Vessels

Kered

Question

This may be a stupid question but I can't find any specific details about it. We know that if a Vessel dies, the Shard it was holding can live on and remain intact. Has it been stated if the reverse is possible? That a Shard can be splintered or shattered and the vessel can still survive? 

And if it hasn't been specifically stated, what's your guy's thoughts on the subject?  

4 answers to this question

As far as how? Who knows, but it is apparently possible. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/10/#e6587

Questioner

Can Shards be separated from their current holder--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Without [Splintering] the Shard or killing the person involved?

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible.

Questioner

It’s possible?

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible.

Questioner

Without either one of those <intents?>?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

In addition to that, we have several more explicit WoBs that a Vessel can willingly give up the power and won't die.

Questioner

Can holders of Shards give them up voluntarily? If so, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, a Vessel for a Shard of Adonalsium can give up their power if they wish.

Argent (paraphrased)

If Ati had somehow managed to give up Ruin and returned to being a regular person, would his mind have gradually reverted from its corruption by Ruin's intent, or would he always be determined to destroy?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Over time Ruin's influence would fade, but Ati would remain a Sliver, so there would be some permanent effects.

Calderis' WoB is a bit fuzzy on whether Brandon is addressing a Vessel being separated from the Shard by their own volition or being separated by some external influence (since the questioner left open some room there) but my guess is that it would depend on a number of circumstances. Is the Vessel's personality still mostly intact or have they been heavily warped by their Shard? What's splintering the Shard and why? Because I have to imagine Odium, the only entity currently known to be doing this, would take steps to ensure the Vessel dies. But we know that Shards can create splinters without any apparent harm to themselves/their Vessel (Endowment being the prime example) so it doesn't seem impossible that a larger-scale splintering could happen but in a way that either leaves the Vessel alive or at least gives them an opportunity to separate themselves from the Shard before the splintering kills them.

Edited by Weltall

We've seen it done before:

Spoiler

In M:SH we get more info about the effects of Leras basically sacrificing his mind to make Ati's prison. The shard itself, in efforts to preserve itself, adopted basic sapience and thought processes that were similar to Leras. Whether this effect is specific to the shard's intent or in general, i do not know.

A better example for that this is possible is also in Secret History (so, Spoilers ahead):

Spoiler

Kelsier took Preservation after Leras died, and let it go for Vin, without "dying completely", or go to the beyond. Maybe it had to do that he was not supposed to take it up (I don't remember how, but somehow he said it didn't feel right, tried to push him away... something like that?) But there we've actually seen somebody giving away a shard