Alloy of Law Chapter 3 (Spoilers)

Adrienne

I didn't know it was a race! Somehow the last three chapters I've noticed posted right off the bat. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or cursed not to work some days :)

I think the most interesting point I saw here was the groundwork for the path. It seems a religion that requires an earring to be worn coupled with feeling as if someone is speaking to you during that prayer states a lot about Sazed/Harmony.

I also noticed that the family name of Vin's father was used. That means either he had other illegitimate children or Vin had cousins.

Okay, I got a good laugh out of the name "Augustin Tekiel." This is only funny if you are a part of the Mistborn RP, though. It's set a century before MB1, and there's a Great House named Deveaux. It's current lord is Augustin Deveaux, but in the events of the RP a Deveaux married a Tekiel.

Actually, Adrienne, Tekiel was a prominent Great House in the events of Mistborn. It fell, but that doesn't mean there weren't plenty of relatives. I always think of Houses as corporations, so Tevidian Tekiel wouldn't have needed to sire illegitimate children. Plus, aside from Tevidian, there would be the actual Lord Tekiel who deals with house operations.

It's interesting that there is still no mention of chromium or nicrosil. They must be undiscovered metals so far.

We get a mention of Faceless Immortals, which must be kandra. Makes sense, considering they have the spikes to hear Sazed.

Pathism is the most Sazed religion ever. But speaking of spikes, we have some things to discuss immediately. It's clear that Sazed is speaking to Wax directly. Wax doesn't totally believe that he's hearing God (which is an entertaining look at human thought, that's for sure) but we know what Sazed is doing. However, I have some questions.

These spikes are almost assuredly not Hemalurgically charged. We have few pieces of evidence of non-Hemalurgic spikes enabling the Shards to hear thoughts. At least, not solely Ruin. There are a very select few instances where Preservation may be talking to people in Well of Ascension, and Kelsier (with Preservation's power) can speak to Spook without a spike. But it's still interesting, because spikes primarily enhanced Ruin's power over someone because they were Hemalurgically charged. I don't think there is any evidence right now of an uncharged spike granting Shards greater ability to influence someone's mind. Perhaps the simple act of metal piercing the skin grants some weak effect?

Secondly, and much more importantly to the cosmere, is the fact that Sazed is reading Wax's thoughts. Spike or not, this did not happen in the original trilogy. Indeed, Ruin had Vin spiked much of the time and could not discern if Vin knew where the atium was or not. Ruin, by himself, cannot read minds, and I at least assumed that this held true for all Shards.

But here, Sazed is reading minds. This must be a result of some interaction with Ruin and Preservation, but still. Could Preservation read minds?

These spikes are almost assuredly not Hemalurgically charged. We have few pieces of evidence of non-Hemalurgic spikes enabling the Shards to hear thoughts. At least, not solely Ruin. There are a very select few instances where Preservation may be talking to people in Well of Ascension, and Kelsier (with Preservation's power) can speak to Spook without a spike. But it's still interesting, because spikes primarily enhanced Ruin's power over someone because they were Hemalurgically charged. I don't think there is any evidence right now of an uncharged spike granting Shards greater ability to influence someone's mind. Perhaps the simple act of metal piercing the skin grants some weak effect?
My first thought was that it might be something to do with the "Shards can power the metallic arts directly" thing, like Vin burning the mists instead of metal. Sazed might be able to give things Hemalurgic charges (Feruchemical too, though that raises questions about who could use the metalmind) by putting some of his own power into them.

My first thought was that it might be something to do with the "Shards can power the metallic arts directly" thing, like Vin burning the mists instead of metal. Sazed might be able to give things Hemalurgic charges (Feruchemical too, though that raises questions about who could use the metalmind) by putting some of his own power into them.

That's an interesting thought. I do believe the quote however says that it is easier for Ruin to fuel Allomancy when given through a spike, not that he can actually charge a spike:

Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the metallic arts. Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike. Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy. But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.

Of course, if they can fuel Feruchemy, I wonder if that means they could charge a metalmind.

I too do belive that the Faceless immortals refer to the kandra, however i remember reading something about the kandra now being forbidden to take human form. Or am i mistaken there?

Let me check the Brandonothology.

Indeed, you are right. I had forgotten that.

It isn't mentioned where all the Steel Inquisitors, Kandra, and Koloss went in the end. Do you feel that they were removed from the world and Sazed took all the lost souls to his better place?

Marsh survived. (He'll show up in the Mistborn sequel series.) The Kandra were restored, and have taken a vow to live only in animal bodies. There will never be any more of them, but they are functionally immortal. So you'll see them again. The Koloss who were in the cavern at the time survived, and were changed to become a race that breeds true, rather than Hemalurgic monsters.

Faceless immortals definitely fits what we know of Kandra. We know they still exist somewhere. Lore would tell the people of Wax's day that they did not have their own face. However, could they have broken a rule or could it be Wax's mind playing tricks on him? Some people see Elvis on trains.

