[OB Part One] Question about Urithiru and infusing spheres

Frasure2

So I just started Part 2 of OB, and something has been confusing me since the end of WOR/Start of OB. How do they infuse spheres at Urithiru? I've read multiple times that the city is above the highstorms and they are never concerned about the Everstorm because they are above it. So how do they infuse spheres there if the storms never touch them? I may have missed something and would like some clarity. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, .S.A.M.K.M said:

I am betting the tower is the perfect lightning rod for storm light, possibly even void light. These energies are keep advantages to the knight radiants.

I don't understand what you mean.

The tower is above the Highstorms' level and can't directly recive Stormlight from the Storm itself

8 minutes ago, RShara said:

But isn't it still basically inside a mountain?  It'd be cool if Urithiru had a mechanism to infuse itself, but I'm not sure if there is a way for the mechanics to be possible.

The threads from that gemstone pillar seem to go all throughout Urithuru. If there are any exposed on the mountainside itself, but somehow protected, that could be a way to infuse the whole tower in one highstorm.

13 minutes ago, Vortaan said:

The threads from that gemstone pillar seem to go all throughout Urithuru. If there are any exposed on the mountainside itself, but somehow protected, that could be a way to infuse the whole tower in one highstorm.

That could work.  I mean, we do have to assume that stormlight can flow that way, but it's not a huge stretch.

3 hours ago, Yata said:

I don't understand what you mean.

The tower is above the Highstorms' level and can't directly recive Stormlight from the Storm itself

22 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Frasure2 first off, Bhushan should be in the spoiler board. As to your question 

OB spoilers 

Reveal hidden contents

There are baskets on chain mechanisms meant to lower spheres down into the storms themselves. 

So before they found the mechanisms to lower spheres into the highstorms how were they able to infuse spheres?

Just now, Frasure2 said:

So before they found the mechanisms to lower spheres into the highstorms how were they able to infuse spheres?

They found this during the Weeping, before they had any storms at Urithiru. It wasn't ever an issue. 

5 minutes ago, Calderis said:

They found this during the Weeping, before they had any storms at Urithiru. It wasn't ever an issue. 

Oh really? Could you refer me to a page when you get the chance? I'd like to read over that section again.

46 minutes ago, Frasure2 said:

Oh really? Could you refer me to a page when you get the chance? I'd like to read over that section again.

I'm not sure of the page, I haven't done a reread yet, and it was in part one, during the preview chapters. I know it was in a Dalinar chapter prior to the wedding, but that's about it. 

The scholars had discovered long chains and cages, apparently used for lowering spheres down into the storms, so they’d be able to renew their spheres—if the highstorms ever returned. In other parts of the world, the Weeping had restarted, then fitfully stopped. It might start again. Or the proper storms might start up. Nobody knew, and the Stormfather refused to enlighten him.

Chapter 4: Oaths.  Before Dalinar and Navani get married.

28 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I'm not sure of the page, I haven't done a reread yet, and it was in part one, during the preview chapters. I know it was in a Dalinar chapter prior to the wedding, but that's about it. 

7 minutes ago, RShara said:

Chapter 4: Oaths.  Before Dalinar and Navani get married.

Perfect, thank you both!

• Chaos locked this topic