanum which is the database of all Brandons interviews and WoB's(Words of Brandon that he makes about his stories). Small disclaimer, Brandon has said all WoB's and answers to questions he's given are possibly subject to change until they appear in a book. 

Look forward to seeing you around!

Thank you!

• 6 months later...

Welcome @rkae610! Your profile picture looks landscape and type of house looks exactly like the type that are found throughout the area I just moved to....Owasso, Ok. You don't have to answer if it makes you uncomfortable, but I think it would be cool to have another sharder in the area. Anyways thanks for joining!

11 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Welcome @rkae610! Your profile picture looks landscape and type of house looks exactly like the type that are found throughout the area I just moved to....Owasso, Ok. You don't have to answer if it makes you uncomfortable, but I think it would be cool to have another sharder in the area. Anyways thanks for joining!

Nah, that's in Utah. Sorry.