The Orville

Kestrel

Anyone here watch it? I've been obsessing over it for... months now. Its basically a Star Trek spoof (that is more like Star Trek than discovery is if I'm being honest). Its like Star Trek, but with normal people.

But anyway, its super fun. Its written by Seth Macfarlane (who also plays the captain, Ed), and if I'm being honest I didn't have high hopes for it (I've never been a fan of Seth's work tbh) but I was pleasantly surprised with it. The humor isn't great, but the episode plotlines and characters are wonderful.

I'm sad we won't get anymore until fall, but at least it got renewed for a second season *side-eyes fox and their tendency to cancel shows*

15 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Hoping for a full 26 Ep season but I suspect it ll be 18-20.

awesome show

Same, I was really disappointed we only got 12 episodes in the first season. We were supposed to get 13, but the 13th was pushed back to be the premiere of the second season.

I admit that when I first heard about it I didn't have high hopes but after watching the first two episodes I found it to be very well done.  The whole season was enjoyable and I am looking forward to a second season.

I actually keep wavering on this; some episodes have me going, "Haha, yeah, that's what we'd really be like." Others have me cringing and wanting to hide from the television. Or possibly throw things at it, because how in the name of all that is clever and good could cream-of-the-crop professionals be that stupid.

They attempt to tackle social issues in the same way that Classic and TNG Trek did, but it's often ham-handed and blind to a lot of the actual realities surrounding the issues it's trying to address. (I'm reluctant to go into too much detail, as these issues can get politicized, and I'm not looking to start a forum nuclear war.) I am often left wondering if MacFarlane actually researched anything past the Wikipedia level on a lot of this.

At its best, the show is brilliantly hilarious.

At its worst, it's really, really bad. Like, "I'm pretty sure that people should think less of me for watching this show" bad.

This show was a very pleasant surprise to me. Of course the fact I had pretty low expectations may have helped. I'm not a huge Seth McFarlane fan so didn't know what I'd think about this. Is it goofy at times? Sure but in a fun way most of the time. Only episode I didn't really like much was the one where Rob Lowe secretes the pheromone that makes EVERYONE want to hook up with him. That one was a little too over the top for me. Other than that one I enjoyed all the other episodes a lot. I think my favorite one was the one they snuck on the alien ship and Scott Grimes kept making the rental car jokes. It is not Star Trek and not a complete spoof like Galaxy Quest (which was what I was expecting) but some where in the middle. Oh and the visuals/special effects are really good and not done in the cheesy way I was expecting. Looking forward to more!

Edited by StormingTexan

9 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

I actually keep wavering on this; some episodes have me going, "Haha, yeah, that's what we'd really be like." Others have me cringing and wanting to hide from the television. Or possibly throw things at it, because how in the name of all that is clever and good could cream-of-the-crop professionals be that stupid.

The thing is though, the ship really isn't cream of the crop (at least, not a lot of the main cast). Ed is a new captain, Alara is super inexperienced for someone of her high rank, Gordon probably shouldn't be flying a ship anyway, and John... John just doesn't want to try throughout most of the season (I'm still really angry he got chief of engineering, when Yaphit was next in line. smarts =/= leadership ability, and it feels unfair to Yaphit imo).

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

This show was a very pleasant surprise to me. Of course the fact I had pretty low expectations may have helped. I'm not a huge Seth McFarlane fan so didn't know what I'd think about this. Is it goofy at times? Sure but in a fun way most of the time. Only episode I didn't really like much was the one where Rob Lowe secretes the pheromone that makes EVERYONE want to hook up with him. That one was a little too over the top for me. Other than that one I enjoyed all the other episodes a lot. I think my favorite one was the one they snuck on the alien ship and Scott Grimes kept making the rental car jokes. It is not Star Trek and not a complete spoof like Galaxy Quest (which was what I was expecting) but some where in the middle. Oh and the visuals/special effects are really good and not done in the cheesy way I was expecting. Looking forward to more!

Frankly I hated a lot of that episode. It was funny at times, but I'm still trying to scrub that scene between Claire and Yaphit out of my head. Not to mention, I hate that the writer (who was actually not Macfarlane) sets it up as "Kelly didn't cheat on Ed it was just this pheromone." No! Its still cheating. aksfhdsfjdskl

6 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

The Rob Lowe episode was utter trash. I feel like this was the writers getting together and saying, "Hey, we can't actually have a complex character who makes a big, hurtful mistake like that; audiences aren't sophisticated enough to find her likeable." So they came up with an excuse and wrapped it up in a gross date rape joke and applauded themselves for solving their "problem."

The car rental jokes grated on me; that was one of the episodes that was spotty for me. It had good moments, if a bit ham-fisted, and then just a descent into utter sitcom awfulness. (Probably doesn't help that I hate sitcoms.)

Another one that annoyed me - the planet with the Facebook government. I had this expectation that the navigator guy would have this moment of clarity and finally just say, "Look, I'm an idiot sometimes. My friend was having a rough time after a crappy breakup, and I got caught up in trying to cheer her up by acting like a goofy moron. I wasn't paying attention to what I was really doing, and I wound up making a fool out of myself." That would have been sufficiently contrite with some actual redemption value there. But no, instead they took it down this over-the-top "let's hack the system!" nonsense and ruined any positive value that episode had managed to scrape together.

I mostly like the show, but it constantly disappoints me when I see something good it could reach for and then have to sit and watch it wave at the good thing and then take a left turn down a dark, windy alley.

5 hours ago, Kestrel said:

The thing is though, the ship really isn't cream of the crop (at least, not a lot of the main cast). Ed is a new captain, Alara is super inexperienced for someone of her high rank, Gordon probably shouldn't be flying a ship anyway, and John... John just doesn't want to try throughout most of the season (I'm still really angry he got chief of engineering, when Yaphit was next in line. smarts =/= leadership ability, and it feels unfair to Yaphit imo).

Meh. I would argue that anyone going through Not!Starfleet Academy should represent the best and brightest that humanity has to offer. You don't put dithering morons in charge of a fancy starship unless the admiralty is run by dithering morons themselves.

I liked the Lowe Ep.

If it was cream of the crop they’d be on a heavy cruiser not mid sized exploration vessel.

i actually been hoping that S2 will give the crew a cruiser at some point. I would think they would have to considering

that Krill kid knowing the location of Earth(if they told truth). I suspect a massive show down will happen.

Edited by Briar King

I actually really liked both Majority Rule and Krill. I mean, John tried to apologize by saying he had a lapse of judgement, he just did it really badly. I'm super bad at apologies so I can relate to that, really. Krill was just a good time; it was really fun to watch.

I think the Union itself is a bit more lax than Starfleet, in general, which is probably a plot point to help make the show comedy.

Edit: if that krill kid don't come back i'm gonna be mad, that's such a good plot point they need to build off of.

Edited by Kestrel

2 hours ago, Kestrel said:

I actually really liked both Majority Rule and Krill. I mean, John tried to apologize by saying he had a lapse of judgement, he just did it really badly. I'm super bad at apologies so I can relate to that, really.

I honestly disagree with the assertion - he didn't, really. He was focused on parroting what his PR guy was telling him to do, trying to sell himself and go through the established motions, but he never really took ownership of how he screwed up. He was pandering, not apologizing, and it showed.