If you could put one fictional character in the Cosmere...

(From Terry Pratchett's City Watch series) Captain Carrot Ironfounderson, just to see the havoc he would reek (wreck?) across the cosmere. I mean, this super kick-butt dude who stands at six foot six, speaks most language of the languages found across his world, and who once arrested a freaking DRAGON would fit right in. Of course, he also offers suggestions that gangs turn deadly squabbles into not-so-deadly soccer games, calls everyone a "good citizen" and believes it, avoids swearing, and is as honest as the turtle moves. Would he survive very long on Roshar or Scadrial? No, probably not. But it would still be funny.

Honestly, I would shove him into the cosmere for the sole purpose of seeing how all of the other characters react to to an honest, kind, homely guy who is very good at frightening trolls, vampires, and werewolves into submission.

@I am Witless I love Carrot so much!  He actually would probably join the Skybreakers, seeing how he follows the law too perfectly.  Although I would love to see Vimes in the cosmere.

However, I if I could only pick one character I would choose Haplo from the Death Gate Cycle.  (or maybe Alfred, but no he would faint too much.)  Haplo would handle being in another world, because he’s traveled worlds in his universe.  I think him on Roshar would be funny since when he uses magic the runes on his skin glow either red or blue, so people would assume he’s a surgebinder.

Edited by Aurora the Rioter

@Aurora the Rioter, I agree, he probably would join the Skybreakers, and we would love watching him flying around saying "sorry" whenever he bumped into someone.

Vimes though.................... Vimes in the cosmere would be frightening. If you put a band of koloss in between him Sybil w/ young Sam, bye bye koloss. I can imagine him stalking the streets of Elendel like he does Anhk-Morpork, finding ways to capture and arrest law-breaking allomancers and feruchemists. He seems like a mix of Vasher and Kaladin, with a hint of Dalinar thrown in. 

1 hour ago, I am Witless said:

@Aurora the Rioter, I agree, he probably would join the Skybreakers, and we would love watching him flying around saying "sorry" whenever he bumped into someone.

Vimes though.................... Vimes in the cosmere would be frightening. If you put a band of koloss in between him Sybil w/ young Sam, bye bye koloss. I can imagine him stalking the streets of Elendel like he does Anhk-Morpork, finding ways to capture and arrest law-breaking allomancers and feruchemists. He seems like a mix of Vasher and Kaladin, with a hint of Dalinar thrown in. 

I agree. Vimes would be scary.  He might arrest everyone.  He also would hate the Alethi and all their wars. Although I do like the image of him stalking Elendel.  I also image Carrot getting the bright idea of arresting the Lord Ruler. haha that would be funny to see.

On 12/30/2017 at 5:53 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Personally, I'd love to see Thrawn in the Cosmere. I would love to see him face anyone in a battle, and most likely crush them. I don't think we have seen any character yet who can match him in battle tactics.

+1 Thrawn. He would be awesome! However, the one thing that bugged me about the Thrawn books (the original Thrawn trilogy, at least) is that Thrawn only ever “wins” IIRC one battle- the one where he drops a bunch of cloaked asteroids in orbit around Coruscsnf. Every other time he goes up against the heroes the good guys end up winning due to some brilliant maneuver or twist of fate. If Thrawn was such a military genius the I would have liked to actually see him win every now and then. :rolleyes:

For me, I’d love to see Sylar from Heroes in the Cosmere. He was such a creative and awesome idea for a Villian! If you haven’t seen Heroes...

(slight spoiler for Heroes season 1)

Spoiler

... His superpower is simply that he can see how things work. That’s it. So what does he do with the power? Hunts down other superheroes and cuts their heads open to look at their brains and see how their powers works, then activates the same powers in himself. When he first appears in Heroes he has collected a handful of powers, and he picks up several more throughout the course of the show. 

So stick him in the Cosmere, let him witness Hemallurgy and figure out how it works, then set him loose. He’d make for an awesome sort of anti-Hoid super villain. :)

Great idea, I have 4 characters I think would be interesting if they were apart of the cosmere. Two fictional characters, one movie character, and one comic book hero. I'm basing my choices on the assumption they would be involved with the cosmere as whole and not just one specific world. People that would be involved with people like Hoid, the 17th Shard, Silverlight and other worldhoppers. 

