Kings of the Wyld

Kered

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames was one of those books given to be by friend that sat on my bookshelf for a while. Picked up Sunday morning and it turned into one of those "Why did I wait so long to read this" moments. Truly an awesome book. A nice twist on the grimdark style and in-depth world. It's also hilarious which is sometimes hard to pull off with a darker book. It's around 450 pages with the second book coming out this year. Totally recommend that you pick it up. 

Essentially it's about a band of warriors that were once heroic and skilled. You know the types. But now they're old, retired and grumpy. Then something happens that they have to come out of retirement. And the book is them trying to re-catch their youth, complaining about having to re-catch in the first place and then bumble their way through. And the entire process is both hilarious and entrancing. I'm giving it an 8/10. Only down tick for me is that it feels over saturated with magical beasts/objects. You'll see what I mean about a chapter into the book. 

EDIT: Here's the actual backflap summary. 

"Clay Cooper and his band were once the best of the best -- the meanest, dirtiest, most feared crew of mercenaries this side of the Heartwyld. 

Their glory days long past, the mercs have grown apart and grown old, fat, drunk - or a combination of the three. Then an ex-bandmate turns up at Clay's door with a plea for help. His daughter Rose is trapped in a city besieged by an enemy one hundred thousand strong and hungry for blood. Rescuing Rose is the kind of mission that only the very brave or the very stupid would sign up for.

It's time to get the band back together for one last tour across the Wyld"

Edited by Kered

One of the funniest books I have ever read. Its one of those books that I could recommend to just about anyone (new or veteran fantasy reader) and feel like they would enjoy. Many of my favorite series I hesitate to recommend to others because they are not for everyone  (see Malazan). If someone was fairly new to fantasy I would recommend Mistborn (it gets mentioned over Stormlight because the original trilogy is completed and it's a tighter story), The Lies of Locke Lamora, First Law series and now Kings of the Wyld.

Edited by Ammanas

On 08/01/2018 at 5:38 PM, Ammanas said:

One of the funniest books I have ever read. Its one of those books that I could recommend to just about anyone (new or veteran fantasy reader) and feel like they would enjoy. Many of my favorite series I hesitate to recommend to others because they are not for everyone  (see Malazan). If someone was fairly new to fantasy I would recommend Mistborn (it gets mentioned over Stormlight because the original trilogy is completed and it's a tighter story), The Lies of Locke Lamora, First Law series and now Kings of the Wyld.

I agree. Most of my favorite fantasy series are big epics that take a lot of investment. I hesitate to recommend SA to people because it's different from what people expect from fantasy in terms of environment, setting, and sheer page count. My two "starter fantasy" series I recommend is the Inheritance Cycle and Mistborn. I found that those are the best series to get people acclimated to the fantasy genre. But now I'm adding Kings of the Wyld to the list.

I'm excited about the sequel. It's going to be about Gabe's daughter the Bloody Rose(name of book, as well).      

• 2 years later...