Are we SURE it's Odium attacking Harmony at Scadrial?

If Harmony had to divest himself of power to keep them away from Odium.

He has admitted to being trapped and at odds with his dual natures in the final Letter in Oathbringer. 

I wonder what character he might choose as successor? Have you?

Any thoughts?

I was thinking more along the lines of Scadrial characters. Which may take up his mantle?

Marasi has a vast education and knowledge of groups and characteristics. 

Wax has the age and wisdom, understands metallic arts and criminal behaviors.

Steris and Wayne, eh, maybes.

I am missing the whole point of choosing a successor. Anyway, no Scadrial's character fits the role to me

Why does he have to do something like that?

By the way, @John203 meant that the prevalent theory is that Autonomy is attaching Scadrial, not Odium

Edited by Yata

It's not just Sazed, anyone who inherited Harmony would find themselves limited due to the conflicting Intents of the two Shards that combined to form it. And Sazed's been noted to be somewhat resistant to the influence of his conflicting Intents due to his own nature, so handing the power off to someone else wouldn't really make a huge difference. In most respects doing that would probably be a Bad Idea, since anyone in a position to take up a Shard in the present would be completely new to the idea and even less experienced than Sazed, who at least had the advantage of his Copperminds to help him best use all that power at the critical moments post-Ascension when he was able to use the power with the least Intent-imposed restrictions.

So no, the idea of Sazed passing on his Shard(s) to other people in Era 2 Scadrial or anywhere remotely close to it hasn't even crossed my mind.

I've had this feeling since Shadows of Self-ish where Sazed hates criminals but must allow them to be (he prompted technology not to advance as he wished for us). He confessed his flaws to a lawman who he "seems" to be favoring quite a lot. Wax's advanced age is also giving me pause for one day grooming him for Ascension in case the "red haze" tries to eliminates all life on this sphere and then game over for Mistborn. We know Sazed is pacifist, Wax is not, just like Vin with her new Ascension. 

80's computer era Mistborn may only come to pass once Sazed's "gifts" for the sufferaged ash-era people are gone from the Elendel Basin (garden of eden) and technology will burst wide open. I have suspicions that the Shards of Scadrial may be under new management at that time.

More thoughts?

40 minutes ago, tabitreader said:

We know Sazed is pacifist, Wax is not, just like Vin with her new Ascension. 

A large part of his pacifism is that he's balancing the intents of the shards and their respective investiture, as they are somewhat unstable when mixed together. As has been stated above, if someone else takes it and is unable to achieve that balance, the effects would likely be quite destructive, on a far greater scale than when a small piece of ettmetal explodes. 

Even someone with a more violent nature, while they could act more proactively against a threat, would eventually either be caught between both shards, or be destroyed by the warring powers. The latter would likely have resounding effects on Scadrial due to the close-knit connection between the world and the powers which assembled it.

Overall, I think it's unlikely that Sazed will die and another will take up Harmony. 

We know that Sazed is going to hold Harmony until at least Mistborn 9. (thanks @Oversleep)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/69/#e6531

Questioner

*asks for a "future quote of Harmony"*

Brandon Sanderson

This is clever, I've never had this before.

Questioner

I wondered whether I could challenge you to do it...

Brandon Sanderson

*writes* "It is yours."

I don't know if that will actually be the quote, but you can come ask me after Mistborn 9?

26 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

Great quote, and I suspect you're right, but how are we sure that's Sazed speaking and not some other person holding Harmony?

How do we know another person holding the Shards would even be named Harmony? 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

How do we know another person holding the Shards would even be named Harmony? 

To establish that the quote must be from Sazed it's not necessary to prove that another person holding Ruin and Preservation would be named Harmony. It's necessary to prove they wouldn't.

(Which is to say: we don't know that.)

Edited by digitalbusker
answering the actual question

5 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

To establish that the quote must be from Sazed it's not necessary to prove that another person holding Ruin and Preservation would be named Harmony. It's necessary to prove they wouldn't.

(Which is to say: we don't know that.)

And my point is that we've never seen a singe shard change hands. It's an assumption in either direction. So basically, as the WoB says, we'll have an answer by Mistborn 9.

12 minutes ago, Crazy1993 said:

Mistborn 9 before he added another era or new Mistborn 9? If it's the former, we aren't seeing Sazed die or abdicate untill the the endpoint of the Cosmere.

The WoB was from the SoS release party. It's including era 2

47 minutes ago, Crazy1993 said:

Mistborn 9 before he added another era or new Mistborn 9? If it's the former, we aren't seeing Sazed die or abdicate untill the the endpoint of the Cosmere.

Assuming he's even talking about the shard. It's a pretty open-ended line.

I've been thinking Sazed might have two successors, one for each Shard. He'll split them up, or maybe just give one away, so they can stop neutralizing each other, and actually do some good for the cosmere.

My theory is that Wax is being groomed to hold Ruin, hence the whole "You are his Ruin" thing. Wax is all about using violence to do good in the world, channeling destruction into protection. I think he'd be a good candidate for a positive Ruin. 

10 hours ago, Belzedar said:

My theory is that Wax is being groomed to hold Ruin, hence the whole "You are his Ruin" thing. Wax is all about using violence to do good in the world, channeling destruction into protection. I think he'd be a good candidate for a positive Ruin. 

Well TenSoon is "his Preservation" so I would argue with that interpretation.

I believe Sazed simply chose some focused Agents to achieve both the sides of his power. In this way, he keeps himself balanced in his actions/influences

• Chaos locked this topic