Wax's Ancestors

PrincessMorpheus

2 hours ago, PrincessMorpheus said:

Are the names of Wax's parents mentioned? We know that he is a descendant of Breeze from his father's line.  Could he be a descendent of Demoux and Aslydin  through his mother's line? 

I honestly don't know the Wax's parents names but I will strongly disagree with the Demoux & Aslydin's part.
If if they were his ancestor too. That side of the family will be tained by the mixing genes and over centuries it would be mostly impossible for them to be able to gave offspring to a Feruchemist also, someone so important as Demoux will probably have a House if his bloodline progressed.

Wax's grandmother also see the mixing bloodline as an abomination and her attitude is shared among the Terrismen. I believe they will never made her a chief among them if she is one of such abomination

By the way, assuming a dinasty after Demoux will implicate they remained on Scadrial for decades and I believe Demoux's cameo in SA doesn't show him too old. 

Edited by Yata

Demoux and Aslydin are both members of the Seventeenth Shard and are worldhoppers so it's unlikely they've left behind children on Scadrial without being there to raise them. If they have children, they're probably on Silverlight.

21 minutes ago, PrincessMorpheus said:

It isn't that impossible actually. Their kids have either grown up and died or are worldhoppers. That doesn't cancel the possibility of Wax having descended from them.  

It's not strictly impossible...But is extremely unlikely for all the reasons I provided before.

Much more, I checked and I made a mistake, there is actually the Demoux's house and if they are truly Demoux descendants they have no link with Wax.

By the way, I don't understand why Demoux and Aslydin will have to keep secret their offsprings (because your hypotesis has sense only if nobody know that Wax's bloodline was related to them)

15 hours ago, Yata said:

By the way, assuming a dinasty after Demoux will implicate they remained on Scadrial for decades and I believe Demoux's cameo in SA doesn't show him too old. 

I'd just like to point out that, during his SA cameo, Demoux would be at least 250-300 years old.

I know Brandon hasn't finalised the timeline between Scadrial and Roshar, but he has said that the Wax and Wayne books take place after Stormlight 5, and we know they take place some 300 years after the first Mistborn series.

2 hours ago, Bort said:

I'd just like to point out that, during his SA cameo, Demoux would be at least 250-300 years old.

I know Brandon hasn't finalised the timeline between Scadrial and Roshar, but he has said that the Wax and Wayne books take place after Stormlight 5, and we know they take place some 300 years after the first Mistborn series.

Yeah I know that. Many worldhoppers use a time dilatation technique to extend their Lifespan.

What I was saying is if Demoux spent decades on Scadrial raising a family. He would probably be look quite old in SA.

But again, that was a tenuos consideration. The relevants arguments were others

13 hours ago, Weltall said:

Demoux and Aslydin are both members of the Seventeenth Shard and are worldhoppers so it's unlikely they've left behind children on Scadrial without being there to raise them. If they have children, they're probably on Silverlight.

There is so much in here I need unpacked for me.  Who is Aslydin and when do she and Demux get together?  (I've read all the Cosmere books except I'm reading Shadows of Self right now).  What is the Seventeenth shard, do we already know about 16 of them?  What is Silverlight?  

Sorry if I sound like such a rube, I hope someone will take the time to explain some of this.  Thanks!  I think you can message me if you don't want to respond in this forum.

2 minutes ago, Jana.rao said:

There is so much in here I need unpacked for me.  Who is Aslydin and when do she and Demux get together?  (I've read all the Cosmere books except I'm reading Shadows of Self right now).  What is the Seventeenth shard, do we already know about 16 of them?  What is Silverlight?  

Sorry if I sound like such a rube, I hope someone will take the time to explain some of this.  Thanks!  I think you can message me if you don't want to respond in this forum.

Aslydin is a woman in a relationship with Demoux. I'm afraid I can't recall the specifics of their relationship like when they got together, apologies.

The Seventeenth Shard is an organisation in the Cosmere. We don't know too much about them but their agents/members are worldhoppers, Demoux and Aslydin being two. The other 16 Shards are the pieces of Adonalsium like Ruin, Preservation, Honor etc. we don't know all of them though. Silverlight is a city that exists in the Cognitive Realm.

Don't worry about it! There is quite a lot to remember and I had to Google quite a bit to understand. Demoux is a general who helped overthrow the Lord Ruler and an atrium misting who fought in the last battle with Elend venture.  He and Aslydin got together just before the battle. 