Edited by Adrienne

Hmm Chaos is this the quote you found?

The Kandra were restored, and have taken a vow to live only in animal bodies.

So that means they can't live as humans? That doesn't mean they can't from time to time appear as such right?

Also I see that Kandra have a "direct line" to Sazed. I'm eyeballing this quote to think about later.

They are now some of the few people who can communicate directly with Sazed, who--like Ruin--can whisper to people most easily when they are connected to him via spikes.

I really need to put this in .mobi form and read it through. I'm amazed by the effort that went into this document.

Yes, that was the quote in there. I should've made that clearer.

The kandra could, I suppose, exist as True Bodies, but I doubt Sazed would approve of a kandra wearing another person's body, and certainly not the idea that kandras can take a human life. That aspect of the First Contract would appeal to Sazed very much, I'd imagine.

I personally am now a lot more curious about aluminum being able to block brass/zinc, on top of it being immune to pushing/pulling. I personally had figured it was immune to pushing and pulling b/c it is non-magnetic, and I always assumed that pushing/pulling was a manipulation of electromagnetic forces in the same vein that feruchemists can manipulate mass, and windrunners(?) in WoK can manipulated gravity. However, now aluminum obviously has much more power than we give it credit for. Can it be used in some way as a non-allomanticly fueled copper cloud? Does it have a potential greater power than we give it credit for?

One thing that I was thinking, that if simply surrounding you head with aluminum foil can block mental pushing and pulling, could you stop any metal from being pushed/pulled in the same way with just an aluminum coating?

I just assumed he could talk to Wax cause Wax believes in him (like Kel was able to talk to Spook cause of Spook's faith), and the spike is symbolic, although if it *was* a kandra that gave him the earring it's possible that Saze specifically wanted Wax to have an active spike for some reason and had her give him the earring.

Also lol at the aluminum foil hats!

Brandon might have changed some things since he made that statement back then.

Sounds like confirmation to me. Maybe the Kandra take human forms to act as Harmony's missionaries? Also, even if the spikes that are given to path followers aren't hemalurgically charged with allomancy/feruchemy, could they be charged like the Blessings of the kandra, or the 4 spikes in the old form of koloss? Do we know if the kandra spikes had to be made by killing a human?

I am not sure if it has been confirmed, but I remember a theory about the realmatic reasoning behind hemalurgy was that it steals part of the spirit realm identity of one person, and pins it to another. Is it possible that it could be used to create "spiritual links" with other people (in this case Sazed?)

So with all the theft of steel and aluminum + foodstuffs sounds to me like another rebelion is starting. and more unsettling, the kidnapping of possible Mistings, combined with crazy guy from first chapter. More Inquisitors maybe?

also im new here, and i hate grammer. so i murder it when i can.

Tillaume is definitely my favorite character. Brandon really nailed the demure, disapproving butler archetype.

It's beautifully fitting, in my mind, for Sazed to have turned the horror of Hemalurgy into a means of prayer.

Although I assume that old-fashioned Hemalurgy still exists - Ruin, although having an intrinsic knowledge of its workings, does not have direct control over it, yes? - and that we'll see villains making use of it soon or later.

Tillaume is definitely my favorite character. Brandon really nailed the demure, disapproving butler archetype.

It's beautifully fitting, in my mind, for Sazed to have turned the horror of Hemalurgy into a means of prayer.

Although I assume that old-fashioned Hemalurgy still exists - Ruin, although having an intrinsic knowledge of its workings, does not have direct control over it, yes? - and that we'll see villains making use of it soon or later.

Brandon said Hemalurgy does exist, but naturally, it's very hard to figure out.

Unrelated to that, I think I may have answered my own inconsistency with, at least, the reason why Sazed can speak to Wax.

In MB3 annotations, 64:

Spook was the only one in the crew he could speak to. That's because Spook truly has faith in Kelsier as a deity—which, for these few weeks between Preservation's death and the coming of the Hero of Ages, Kelsier is.

So there you have it, Wax is faithful and that makes it easier for Sazed to influence him.

Still doesn't explain the mind reading, though. Perhaps, due to Realmatic considerations, Sazed can't forcibly read your mind, but if you do it willingly, as one in prayer may do, he could.

Anyone else picture this:

1.jpg

when reading this?

“Your house needs you. Thousands of families rely upon you. They need your leadership and your guidance. You did not ask for this, I understand. But the mark of a great man is one who knows when to set aside the important things in order to accomplish the vital ones.”

The butler left, closing the door behind him.

Fell

Ha, Chaos agrees with me, Also Squaliior, yes the kandra spikes were made by killing a human, and also those kinds of spikes twist/alter the recipient worse then spikes stealing allomantic and feruchemical powers because they steal the deep fundamental aspects of the soul, or something.