Mistorn second series (Wax and Wayne)

Jana.rao

Hey there,

First of all, I apologize if I spelled anything wrong in the title of this post.  I listen to the audiobooks for all Sanderson books and I don't know how to spell names therefore.  And let me just say, Sanderson's audiobook narrator's are pretty spectacular.  Some of the best in the fantasy audiobook world.

Here's my question regarding the Mistborn series.  I have been reading Sanderson for two year now or so and I have read Elantris, Warbreaker, Starlight Archives, Mistborn.  I just realized there is a second series in the Mistorb series (Wax and Wayne).  I have been listening to it for a few hours now but I'm a little confused as to some of the references the book is making to the early Mistborn books.  Like is the Lord Misborn they reference the Lord Ruler?  Harmony is Sazed right?  And the warrior is Vinn.  Am I getting these right?

Hope to hear from some of you.  I'm new to this website and am so far having a lot of fun immersing myself in all things Comsmere.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Shard!

Yeah, the second Mistborn series (which is generally referred to as 'Era 2' for short) takes place about three hundred years after the original trilogy and a lot of what happened at the end of Hero of Ages has become part of Scadrial's religious environment. Vin became remembered as the Ascendant Warrior (they also remember her name, so that's more of a title), Elend is remembered as the Last Emperor and so on. The 'Lord Mistborn' is actually Spook, who Sazed made a Mistborn at the very end of the trilogy (this will get referenced later in Alloy of Law if you haven't gotten to it yet) and you're right that Sazed is now known as Harmony. Brandon mentions outside the books that he picked the name himself as it 'seemed right' for the combined powers that he now holds.

Ohhhhhh, it's Spook!  I totally forgot that Sazed gave him Mistborn powers.  Or maybe I just missed that when first reading it.  I've actually read most of Sanderson's books multiple times and I'm surprised I missed this.  It always gets me when I reread a book and understand something new or get a nuance I didn't get last time.  That's what I really like about these books.

Thanks for clarifying!

Well a cool easter egg is that lots of the cities have names that derive from Era 1 characters, like Elendel. Also you get to see Marsh in there somewhere (although I'm not saying where, spoilers abound, you know?). Besides that, I kind of thought Vin was also known as Vindication...but I may be wrong

On 1/6/2018 at 10:05 PM, NamelessThirteenth said:

Well a cool easter egg is that lots of the cities have names that derive from Era 1 characters, like Elendel. Also you get to see Marsh in there somewhere (although I'm not saying where, spoilers abound, you know?). Besides that, I kind of thought Vin was also known as Vindication...but I may be wrong

As I recall, Vindication is the name of a really cool gun made by Ranette. She named it after Vin.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Vindication confuses me, as in world Vin’s name is pronounced ‘Vah’. Has the language changed to be less French sounding?

Oh shoot, you're totally right. I'd never thought of that before!

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Brandon said we could pronounce however we like. If I recall correctly, he himself pronounces Kelsier and Vin like you would in english. But in-world, it is french pronounciation.

Yes. That. You said it much better than I did. 

How is Kelsier supposed to be pronounced?

2 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The point was that ‘in world’ Vindication makes no sense if named for Vin unless the language has changed. Which is very possible. But if it has changed, Kell’s name is the one most likely to be mispronounced, which I think he would find irritating.

6 hours ago, podman36 said:

How is Kelsier supposed to be pronounced?

Kel (is still "kell") • Si (like the spanish word) • Er (the "r" is rather faint, so it's almost like the "ay" in hay")

Brandon Sanderson
The thing is that sometimes I don't pronounce them the right way. Like I say "Kel-see-er" in-world they say "Kel-see-ay" because it is French, the original core I was using so you get things like Vin Demoux and things like this which are French terms or French names or French words, and Kelsier, I say his name "Kel-see-er" but I'm an American. 'Murica.  I say it like an American would but you are free to pronounce the names in the book however you want to.

According to Google translate and a friend who speaks Canadian French, the last two are basically one syllable, the L is swallowed, and the emphasis is on the K. (Think of how you say Denier, then switch out the first syllable. It’s the closest RW equivalent.)

If the language has taken on more Germanic sounding elements, which is quite possible, then most people will be mispronouncing that name.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 5:32 AM, NamelessThirteenth said:

No way in Damnation....

No, no, no, no, no, no!!! I've been reading it long all along!

Brandon is on-record as not caring how people pronounce his names.  I tend to call Vin and Kelsier "Vann" and "Kellseeay" (maintaining my native American accent).  

Vin in French is an ah sound? I thought from my French lessons in high school that's it's closer to a hybrid between ee and eh. The closest sound I can think of, and it's still not quite is vent minus the t, but it's still not quite right. 

Edited by Calderis

I'd definitely read a hard 'n' sound in there, like the actual French word vin (wine) has. But it's a bit more subtle than an n at the end of a word in English would normally sound. So... somewhere between 'Vah' and 'Van' maybe? I dunno, I'm terribly out of practice at describing the sounds of French.

Random aside since it's on my mind from another topic, the Japanese translation of Mistborn has her name as ヴィン which is close to French-sounding but not quite identical. It sounds like the letter V with an n-sound at the end.

I've read and listened to Audio, and also enjoyed Michale Kramer's narration.  For most books, including these, I go by the narrator's pronunciation.  When listening though, I always thought it was a little odd when the narrator would speak Demoux's part in a French accent.  (It looked French to me in writing as did Lord Renoux's name)...but did not realize that there was a lot more French influence on the other names as well. 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:21 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The point was that ‘in world’ Vindication makes no sense if named for Vin unless the language has changed. Which is very possible. But if it has changed, Kell’s name is the one most likely to be mispronounced, which I think he would find irritating.

Scadrians don't actually speak English, so far as I'm concerned, I call it "fantasy book translation", where the characters' language is "translated" to English (or French, or German, or maybe even Finnish) by the author. For all we know, the word for "vindication" is pronounced in a way that the pun would make sense.

39 minutes ago, The Allomantic Metalhead said:

Scadrians don't actually speak English, so far as I'm concerned, I call it "fantasy book translation", where the characters' language is "translated" to English (or French, or German, or maybe even Finnish) by the author. For all we know, the word for "vindication" is pronounced in a way that the pun would make sense.

Exactly. They speak a dialect of Terris, which is written as English for the sake of the reader.