2 hours ago, Jana.rao said:

As said, don't worry about it. There's a ridiculous amount of stuff to keep track of and even if you've read all the published books, there's a lot that we know from signings, interviews, Brandon's blog etc. that you'd have to know to be 'completely' up to date. And even then there's so much of it that it's easy to miss something important to the discussion of the moment, or forget it amid all the other trivia. Welcome to the rabbit hole. xD

To answer the specifics, Aslydin is someone we really only know from side material. The annotations to Hero of Ages explain how she and Demoux met (and also how Demoux the character came to be).

If you've been keeping track, this Terriswoman is, indeed, the romantic interest I promised Micah DeMoux by the end of the book. He said he didn't care if he ended up with an important character—that didn't matter to him. He just wanted Captain Demoux to find romance. It took some working, but I managed to work it in. The story behind this is, of course, Captain Demoux and his troops showing up to lend organization and authority to the Terris people, who had been flooded with refugees.

Demoux and his men created law and order, stopping the petty theft and the like that had been a problem with the refugee bands. He essentially took command of the entire place, though he was very respectful to the Terris leaders. This woman, daughter of one of the Terris elders, fell in love with Demoux for his honor and his respectability, and he began to reciprocate.

Even as the world neared its end, she and Demoux were able to find love.

The Seventeenth Shard is a group mentioned in the letter that forms the epigraphs in one part of The Way of Kings, as a group of people who are chasing the writer. By piecing the evidence together, you can figure out that the writer is Hoid and the people he's referring to are the trio who showed up in the Purelake interlude, Demoux being one of them. Most of what we know of the group beyond that, we learned from asking Brandon questions at signings. For example, he's told us that their name was chosen deliberately and that one of their fundamental beliefs is that the Shards of Adonalsium were separated for a reason and it would be best if things stayed that way. They do a lot of research on other worlds but don't want to actively interfere in what happens on them. They're hunting Hoid as a sort of side goal because they're worried that he and they might be working at cross-purposes.

Silverlight was first mentioned in Arcanum Unbounded as a city where people from many worlds have gathered to live and to share information. Brandon has revealed that it exists entirely in the Cognitive Realm. He's got plans to write a novella focusing on it at some point.

As for the sixteen Shards themselves, we only know of ten right now and a lot of what we know comes from outside material as well, or requires connecting the dots across multiple works.

There's a new database that's collecting all of these bits of Brandon Sanderson goodness and organizing them, called Arcanum. It's an awesome resource and can easily kill hours of free time if you let it. There you an also find a link to the Coppermind wiki which is a good resource to give you an overview of things we know, though it's not completely up to date. You can find Arcanum here: https://wob.coppermind.net/

Edited by Weltall

I spent like 20 minutes reading and re-reading your post last night, thanks for the long post and all the info!  A few follow up questions:  

• Is the name "Arcanum" at all similar to Patrick Rothfuss's Arcanum?
  • So. . . The Seventeenth Shard is the name of the group right?  And the other 16 shards are more like beings or forces?
  • The Seventeenth Shard is hunting Hoid. . . What does Hoid want?

4 minutes ago, Jana.rao said:

I spent like 20 minutes reading and re-reading your post last night, thanks for the long post and all the info!  A few follow up questions:  

• Is the name "Arcanum" at all similar to Patrick Rothfuss's Arcanum?
  • So. . . The Seventeenth Shard is the name of the group right?  And the other 16 shards are more like beings or forces?
  • The Seventeenth Shard is hunting Hoid. . . What does Hoid want?

Brandon could've potentially gotten the name from there or perhaps they both drew from the same inspiration. The site is called Arcanum in reference to the Ars Arcanum at the back of many Cosmere books.

Yup. Seventeenth is a group while the 16 proper Shards are more like gods/beings/forces.

Hoid's goals are something of a mystery but they seem to involve intervention which is something the Seventeeth Shard isn't a fan of.

Ok cool gotcha.  I have always really liked Hoid, I hope he ends up not being a bad guy.  I remember one time when he was talking to Dalinar he said to not trust him too much because he might not have the same goals as him.  But he was so good for Kaladin and Shalan.  When they needed him, he showed up and said the perfect thing and told the perfect story. I find him kinda inspirational.

• Chaos locked this topic