[OB] Figure accompanying Odium

scottos

In the battle of Theylen City there are a few times when a figure of black smoke is mentioned hovering around Odium: "Odium had retreated into nothingness, though his Fused remained, as did most of the troops, and one strange spren -  the one like black smoke."

And then earlier: "the area around Venli - once crowded by the spirits of the dead - was now empty for the single black figure of swirling smoke. She missed that one at first, as it was the size of a normal person. It stood near Odium, and she did not know what it represented."

Is this one of the Unmade or is it something else?

OB Spoilers:

I suspect it is Dai-Gonarthis. Had Dalinar given in, I suspect that it would have consumed his sorrow and bonded with him.

Let me no longer hurt! Let me no longer weep! Dai-gonarthis! The Black Fisher holds my sorrow and consumes it! 

— Tanatesach 1173, 28 seconds pre-death. A darkeyed female street juggler. Note similarity to sample 1172-89.[1

Edited by The Sovereign

5 hours ago, Belzedar said:
  Hide contents

I believe this is Yelig-Nar, the Unmade that possessed Amaram when he swallowed the gemstone.

OB Spoilers:

Looks like I was wrong per @RShara and @Windrunner apparently it is Yelig-Nar.

I had thought this as well at first, it isn't however. We see it while Amaram is bonded with Yelig-Nar. Venli makes note of it.

Edited by The Sovereign
made some corrections based on peoples responses.

I still think it's Yelig-nar. 

1 hour ago, The Sovereign said:

OB Spoilers:

Hide contents

I had thought this as well at first, it isn't however. We see it while Amaram is bonded with Yelig-Nar. Venli makes note of it.

I'm looking for this passage.  The only PoV we get from Venli after Dalinar unites the Realms is when she's getting on the ship, and she doesn't mention seeing the black smoke.

Dalinar would've become Odium's Champion if he had given in, and probably would've been taken over by the Thrill and might've bonded to it as well. 

Yelig-nar was the black smoke being, and he isn't contained in a gemstone; he only needs someone to swallow a gemstone so that he can bond with them. Also, I'm pretty sure Aesudan was described as having black smoke either following her or around her, so I'm pretty sure it's the same case as Amaram. 

I thought it was pretty clear that it was Yelig-nar:

"...was now empty save for the single black figure of swirling smoke. She'd missing that one at first, as it was the size of a normal person." (p1099 hb)

"Abaray, could you provide this human with an appropriate housing for Yelig-nar?" ... "the queen at Kholinar tried this, and the power consumed her."  (p1131 hb)

...Kaladin got the distinct impression of something enveloping Amaram.  A black smoke.  The same that Kaladin had seen surrounding Queen Aesudan at the end... (p1148 hb)

• Chaos locked this topic