How does Hemalurgy apply to other magic systems?

Solace

Question

I have read on the Coppermind wiki that Hemalurgy could work to steal investitures from other planets. My question is more specific however. For example let say you wanted to steal Kaladin’s surgebinding capability. And let’s assume you knew the bind point and getting a Spren to follow you wasn’t a problem. Now my question is what metal would you use? Do we know? My theory is that you would use a gem spike and have to recharge it in a storm when it bled dry. But do we have any more information buried somewhere on this topic?

Edited by Solace

5 answers to this question

To steal surgebinding/a nahel bond you'd need to spike the surgebinding and their spren, it's a little tricker than regular stealing. 

James Powell

And were I minded to, could I kill Kaladin with a Hemalurgic spike and steal his Windrunning? (I don't want to kill Kaladin)

Brandon Sanderson

You can steal most things with Hemalugy, but Surgebindings are tricky because of the spren. Requires some non-standard workings.

Source

Since hemalurgy is one of the Metallic Arts like the other Scadrian magics you'd need a metal spike even though you're stealing something from another world.

Questioner (paraphrased)

If I wanted to Hemalurgically acquire a power from First of the Sun, which metal would the spike need to be?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

This is going to be pretty complicated, but several metals would work.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Would it involve Connection between the person being spiked and the bird?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Well it would be even harder than on Roshar, where you need to somehow spike the spren and also the Radiant. You would need to spike the bird and steal the power, but also spike the person and steal Connection.

Source

6 hours ago, Solace said:

Now my question is what metal would you use? Do we know?

To answer your question simply: No.
We still don't even know what metals we'd need to steal some of the Allomantic Powers.

6 hours ago, Solace said:

My theory is that you would use a gem spike and have to recharge it in a storm when it bled dry.

Two things. 1st) Fabrials don't lose the Spren they have trapped in them when they run out of Stormlight(afaik). Oh that recharge. Nevermind.
2nd) People are taking the second WoB that Agent34 posted as proof that spikes will always be metal. I'm also of that opinion(always have been), but it doesn't necessarily disprove your theory(via technicalities).

We know that a lot of the magic systems have similar powers(detecting Investiture with Alerter Fabrials or A-Bronze, the Yolish/Rosharan Lightweaving, etc..), so if Surgebinding had a method of stealing powers, it might use gemstones. For the purpose of Brandon's writing, he's probably gonna focus on Hemalurgy though.

Edited by The One Who Connects

9 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

To answer your question simply: No.
We still don't even know what metals we'd need to steal some of the Allomantic Powers.

With that said, I'm about 93.158583% sure that there was a WoB from a few years ago (although I can't find it for the life of me...) where Brandon confirmed that a Hemalurgic Spike made of Atium could be used to steal any attribute if you knew what you were doing.

I think it's important to point out this from here it's number two on the list.

Most of the magics can be hacked together in one way or another, but some are easier to interchange than others.

So I doubt there would be a need for a gem spike when hemalurgy will do just fine.

1 minute ago, The Sovereign said:

With that said, I'm about 93.158583% sure that there was a WoB from a few years ago (although I can't find it for the life of me...) where Brandon confirmed that a Hemalurgic Spike made of Atium could be used to steal any attribute if you knew what you were doing.

I actually think it's in the HoA Ars Arcanum. Either way, I agree. Atium can steal anything, but I was talking about what normal metal to use. We can steal 12/16 A-Powers and 16/16 F-Powers with the H-powers we currently know about.