For the fantasy characters I'd first choose Gandalf from LoTR. Seem's like a cliche choice, but I think it'd be super interesting and rewarding. The way Gandalf was written set the tone for the "Powerful old man mentor" trope we see all the time in fantasy. I think if Gandalf were to join the cosmere he would eventually come to hold a Shard or join Hoid in his quest to destroy Rayse. Plus I think his dialogue with people like Sazed and Hoid would lead to some pretty interesting conversations. The second character I'd book would be Tyrion from ASoIaF. Obviously I think Hoid and Tyrion conversations would lead to awesome banter. On top of that it would just be interesting to see someone with Tyrion's mindset in the cosmere. I think he'd join Silverlight and become a great cosmere scholar if he didn't get involved in the politics of the different worlds. 

For the movie character I'd choose the Joker as portrayed as Heath Ledger. Having a "just to watch the world burn" would be welcomed addition in the cosmere. A villain that has no true goal or actively trying to accomplish a dream. A villain that does what he does simply because he loves chaos. I also think the Heath Ledger Joker picking up the Shard Ruin would make for some interesting events. 

The comic book hero I'd choose would be Captain America(Captain Cosmere, ba dum tiss). No matter what he always sticking up for what he thinks in right. It'd be a nice addition to have a cosmere wide character that has no agenda but doing the right thing on behalf of the people. A simple character with a dynamic purpose. 

Riyria Chronicles and Riyria Revelations. Probably a few thousand pages between both series. He wrote them all before releasing them. The main characters are a half-breed elf, a trained knight, and a witch. Lots of fun adventures. The first series is just *mediocre* but his writing improves VASTLY throughout the first series, and I really enjoyed the last three books of the first and the second series. The first series (Revelations) is six books, published in three volumes. Definitely recommended. Would buy again. yes.PNG.a26c22fa068326a7e848e5c64df20747.PNG

1 hour ago, Roadwalker said:

Riyria Chronicles and Riyria Revelations. Probably a few thousand pages between both series. He wrote them all before releasing them. The main characters are a half-breed elf, a trained knight, and a witch. Lots of fun adventures. The first series is just *mediocre* but his writing improves VASTLY throughout the first series, and I really enjoyed the last three books of the first and the second series. The first series (Revelations) is six books, published in three volumes. Definitely recommended. Would buy again. yes.PNG.a26c22fa068326a7e848e5c64df20747.PNG

I believe Arista prefers the term wizardess. ;)

Would buy again and have bought again. I have the paperback, e-book, and audiobook of all the Riyria books. 

7 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

What books are these? Sounds interesting.

Riyria. It's elvish for two. And the duo is absolutely fantastic! 

Royce and Hadrian are paired together so they can learn from one another. Royce is a former professional assassin that grew up in the slum streets. He places little value on human life and trusts no one. He's cynical and lacks any concept of morality.  Right is what's good for him and wrong is what's bad. He's also the absolute king of sass. Hadrian is a former mercenary who can defeat anyone in a one-on-one fight, and even several opponents at once. While he has a bloody history himself, he remains relatively jovial and trusting of those around him. Sometimes a little too much. He's also the prince of sarcasm and a dreamer who always wanted to save the proverbial princess. 

The two are hired by various individuals for thieving and frame jobs, essentially. Archie wants dirt on Lanaklin, so he hires the pair to steal some love letters, which they're then hired by the writer of the letters to steal them back, and so forth. 

There's tons of plot twists woven throughout the books, and they're full of laughs, and some heartbreak as well. Sullivan isn't shy about killing characters off. But if you need a pick me up series after finishing Oathbringer, you should definitely check out Theft of Swords. :)

Plus if you order from his website, you have the option to have them signed and personalized. 

• 4 weeks later...

I want to put Kaz Brekker from Six of Crows into Mistborn Era 1. Kaz and Kelsier would be hilarious fighting over who the better thief is.

Also, Peter Hayes (from the Divergent books) in Stormlight would be... interesting. Or Caleb, that would be great.

I have to agree with Cvothe vs Jasnah, but I'd like Adolin vs Nikolai Lantsov or Elend vs David (from Shadow and Bone). And Andreus (Dividing Eden) with Renarin in Stormlight.

And the TRC characters would HATE Roshar. 

I wonder if anyone understands what books I'm referencing....

• Chaos locked this topic