I just finished reading Calamity and adored it (spoilers inside tag)

Matt O

I just did a "binge listen" of Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity via Audible.  As a result, I don't know how some names are spelled, so forgive me.

Last night, with my wife asleep next to me in bed, and the lights off, I sat upright in bed, my headphones on, listening to the final few chapters of 'Calamity'.  Tears rolled down my cheeks as the ending unfolded.  I kept whispering to myself "this book is so good, so good."  It is truly a masterpiece.  I never expected to enjoy a young adult series of books so much.  I think I actually like these more than Mistborn!  I felt so SAD that the story has to end!  The characters felt so real.  Their situations were so incredibly awesome.  The relationship between David and Megan... wow.

High points of each book listed below, obscured by spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Steelheart:

At the end of the book, Megan listening to the recording of David pouring out his heart to her as she died.  That was so awesome.  I may have shed a tear or two along with her.   At this point, I _needed_ their relationship to work out.  I immediately bought 'Firefight' on Audible, despite having no credits :)

Firefight:

Megan texting David while he is on the submarine with Prof, asking to talk.  Really bad timing :)

Megan unexpectedly being in the hidden Reckoner base, subsequently kissing David, and then intentionally not using her powers as she tries to make her relationship with him work as they wander around the city.  I kept wondering if she'd snap and try to kill him or if they could somehow make it work.

Calamity:

Megan and David in the height of the power, fighting Prof at the end (her suddenly mastering the mercury device, sorry don't know how it is spelled, her being able to bring things in from other realities, reload their weapons, him being able to match Prof with the tenser powers).  David finding out that his father is a hero.  David saving the space station from crashing into the earth (I really wish this scene was longer!!!!!!  I wanted to see him kick butt!)  David's father teaching David how to fly (hello?  this scene should've been longer too!!!!! I wanted to bask more in the awesomeness of the ending!!!!!!)

• 3 months later...

Agree with all of your points. I loved the character development and the interactions between them all.

I thought the relationship between. David and Megan was done well.

Spoiler

So well that in Steel heart when I thought they killed off Megan I was genuinely shocked and didn't know how the story would proceed without her.

• 2 weeks later...

This might seem like a really silly question, but you've read the 3 as I did - honestly, I didn't even know there was a book called Mitosis between Steelheart and Firefight, it just flowed really nicely from SH to FF - were you meant to read Mitosis/is it worth it, or is it a Reckoners 1.5? 

Anyway, that's an aside - it was an enjoyable book, tickling the old emotions here and there; its great to see how Sanderson can nail multiple types of fantasy!