The complete cosmere

Lorddenithal

Question

I'm looking for a complete list of ALL material (books, comics, ect...) in the cosmere. I've done some looking around and i thought i knew what i needed to know but i just barely found out about shadows of silence and its sequel. I hope this is the place to ask

Edited by Lorddenithal

8 answers to this question

Elantris, The Hope of Elantris* and The Emporor's soul*

Mistborn 1 - 6 plus Secret History*

Warbreaker (available free on Brandon's website.

Sixth of the Dusk*

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of hell*

White sand (GN, prose available through Brandon's newsletter) 

The Stormlight Archive + Edgedancer*

Feel like I'm forgetting something... 

* = complete short story/novella is in Arcanum Unbounded. 

In terms of published and canonical material, get all of the following books and you'll be set:

- Arcanum Unbounded (for all the short stories and the in-universe essays and the maps)

- Elantris (the 10th Anniversary Edition has an added epilogue plus a proper Ars Arcanum, along with fixes and supplimental material)

- The original Mistborn trilogy and the three novels of Era 2 that are currently out

- Warbreaker

- The three Stormlight Archive books currently out.

- The first volume (the second is almost out) of the White Sand graphic novel

For unpublished/noncanonical works, add the following:

- The prose version of White Sand, which you can get by signing up to Brandon's newsletter

- Altered Perceptions, an anthology which includes chapters from the Way of Kings Prime (also now available for free on Brandon's website)

- On the same note, the website has chapters from Dragonsteel Prime which show the origin of Bridge Four as a concept and give a look into Brandon's writing process.

- Again on the website, you can read the unpublished and unfinished Mythwalker, which incorporates elements that were later cannibalized into Way of Kings, the Mistborn series and most obviously Warbreaker.

- The finished but unpublished Aether of Night can be found right on the Seventeenth Shard, it too was cannibalized heavily (into Mistborn mainly) and isn't canon but will eventually be rewritten. Brandon mentioned in the last State of the Sanderson that its magic system is canonical even though the story isn't.

- Sample chapters from Mistborn Prime and The Final Empire Prime (two unpublished books that were combined to make Mistborn: The Final Empire) and The Liar of Partinel (Hoid's origin story) can be found on Brandon's website (links in this topic). He discourages fans from reading the latter because he really didn't like how it turned out and we know it's going to be essentially rewritten from the ground up before it's actually published.

And for all your Word of Brandon needs, there's Arcanum with a link right at the top of this page.

Oh, and here are the projects Brandon has mentioned that he's either working on or may work on in the future, spoil-tagged just for length.

Spoiler

- Two planned sequels to Elantris, starting around ten years after Elantris' ending.

- A planned sequel for Warbreaker tentatively titled Nightblood.

- The Lost Metal (the final book in Mistborn Era 2)

- Mistborn Eras 3 ('Modern') and 4 ('Sci-Fi) written as trilogies, with the possibility of stories set between Eras 2 and 3 and between 3 and 4 (he's mentioned the possibility of a 'Mistborn Cyberpunk' type story specifically) but these aren't confirmed as happening in the same way the two trilogies are confirmed.

- Additional Mistborn: Secret History stories.

- The remaining seven Stormlight Archive books. Brandon recently announced plans for another novella to come out some time before SA4, tentatively titled Wandersail.

- The Liar of Partinel and Dragonsteel, the prequel series that will show us Hoid's backstory, the Shattering of Adonalsium and everything in between. How many books is currently up in the air. Hoid's origin story is planned to be part of the Dragonsteel sequence but will probably not be named as such.

- One more volume of the White Sand graphic novel after the second is out. Brandon has ideas for additional stories set on Taldain but we don't know what format they might be in.

- Another story (planned to be a novel) set on Threnody.

- A novella taking place in Silverlight,

- A Sixth of the Dusk sequel may happen; Brandon recently revealed that he had a neat idea for one.

- The Silence Divine (title subject to change), a novella set on Ashyn.

- The mentioned rewrite of Aether of Night.

And that should be everything for now.

Edited by Weltall

On 1/9/2018 at 6:15 PM, Weltall said:

Oh, and here are the projects Brandon has mentioned that he's either working on or may work on in the future, spoil-tagged just for length.

