[OB] A wild theory on the significance of gemstones in OB and the wider Cosmere

ShardHunter

By the end of Oathbringer it becomes apparent that gemstones are playing a number of roles in the story, and hints that they have a greater significance in the Cosmere in general.

Consider:

Spoiler

• Spheres and raw gemstones capture Stormlight
  • Fabrials are made by via trapping specific spren in in specific gemstones
  • Parshendi have gemhearts that facilitate their form changing via captured spren
  • We begin to see the possibilities of how a gem-trapped spren can be used to infuse/bond with a host via ingestion of such a gem
  • We get introduced to Perfect Gems, and the fact they do not leak their content (stormlight or spren)
  • In Rysen's interlude (I-13) we get to learn about the "King's Drop" ruby, which appears to be a perfect gem, and the speculation that it could be a chunk of something named the "Stone of Ten Dawns"

Woah .. hang on ... think about it! :)

Spoiler

A perfect gem, capable of perfectly storing stormlight or a spren, that in itself could be a piece of a larger stone

hmmm ... perhaps such a stone could have been broken, say shattered, into chunks that perhaps could be named shards of the original stone

With that in mind, lets consider the Epigraph at the start of Chapter 42

Spoiler

"Cephandrius, bearer of the First Gem. You must know better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship." 

hmmm ... putting it all together

Spoiler

Cephandrius? oh yes, pretty much confirmed as our favorite oddball mystery-man, Hoid by now!

Cephandrius/Hoid/Wit has been around a long time, indeed even being present at the time of the Shattering of Adonalsium into the 16 Shards we are following through the Cosmere

One of the big mysteries is about what the Shattering was, and how it was done.

So .... what was the First Gem, why did Hoid have it, what was it used for, and what happened to it? 

Is it possible that something known as the First Gem was capable of trapping a full god-like entity? What would happen if such a gemstone then was broken ... shattered into 16 shards, each of which was taken by a person who then ingested the gem shard resulting in the melding of the trapped contents with themselves ...

There you go, my first contribution to the wild lands of Cosmere Theories ... i may be completely off track with this, but personally  i feel there is something of merit in this line of thought.

I guess we will simply have to wait and in the immortal words of Brandon ... RAFO!

Edited by ShardHunter

I don't know that all gems are doing the same thing, and I disagree with how you think the Shattering happened, but also:

Spoiler

Moash uses a knife with a gem at the pommel to kill Jezrien, who is a splinter/cognitive shadow.

Hoid is called "Bearer of the First Gem" which kind of implies that he still has it. As such, I think that he does have this supposed First Gem still, and that it wasn't used. Also, I think the original vessels Ascended in the same way that Sazed did, by touching the form of the shard where it lingered on the ground.

As an aside, it would be helpful if you added a conclusion to your theory instead of just presenting a list of thought.

12 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Hoid is called "Bearer of the First Gem" which kind of implies that he still has it.

I have a vague memory that there has been a hint about Hoid (referenced as one of his aliases) seeking a lost gem in the epigraphs of one of the earlier books, possibly WoR but I cannot remember the details off hand.

Edit: WoR Second Letter, chapter 60 epigraph (which is written as part of a letter to "old friend", thought to be Hoid.

Spoiler

"Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master? I am told that in your current incarnation you’ve taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues."

Seems this might relate to the First Gem then, but no longer much use. 

So he may still have it, true. Certainly something to watch for in following books.

Edited by ShardHunter

That is a reference to One of hoid's old names. He was knows as Topaz back then. You May notice how he whole chat is about his name. And how he took his master's name (Hoid) and now he is called with One of his virtues (Wit)

He also mentioned that with Kal in One of their chat. Something like "i was named After a beatuful Stone".

14 hours ago, ShardHunter said:

Edit: WoR Second Letter, chapter 60 epigraph (which is written as part of a letter to "old friend", thought to be Hoid.

Here.

Questioner

The Second Letter, Frost mentions a gemstone, is that in the Moon Scepter?

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. That is a Topaz, which was associated with him for a long time and had some mystical properties.

• Chaos locked this topic