[OB] The S.A Letters

Nohadon

Ok, Imma make this quick, the first letter is from hoid, no questions there, but i believe he is sending similar copies of the letter to the entire 16 shards, and frost.

Frost’s reply is the second letter, with his non-intervention policy.

I think that the third letter, (1st one found in oathbringer) is Ati’s response, remarking how nobles are fooled by people acting as beggars (you know. Like hoid did in mistborn) and how hostile the recipient is to Hoid, additionally, like Leras, he refers to hoid as Cephandrius.

I think the fourth letter is written by leras, saying that “I am surprised you found us, WE hid this place well.” (Meaning how preservation and ruin built scadrial as the only planet in the habitle zone)

I also think that the 5th letter is written by Harmony, completing the scadrial trilogy. Which is why he is new to godhood, and inquiring about Adonalsium and who hoid is.

19 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

Ok, Imma make this quick, the first letter is from hoid, no questions there, but i believe he is sending similar copies of the letter to the entire 16 shards, and frost.

Frost’s reply is the second letter, with his non-intervention policy.

I think that the third letter, (1st one found in oathbringer) is Ati’s response, remarking how nobles are fooled by people acting as beggars (you know. Like hoid did in mistborn) and how hostile the recipient is to Hoid, additionally, like Leras, he refers to hoid as Cephandrius.

I think the fourth letter is written by leras, saying that “I am surprised you found us, WE hid this place well.” (Meaning how preservation and ruin built scadrial as the only planet in the habitle zone)

I also think that the 5th letter is written by Harmony, completing the scadrial trilogy. Which is why he is new to godhood, and inquiring about Adonalsium and who hoid is.

Via WOBs and context we know the 3rd Letter is Edgli (Endowment) and the Fourth is Bavadin (Autonomy), the other three you are correct about.

Edited by The Sovereign

Autonomy:

Play/Pause

Yurisses [PENDING REVIEW]

Investiture on First of the Sun is associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, it is. That one is even closer associated with a Shard, the actual Investiture of the magic. Remember when I say Investiture, I mean matter, energy and magic. Sometimes the word Investiture just to the magic such as the Aviar and in that it is associated directly with one of the Shards...

Which one?

Patji is a Shard of Adonalsium. *silence*

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Sorry, can you say that again?

Patji is a Shard of Adonalsium

Aurimus [PENDING REVIEW]

Is that one of the Aviar?

No that is the island.

Island or islands?

The island but Patji is one of the islands.

It's a Shard?!

Yes, big asterisk! But yes.

Aurimus [PENDING REVIEW]

Shard as in equal or Shard as in a mass of Investiture?

As in one of the 16 Shards of Adonalsium is represented and involved in First of the Sun. In fact, one of the letters references First of the Sun in this *Indicates Oathbringer*

Sorry, I probably killed some theories on that one.

Yup, but by doing that you've confirmed some as well so it's fine!

Footnote: The asterisk Brandon is referencing is that Patji is an aspect of Autonomy.

Orem signing (Dec. 21, 2017)
#1 Share

Play/Pause

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Patji related at all to Autonomy?

Yes.

I'm having trouble finding the WOB for the first letter but here are some of the context clues:

"No good can come of two Shards settling in one location. It was agreed that we would not interfere with one another, and it disappoints me that so few of the Shards have kept to this original agreement."

This wouldn't make sense coming from a Shard who is on a Bi-Shardic world. We know via WOB that we had seen the world of the 1st letter, this narrows it down quite a bit, the only worlds we have seen that only have 1 Shard are Nalthis and Taldain.

The first letter cannot be Autonomy as the second letter clearly is. The references to 'Seeking the waters and facing our test' in the 2nd letter is a pretty clear reference to Patji. Also the reference to a new avatar forming on Obradai is a pretty clear reference to Autonomy as Brandon has confirmed more than once that Autonomy has many personalities/avatars/etc. 

Edited by The Sovereign

4 hours ago, RShara said:

Also, SA takes place at roughly the same time as Era 2 (Era 2 takes place in the gap or just after).  So Ruin/Preservation are already gone.

Also, the third letter seems to be to Harmony.

While obviously Hoid didn't send the same letter to all 16 shards (the "you old reptile" doesn't really work if he's not talking to a dragon), I'm confused about why he would have sent a letter to Autonomy, given that he says "You have accused me of perpetrating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin." Why would he lump them together when talking to Frost and then turn around and ask for his help? I understand that he thinks this is important but I still think it's weird that he would call attention to his "grudge" with Bavadin if he was going to put it aside anyway.

Frost does not have a Shard.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/117-boskone-54/#e1664

Questioner

We know that Hoid is really old. Is there anyone else around that same age who is not a Shardholder?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. He communicates with one of these people by a letter in one of them.

Questioner

*inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

Not very many, let’s say that.

Footnote: The person Brandon is referring to is the dragon Frost.

25 minutes ago, Meandering Monotreme said:

While obviously Hoid didn't send the same letter to all 16 shards (the "you old reptile" doesn't really work if he's not talking to a dragon), I'm confused about why he would have sent a letter to Autonomy, given that he says "You have accused me of perpetrating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin." Why would he lump them together when talking to Frost and then turn around and ask for his help? I understand that he thinks this is important but I still think it's weird that he would call attention to his "grudge" with Bavadin if he was going to put it aside anyway.

I think he sent it to one avatar of Autonomy, hoping that it was independent enough to make a decision by itself.

34 minutes ago, RShara said:

I think he sent it to one avatar of Autonomy, hoping that it was independent enough to make a decision by itself.

Right, that's fair; the letter says "you have spoken to one who cannot respond...Perhaps if you had approached the correct one of us..." That implies to me that Hoid tried to send it to a specific aspect, on reflection, but that he chose wrong (or maybe he chose correctly, but we don't have the context to know why yet).

1 hour ago, Cheezpoofs, The Insatiable said:

"the bearer of the first gem" ... I feel like this "gem" may contribute to hoid's relevance in the shattering. Especially since a shard is referring to him in that way, it must mean that he was given this gem before Adolnasium was splintered... just spitballing  here

Most people believe that the "First Gem" is reference to one of Hoid's aliases, Topaz. 

Aurimus [PENDING REVIEW]

When he says he's named after a rock that's a reference to Topaz?

Yes that's referencing the topaz. And the other thing that he references with... When he says he's named after words on a page that is not breaking the fourth wall... It's not even winking at it. Nope... It's quite literal. Yes, that is quite literal.

#

14 hours ago, Cheezpoofs, The Insatiable said:

"the bearer of the first gem" ... I feel like this "gem" may contribute to hoid's relevance in the shattering. Especially since a shard is referring to him in that way, it must mean that he was given this gem before Adolnasium was splintered... just spitballing  here

Peter weighed in on the subject back in 2015, when Frost mentioned "the gemstone" in his letter.

Botanica
Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead?[4]

What is this "gemstone"? Is it the black sphere that Gavilar gave Szeth? Or is it the Aether Sliver that appears in The Liar of Partinel?
Peter
It’s either the Aether, or the topaz that he used to wear. This is one of those things that will depend on how Brandon eventually plans to write the Dragonsteel series.

• Chaos locked this topic