Cosmere connections

Havoc

Words of Radiance has quite a few connections to other Cosmere worlds, mostly Nalthis

1. Hoid - Completely obvious

2. The letter to Hoid - Again obviously cosmere related

3. Nightblood

"This is not a problem," Nin said, looking back. "I have brought a Shardblade for you. One that is a perfect match for your task and temperament." He tossed his large sword to the ground. It skidded on stone and came to a rest before Szeth.
He had not seen a sword with a metal sheath before. And who sheathed a Shardblade? And the Blade intself... was it black? An inch or so of it had emerged from the Sheath as it slid on the rocks.
Szeth swore he could see a small trail of black smoke coming off the metal. Like Stormlight, only dark.
Hello, a cheerful voice said in his mind. Would you like to destroy some evil today?

4. The Ghostblood's treasure trove (US Hardcover Chapter 43, Page 493)

Other curiosities baffled her. A vial of pale sand. A couple of thick hairpins. A lock of golden hair. The branch of a tree with writing on it she couldn't read. A silver knife. An odd flower preserved in come kind of solution. There were no plaques to explain the mementos. That chunk of pale pink crystal looked like it might be some kind of gemstone, but why was it so delicate? Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it.

So where are each of these from?

• A vial of pale sand - White sand from 'White Sand' (unpublished)
  • A couple of thick hairpins -??
  • A lock of golden hair - Royal Locks from 'Warbreaker'
  • The branch of a tree with writing on it she couldn't read - ??
  • A silver knife - maybe from 'Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell'?
  • An odd flower preserved in come kind of solution - Tears of Edgli from 'Warbreaker'
  • Chunk of pale pink crystal - ??

5. Zahel - Possibly a worldhopper from Nalthis
Speaks oddly, with many colour and flower based metaphors

• "Repeating myself makes me eat the wrong flower"
  • “Good,” Zahel said, settling down on the bed. “And don’t be green from the ground.”
  • “I suppose I don’t need to toughen you up. But boy, you’ve got red on your ears like I’ve never seen.”

Seems to play a similar game to what Lightsong was playing in Warbreaker.

Though the other ardents all busied themselves carrying water, towels, or sparring weapons to dueling lighteyes, Zahel had drawn a circle in the sand and was throwing little colored rocks into it.

6. A mysterious woman as old as Hoid

“That’s right,” Adolin said with a nod. “Stick to women your own age.”
Wit grinned. “Well, that might be a little harder. I think there’s only one of those around these parts, and she and I never did get along.”

Could be referring to either Cultivation or a female worldhopper.

Another Zahel-related quote:

“It’s ridiculously shallow,” Zahel said. “Like an endless bay, mere feet deep. Warm water. Calm breezes. Reminds me of home. Not like this cold, damp, godsforsaken place.”

I don't remember seeing such a place in Warbreaker. Could someone refresh my memory?

As far as I remember there was something odd about the sea of T'Telir, but i don't remember what it was. Maybe it was shallow ? I wish I had the ebook so that i could check.

Edit: Vasher is born in Halladren as far as I know. It was never stated in the book, but you can deduce. He was named by the cult of the returned - native to Halladren.

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

Yes, I was thinking Nalthian for Zahel from the get-go because of the color-metaphors, then the Lifesense (and spren-sense, it seems) pushed him over the edge. Then he thought about a voice in his head and I was just "Vasher."

I agree, Zahel is likely Vasher.  It explains the "voice in the head," the grumpiness, the color metaphors, the game (which I didn't even catch), and the ability with the sword.  My only question is - how can he have survived for years without an influx of breath?  Yes, he could have stored up a huge pile, but that's not a sustainable solution for someone who could survive indefinitely.  Of course, I suppose he could just return to Nalthis for more.

Really fantastic catch!

I agree, Zahel is likely Vasher.  It explains the "voice in the head," the grumpiness, the color metaphors, the game (which I didn't even catch), and the ability with the sword.  My only question is - how can he have survived for years without an influx of breath?  Yes, he could have stored up a huge pile, but that's not a sustainable solution for someone who could survive indefinitely.  Of course, I suppose he could just return to Nalthis for more.

Really fantastic catch!

My guess is that he can use small amounts of stormlight to fill the same role as the "daily breath".  So as long as he's got infused gemstones nearby, he's fine.

Published-sorta Liar of Partinel spoilers:

Pink crystal is probably from the (kinda-published) Liar of Partinel chapters. There's rose-colored crystal shards that speak in people's minds, though they slowly die as they pass from owner to owner. I imagine this one finally died, and the rose color faded and it became a pale pink.

Edited by Moogle

Published-sorta Liar of Partinel spoilers:

Pink crystal is probably from the (kinda-published) Liar of Partinel chapters. There's rose-colored crystal shards that speak in people's minds, though they slowly die as they pass from owner to owner. I imagine this one finally died, and the rose color faded and it became a pale pink.

Why post a link where you have to pay for it.  Seems kind of sketchy.

Vasher himself would explain nightblood, that would be very interesting cameo. PS Now I Understand all RAFO that we gor asking for shardblades against nightblood and If Nightbllod are Wit sword ( he said "very good question but no", Why very good question: indeed why)

And this also rise another question. He come alone or he bringed with him his princess whose name I forget.

The woman with the mask are odd too anyone can make some kind of conection ?

Edited by Natans

The woman with the mask is likely Maiske's (spelling? Ghostblood guy who recruits Shallan) babsk.  She implies that he is her student, and he mentions having a babsk.  Still not a lot of info, but it is something.

I can't decide which thread to put this in.

Zahel knows Hoid:

Kaladin stood in the rain. “Do you know where the King’s Wit is?”

“That fool, Dust? Not here, blessedly. Why?”

Dust was the name Hoid used when introducing himself to Siri in early Warbreaker revisions. (In the later revisions, he just calls himself Hoid.) Zahel may not know the rest of Hoid's story, or even the name Hoid, but he knows Wit calls himself Dust on Nalthis, and can travel between the two worlds.

My guess is Hoid traded Vasher the trip to Roshar, where he could live off Highstorms, in exchange for Breath. But however Vasher got there, he's not loyal to the 17th Shard since he's not hunting Hoid.

Yes, also on page 727 in the hardcover book, Wit admits to having Perfect Pitch, making music much easier.

"He hummed softly to himself and nodded. 'Perfect pitch,' Wit said, 'makes this all so much easier than it once was....'"

So here's some more evidence for Wit's trip to Nalthis, and possible exchange with Vasher. Breath for Stormlight.

However, on the topic of Vasher being Zahel. I'm not sure about this, since there is a planned sequel for Warbreaker now, and I would really like to know when this story happens in relation to that. You know, since he can't jump between worlds mid story. Makes no sense.

Yes, also on page 727 in the hardcover book, Wit admits to having Perfect Pitch, making music much easier.

"He hummed softly to himself and nodded. 'Perfect pitch,' Wit said, 'makes this all so much easier than it once was....'"

So here's some more evidence for Wit's trip to Nalthis, and possible exchange with Vasher. Breath for Stormlight.

However, on the topic of Vasher being Zahel. I'm not sure about this, since there is a planned sequel for Warbreaker now, and I would really like to know when this story happens in relation to that. You know, since he can't jump between worlds mid story. Makes no sense.

Vasher is Zahel. WoP on this. Also, I'm fairly sure this story happens afterwards, though I'm not up on my timeline-fu.