[OB] Name of the Sibling

DracostarA

So I came across this thread on Reddit and thought it could be a plausible theory for the identity of the Sibling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/comments/7occ6b/sa_stormfather_nightwatcher_and/

TL;DR: At the end of WoK where Taravangian reveals himself to be Szeth's master, he wonders if the 'Lifebrother' sent Szeth to him. In the context it seems to be some Shin mythology, but the 'brother' links to the 'Sibling' idea and 'Lifebrother' fits the same scheme as 'Nightwatcher' and 'Stormfather', and may be the name of the Sibling (since people seem to think it can also bring Urithiru 'to life' in a sense, this would fit also). 

Thoughts?

It's certainly not a Shin deity, because Szeth responds with something along the lines of "Sending me so that you can use me to murder for you? Sounds like something one of your Vorin gods would do". The tone I got from that was derisive (Szeth disapproves of Lifebrother and Vorinism in general) as opposed to contradictory (Lifebrother wouldn't do that, that's more your gods' style).

I really like this theory, but my main reservation with it is that Lifebrother is a decidedly masculine name, whereas up until now every mention of the Sibling has been intentionally gender neutral. I wonder if the Vorin mythos accidentally splits the Sibling into two entities: Lifebrother and Deathsister, perhaps? Together, these two would form the genderless Sibling. 

This is a stretch, but maybe that incorrect Vorin belief became so pervasive that it actually affected the Sibling, thus explaining the damage humanity has caused to the Sibling that the Stormfather referred to, and also explains how the Sibling would end up being called Lifebrother when no other major spren's name was lost to time.

Realistically, I think that's too far out there, but I still really like the S=LB theory.

A post about the sibling seems a good enough place as any to drop this:  IIRC the Stormfather refers to the sibling in both the singular and the plural.  Is it at all possible that the sibling is some sort of hivemind spren akin to the sleepless?  And if so could it be the sibling that is being tucked away in Aimia?  As this is one of those random thoughts that occur during mindnumbing Labour I would love to hear all of your thoughts.

30 minutes ago, stonedshaman said:

A post about the sibling seems a good enough place as any to drop this:  IIRC the Stormfather refers to the sibling in both the singular and the plural.  Is it at all possible that the sibling is some sort of hivemind spren akin to the sleepless?  And if so could it be the sibling that is being tucked away in Aimia?  As this is one of those random thoughts that occur during mindnumbing Labour I would love to hear all of your thoughts.

This is plausible, but I think it's more likely the Stormfather was just avoiding revealing the sibling's gender. Have an upvote anyway.

56 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

This is plausible, but I think it's more likely the Stormfather was just avoiding revealing the sibling's gender. Have an upvote anyway.

I personally like the idea that the Sibling is a composite entity, kind of like Ursula's eels Flotsam and Jetsam from the little mermaid. This would also be convenient for the 3rd Bondsmith, they could potentially leave one portion of the Sibling at Urithiru to power system critical functions and take the other portion of the Sibling out of the tower city to have access to their surges.

My personal hope is that the 3rd bondsmith will be Arclo or another one of the Sleepless, because they have the ability to be in more than one place simultaneously. So they would have the ability to fight on the front lines while simultaneously keeping Urithiru going, and they could make sure that enough of their Hordelings were left at Urithiru to maintain their consciousness so that they would be effectively unkillable.

@harel55, you were really close, here's the exact words of the passage:

"Yes, I speak your language. Sometimes I wonder if the Lifebrother himself sent you to me."

"To bloody myself so that you wouldn't have to," Szeth said. "Yes, that sounds like something one of your Vorinism's gods would do."

I really like your formulation that the pronoun ambiguity and gender non-specificity is because the Sibling is a pair of spren of opposite genders. Maybe the thing that hurt the Sibling was Odium splintering off one of them to form the unmade Chemoarish, the Dustmother (total speculation here, but interesting to think about). I'm out of upvotes but I'll give you one when they trickle back in.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine
typo, like usual

• Chaos locked this topic