Hide contents

- Two planned sequels to Elantris, starting around ten years after Elantris' ending.

- A planned sequel for Warbreaker tentatively titled Nightblood.

- The Lost Metal (the final book in Mistborn Era 2)

- Mistborn Eras 3 ('Modern') and 4 ('Sci-Fi) written as trilogies, with the possibility of stories set between Eras 2 and 3 and between 3 and 4 (he's mentioned the possibility of a 'Mistborn Cyberpunk' type story specifically) but these aren't confirmed as happening in the same way the two trilogies are confirmed.

- Additional Mistborn: Secret History stories.

- The remaining seven Stormlight Archive books. Brandon recently announced plans for another novella to come out some time before SA4, tentatively titled Wandersail.

- The Liar of Partinel and Dragonsteel, the prequel series that will show us Hoid's backstory, the Shattering of Adonalsium and everything in between. How many books is currently up in the air. Hoid's origin story is planned to be part of the Dragonsteel sequence but will probably not be named as such.

- One more volume of the White Sand graphic novel after the second is out. Brandon has ideas for additional stories set on Taldain but we don't know what format they might be in.

- Another story (planned to be a novel) set on Threnody.

- A novella taking place in Silverlight,

- A Sixth of the Dusk sequel may happen; Brandon recently revealed that he had a neat idea for one.

- The Silence Divine (title subject to change), a novella set on Ashyn.

- The mentioned rewrite of Aether of Night

I get way too excited just reading this list...Its comforting to know I'll have great, new reading material for the next 3 decades. (My wife also enjoys that she can just keep getting me Dragonsteel editions as presents for the rest of my life;)

54 minutes ago, coredumperror said:

What are these "Prime" novels? Are they like, pre-rewrite drafts of what eventually became the published novels?

They are novels he wrote before getting published that were rewritten or combined to make the final published book. Eg Way of Kings Prime is quite different to Way of Kings. He releases some chapters from the Prime novels on his website.

17 hours ago, coredumperror said:

What are these "Prime" novels? Are they like, pre-rewrite drafts of what eventually became the published novels?

Like Extesian said, they're earlier novels which in some way contributed to later (published) works but they aren't necessarily early drafts. The Way of Kings Prime is an early version of the book we now have but Mistborn Prime isn't. Here's a quick rundown of the 'Prime' works.

Mistborn Prime: A novel that has allomancy as a magic system (or a version of it at least) but not the story. Its prologue can be found on Brandon's site.

Final Empire Prime: A novel that has some of the story elements that became the Mistborn we know (early versions of Vin and the Lord Ruler) but not allomancy. It apparently did have proto-feruchemy. Two chapters from it can be found on the website. This and Mistborn Prime were combined to form Mistborn: The Final Empire.

The Way of Kings Prime: The first version of this work, which is much more recognizable as an early draft than the above two books are to their end result. Brandon has mentioned some of the differences, the most obvious is that Kaladin (then called Merin) had a very different story arc, which can be seen in the released excerpts. Other changes we've been told about include Jasnah and Taln having major roles and the Epilogue scene in WoK involving the latter was apparently the Prologue of WoK Prime. Surgebinding was also something different and there were far fewer spren. Shallan is noted to have been a character specially created for the revised work, replacing someone who didn't really work in the Prime version.

White Sand Prime: Brandon's first attempt to tell this story in prose form, along with a sequel called Lord Mastrell. The two were eventually rewritten and combined into White Sand (prose version).

Mythwalker: Aka 'Warbreaker Prime', it's a work Brandon never finished but you can read everything he did write on the website, and you'll probably see why he decided to drop it. Several elements from it were cannibalized for Way of Kings and Mistborn: The Final Empire, but its main contribution is that one of its plotlines (involving two princesses getting stuck in each other's stories) was taken and used as the basis for Warbreaker.

Dragonsteel Prime: By virtue of the work being slated for a complete rewrite before it's eventual publication, the existing version gets this designation even if it's 'Prime' to a work that doesn't yet exist. As I mentioned earlier, Brandon lifted the Shattered Plains setting and Bridge Four from this work when he rewrote Way of Kings and it's this segment that you can read on the website.